Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Water runways?

Has anyone found any water runways in MSFS2020? I check 5 or 6 that I normally use and they are not recognized in the sim. 

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I don't know if it was a water runway because I didnt go there but there is a runway in the ocean off the coast near KRSW (Southern Florida west coast).  you might check that.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I have just also found there are no water airports in MSFS not even at the larger cities such as Vancouver and Victoria (Canada) which both have very large water airports.

Another problem is that (using the A5 aircraft) if you start a flight with a custom departure location in the water where the water airport would be, the flight starts in the air which suggests that when a flight starts and the start location is not on a runway or 'programmed' parking location MSFS will not start on the land or water.

Goodness I hope someone develops such water airports with docks as parking locations.

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

The handling of water runways does seem to be bad.

For example, PAEN in Alaska has a dedicated manmade water runway 2W and 20W and if you load the MSFS scenery into LittleNavMap those runways don't even exist.

I also saw a coastal airport (can't remember where) where there was supposed to be a water runway and it had been replaced by an aircraft carrier like asphalt strip sitting in the ocean.

It's like they haven't even considered this when they coded the sim.

Another half-done feature that they threw in enough to check whatever box Jorg/MS considers the "ship it" level of done and move on to the next half-done feature.

Edited by marsman2020
  • Like 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

It does make you wonder what they were thinking when they included the Icon amongst the default craft? Surely they must have considered that you might actually want to use it for it’s intended purpose. Bizarre 🤨

• Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

I found one two days ago, and it was right next to a paved runway, and I can''t remember where it was since I fly in an out of different airports every day. It showed up on my EFB as a different color on the runway which I had never seen before, and I looked it up on Skyvector, and it was in fact a water runway. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Could you look in your logbook to give your memory a jolt? 🙂

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

46 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I found one two days ago, and it was right next to a paved runway, and I can''t remember where it was since I fly in an out of different airports every day. It showed up on my EFB as a different color on the runway which I had never seen before, and I looked it up on Skyvector, and it was in fact a water runway. 

Little Navmap has a "Logbook" tab in its search window which lists airports used in flightplans. By date, time, name, etc. But you obviously have to use Little Navmap.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

42 minutes ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

Could you look in your logbook to give your memory a jolt? 🙂

Found it KARA     

Dimensions:    5000 x 150 feet / 1524 x 46 meters
Surface:    Water
Edge Lighting:    Medium Intensity
SEAWAY EDGE LGTS GREEN; THLD LGTS AMBER.
Runway 17W    Runway 35W
Coordinates:    N30°2.54' / W91°53.36'    N30°1.74' / W91°53.16'
Elevation:    20.3    20.2
Traffic Pattern:    Right    Left
Runway Heading:    168° True    348° True
Declared Distances:    TORA:5000 TODA:5000 ASDA:5000 LDA:5000    TORA:5000 TODA:5000 ASDA:5000 LDA:5000
Markings:    Non-Standard    Non-Standard

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Nice one. I’ll check it out when I next get chance 🙂

There is one at Anchorage, called Lake Hood, and is the busiest airport for Float planes in the world. I flew out of there in RL, over a decade ago. You could stand by the lake shore and see plane after plane landing and taking off. Lots of Beavers on Floats. I don't think it is MSFS because it doesn't show up in my EFB database. It is right next to Anchorage Airport and uses the same Control tower. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Hood_Seaplane_Base

Edited by Bobsk8

It is worth pointing out that if you have a location you know should be a water runway you can land there and save the flight and when you load that flight later you will spawn on the water ready to take off.

I am aware this is not the same as a runway you can add to a flight plan but it is better than nothing 😄

• Like 1

Here are some water airports selectable in MSFS although there are no docks at any (flights only ever start on a 'water' runway). They are all not far from each other

CAC8 Nanaimo Harbor Airport (BC Canada)

CAB3  Bedwell Harbour Seaplane Base Seaplane Base  (BC Canada)

SYF    Silva Bay Airport  (BC Canada)

21H    Skyline Seaplane Base (USA)

W39    ROCHE HARBOR Airport (WA USA)

I have created water airports with scenery (docks) for CAE5 Whistler Canada, CAX3 Sechelt Canada and CYHC Vancouver Harbor Airport but don't know how to release them as shareware/freeware.

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

26 minutes ago, Jarnie said:

I have created water airports with scenery (docks) for CAE5 Whistler Canada, CAX3 Sechelt Canada and CYHC Vancouver Harbor Airport but don't know how to release them as shareware/freeware.

If you're thinking about releasing them as freeware, flightsim.to is a major repository.