Sign in to follow this  
Cyrex1984

Still using lit textures??

Is it just me or is Asobo using lit textures on the rwy and taxi lights? It dont iluminate the ground or the objects around. I thought this lit texture times was oldschool and finnished in 2020.

Even worse... they are using lit textures for city night lighting. Looks like FSX.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Keto Ketchup said:

What's the alternative? I can't imagine using source lighting for every single light in a city.

Agreed.  You think you have performance problems now?  And why would I care if city lights cast their own light on the ground or not since I am flying above them....unless you like landing on city streets.

21 minutes ago, Emerson67 said:

Even worse... they are using lit textures for city night lighting. Looks like FSX.

No they don't.

I just placed a few custom made objects in my local city with simple Albedo textures and no light map. To my surprise they are lit at night because they catch the light from the streetlighting that the AI places.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Keto Ketchup said:

What's the alternative? I can't imagine using source lighting for every single light in a city.

8 minutes ago, Emerson67 said:

Is that city on fire?

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

21 minutes ago, Emerson67 said:

I know you think you've got a dunk here, but XP11's draw distance on those lights was not nearly good enough so they went with baked textures outside of like a 3NM band, which is exactly what MSFS does except the LOD on the dynamic lights is a little bigger. For XP11, the extended lit textures only show up with default scenery, not orthos. That hard cut at the top of the screen in your video really close to the plane in that video? That's the LOD for the dyanmic lights in XP11 kicking in. Get above a few thousand feet and it's a big immersion breaker.

Never mind how unrealistic that looks.

Edited by bonchie
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Emerson67 said:

This is false. MSFS does what XP11 does, which is dynamic lighting within a certain radius and a transition to lit textures past that for performance reasons. XP11's lit textures only show with default, not 3rd party orthos, so you get a really hard, close cut off of the night lighting. The lighting in MSFS is absolutely dynamic and it exists everywhere.

Spreading disinformation is not a good look.

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Slides said:

Is that city on fire?

The bloom level was modded in that video

You can keep posting videos, but you are still wrong. Both MSFS and XP11 both use dynamic lights within a certain radius. MSFS' ground lighting will illuminate anything, including clouds and surrounding terrain. Both use lit textures past the LOD of the dynamic lights.

Edited by bonchie
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Emerson67 said:

Notice all these videos start at like 3K feet or less to hide the LOD issues. You can also see the hard LOD cutoff in that video at 0:14. Which is why Ben introduced baked textures for XP11, though they don't show with orthos.

Edited by bonchie

The night lighting in MSFS looks completely real. After flying over huge cities at night for thousands of hours, a lot of what people on avsim think looks real, looks completely fake.

On that note, REX is the worst. I can't tell you how many people post pictures of a dusk flight to where it literally looks like they are flying on mars. Or an overly saturated sky.

Lisa Frank anybody?

Because of my points above, I've come to the conclusion above that if many users on avsim think that just sky textures that look like the above mentioned are realistic, then they know way in hell have any real basis to talk about the flight model, or the weather or much of anything else. 

A lot of people on here are a joke because they think they have all the answers about what's real and what isn't.

Yes I could always leave if I don't like it....and no I won't because avsim sti is the best concentrates place for news I'm this hobby.

Edited by ahsmatt7
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda