Sign in to follow this  
BigWings

Windsocks! 🚩

Two observations on windsocks:

1) their response to the wind seems absurd. They often seem to glitch about left and right, up and down in a stop-motion fashion without any real fluidity and don’t seem to provide a reliable indication of wind direction or speed.

2) I’ve noticed their placement often doesn’t match the real world. I’ve wondered why this is the case, and whether it could make for a straightforward fix.  Oftentimes the windsock’s location is really obvious from satellite imagery, as it sits at the centre of a large painted circle. I’m no expert on these things, but I would assume that one way there location could be determined is by programming the AI to identify those circles from the sat imagery and position the windsocks accordingly. 

Any thoughts? Be nice 😋

Yep pretty much what I see. I know it would be nice to fix it. But to me I'd rather have wind first with live weather! 🙂

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Just now, sd_flyer said:

Yep pretty much what I see. I know it would be nice to fix it. But to me I'd rather have wind first with live weather! 🙂

This is very true! 

• Upvote 1

#1 bugs me too. It would help if you reported the problem to them though so they can be made (more) aware of it. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

One thing I’ve noticed is that when I’m far away, it seems like they are elongated and more accurately depict the real winds (despite the winds not being present in the sim). As soon as I get close, they automatically fall down and hang, showing < 3 kts.

14 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

#1 bugs me too. It would help if you reported the problem to them though so they can be made (more) aware of it. 

I will do

• Like 1

small GA airport I just landed at (4N1) doesn't even have the windsock shown on the APD 😒 was hoping I would have to do less "sprucing up" of my destinations in MSFS2020 but looks like I'll be diving into the SDK...

Drew Sikora

Staff Blog

Founder/Designer, MSE Airports

14 minutes ago, FlyingInACessna said:

One thing I’ve noticed is that when I’m far away, it seems like they are elongated and more accurately depict the real winds (despite the winds not being present in the sim). As soon as I get close, they automatically fall down and hang, showing < 3 kts.

That’s an interesting point. Now that you mention it I’ve noticed that too.

Actually, what I've seen of them appeared to be pretty accurate.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It could be that abnormal windsock  behavior directly related  parsing wind data bug  resulting to 3 kts, so windsock unrealistically stretch and collapse.

Well, patch within 6 days now. Any bets when? I'd say Tuesday or Thursday next week!

I noticed strange behaviour even using preset wind conditions. I’ll jump on and try again shortly. 

Edited by BigWings

from what I've experienced in the sim they just don't work . so to fly over runway centre and join midfield having tried to establish wind strength and direction via windsock is a while away ...

I'm loving this sim , however I think its really early access ,  and should have been priced like all other early release games/sims .Or they need to fix it asap 

• Like 1

They look and act very real on my system. 1000x better than FSX and quite a bit better than XP

MCsp7Tv.png

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

14 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

It could be that abnormal windsock  behavior directly related  parsing wind data bug  resulting to 3 kts, so windsock unrealistically stretch and collapse.

Well, patch within 6 days now. Any bets when? I'd say Tuesday or Thursday next week!

I reckon it will come on Wednesday but don't expect a fix to the weather system just yet. I think the guys at Asobo have other priorities right now getting all the initial installation problems fixed.

30 minutes ago, stewartforgie said:

I reckon it will come on Wednesday but don't expect a fix to the weather system just yet. I think the guys at Asobo have other priorities right now getting all the initial installation problems fixed.

Since weather is working in Europe I have a feeling that is some kind of easy fix that has something to do with parsing data correctly. I wish they would delayed the patch but  would add it in