Sign in to follow this  
jschall

VFRMap - a moving map for MSFS 2020

8 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

Yep!   Just go to this post in the LNM support forum, it has a download and instructions.

Thanks!

Al

Hi all, 

I've been trying to get this to work for ages now and just get it to run even though I've followed the instructions.  The problem seems to be that "localhost:9000" just returns and error each time, as does ,<ip address:9000>.

If anyone can provide me with how their PC is set up and how they've installed it (pretend I'm an word not allowed, lol), I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Glen

8 hours ago, Glendower said:

Hi all, 

I've been trying to get this to work for ages now and just get it to run even though I've followed the instructions.  The problem seems to be that "localhost:9000" just returns and error each time, as does ,<ip address:9000>.

If anyone can provide me with how their PC is set up and how they've installed it (pretend I'm an word not allowed, lol), I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks

Glen

I can get it running on my sim computer but not on a network. It refuses to connect despite turning off firewall and all virus protection. It's a great app but the author doesn't seem to like giving full explanations for getting it running. He gives just a suggested network address, but it doesn't work.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

have you tried replacing "localhost" portion of the address with "1.1.1.1" or "0,0,0,0"? Only times the program hasn't worked for me is when i put the address in the browser before running the exe. Haven't had to turn off any firewall. Might try a different browser?  Firefox and chrome both work for me. 

On 8/29/2020 at 1:27 AM, Torsten said:

I can't get this to work. The map loads, but static/no flight data in the UK (I'm flying in the US). The instructions say to click "load map" in lower left corner - there is no such option, only a few credits to the contributors. Appreciate any suggestions.

Update: Decided to the try the previous version (0.5) and of course, it works like a charm. 🙂

The last version I use v6 there is no "load map" anymore, it loads on its own.

On 8/28/2020 at 10:32 AM, jschall said:
Here it is: https://www.msfsaddons.org/freeware/plugin-vfrmap

It links to the sim via SimConnect and displays your aircraft on a moving map. I've installed it, and it's great.

You can see VFRMap in action here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKVW5sElGVM&t=109s

Hi - and thanks for publishing this!  The flight characteristics window takes up quite a bit of real estate.  I personally would prefer to look at my gauges/instruments for that info and have more map space.  Or at least much smaller font and black space for that info.  Any thoughts about that?

1 hour ago, Fiddler said:

Hi - and thanks for publishing this!  The flight characteristics window takes up quite a bit of real estate.  I personally would prefer to look at my gauges/instruments for that info and have more map space.  Or at least much smaller font and black space for that info.  Any thoughts about that?

hover your pointer in the upper left corner of the window and click on Hide HUD. to get it back refresh the page. works in v7 version.

19 minutes ago, Carts85 said:

Is there any cost to performance with this map?

There was until Asobo fixed the simconnect problem, now I can put the map in a full window on 2nd monitor with no hit to performance that I can see.

• Like 2

I was one of the early adopters of FSTramp (in FSX) that got it on a dirt cheap lifetime rights to use basis, instead of a subscription. The opportunity for lifetime rights (I think it was $40) lasted about 2 weeks after FSTramp was released, and then there was suddenly only an expensive subscription option. No matter, my lifetime rights meant 10 years paying nothing more. A penny a day more or less.

Sadly, we won't see a realistic priced FSTramp for MSFS 2020 in all probability. It does quite a lot, easily, and gracefully. There is nothing like it.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Fidler

>>It links to the sim via SimConnect and displays your aircraft on a moving map. I've installed it, and it's great."

Does this mean there is now no need for Local Host, as described in the VFRMap instructions ??

How exactly do you install it then ?

Thanks in advance...

On 8/29/2020 at 8:49 AM, desbean said:

The map is an actual road map, like google maps. In fact an earlier version used google maps, but now seems to use something similar, not sure why it changed.

I too use this and its great, but man o' man would I love to be able to hook this into google maps...

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

2 minutes ago, Beagle12 said:

Fidler

>>It links to the sim via SimConnect and displays your aircraft on a moving map. I've installed it, and it's great."

Does this mean there is now no need for Local Host, as described in the VFRMap instructions ??

How exactly do you install it then ?

Thanks in advance...

unzip the package into a directory of your choice as described

start msfs 2020 and get yourself in the plane at the airfield of your choice

start the .exe  'vfrmap.exe' (I personally have a shortcut to this on my desktop)

open a browser and type in the local host as described, this is what I use in my browser 'http://localhost:9000/' (I personally have a shortcut to this on my desktop)

you will see it display on that tab of the browser

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K