Sign in to follow this  
Age_27

Meigs Field

8 hours ago, Doering said:

Certain types of nostalgia can’t be replicated in real life but can be simulated to trigger memories that have significant meaning. I dare to suggest that more individuals experienced a simulated flight from Meigs field that any other airport through the history of Flight Simulator

Yes absolutely right, simulation is so much more immersive than just looking at photos to recapture the feeling of real flights done years ago.

I do feel obliged once again though, to mention that for those of us in the 1980’s who couldn’t afford a fancy disk drive and relied on the “commodore datasette “  a PA28 based at Champaign-Urbana was the centre of our world 😉🙂

• Like 3

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

On 8/29/2020 at 6:31 AM, jon b said:

I do feel obliged once again though, to mention that for those of us in the 1980’s who couldn’t afford a fancy disk drive and relied on the “commodore datasette “  a PA28 based at Champaign-Urbana was the centre of our world

I am pulling what little hair I have out trying to figure out which C64 Flight simulator you are talking about.  I only remember two civilian ones, Flight Simulator II by Sublogic and Free Flight by Microprose.  But I was unaware any of those came out in datasette form.  

FS II was quite sophisticated for the day, but ooof, the frame rates.  Maybe that's where I got my low expectations for double digit frame rates (lol).

Thank you!

Edited by DJJose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

30 minutes ago, wthomas33065 said:

I am pulling what little hair I have out trying to figure out which C64 Flight simulator you are talking about.  I only remember two civilian ones, Flight Simulator II by Sublogic and Free Flight by Microprose

Sublogic flight simulator II.

The cassette version went from Urbana only up as far north as Kankakee then stopped.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

1 minute ago, hangar said:

Non-Nexus link, anyone?

What's wrong with nexus? I've been using it for almost a decade.

Edited by Tuskin38

You have to sign up for an account and be logged in. That's why I asked for a different link for downloading. I am not a member and do not want to sign up for yet another online account tbh.

Edited by hangar
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 1:23 AM, hangar said:

It's THE flagship airfield of the franchise and I always hope that MS will bring it back into the sim in full glory.

I feel it SHOULD be in there with every version of the sim, just like a Cessna should always be included for the same reasons.

Should be a toggle option

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

7 hours ago, mnpostema said:

I know its not perfect....BUT:

https://www.nexusmods.com/microsoftflightsimulator/mods/192

Enjoy!!!! 🙂

How about them apples.. I missed this..  Installed it.. By no means is it perfect, there is some water masking issues but...  Yeah, but something that uses only built in objects, it... It.. It brings back `the feels'..  Darn well done for only using default objects.. 

aVTs2DU.jpg

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

It will certainly work for me, until the real deal comes along.  I wrote the FSXSE review for Meigs Field a few years ago.  All that research exists on a hard drive in some closet someplace.

• Like 1

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

4 hours ago, hangar said:

You have to sign up for an account and be logged in. That's why I asked for a different link for downloading. I am not a member and do not want to sign up for yet another online account tbh.

I didn't have to sign up in order to d/l. It's only 7.5KB RAR archive.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Daley was just another Chicago thug. Should have been prosecuted, but of course nothing was done at all.

18 hours ago, styckx said:

How about them apples.. I missed this..  Installed it.. By no means is it perfect, there is some water masking issues but...  Yeah, but something that uses only built in objects, it... It.. It brings back `the feels'..  Darn well done for only using default objects.. 

aVTs2DU.jpg

This is looking great! Will be my first add on for sure! Long live Meigs!

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level Ten Minutes of the F-14 Tomcat and Supercarrier - Launch - Mission - Recovery | DCS World | 4K