Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

Water runways?

I have created a fictional water runway next to York Factory in Northern Manitoba, Canada ( https://flightsim.to/file/17413/york-factory-manitoba ). When I created that scenery a few months ago, I discussed water aerodromes with other scenery developers on fsdeveloper.com. It appears that support for water landings was non-existing when MSFS was first released. I think it was added in spring. At the time when I created York Factory, it was not possible to create docking stations in water yet (I tried ramps, but they would be filled with normal AI airplanes). My guess is that amphibious operations and more water runways will be added over the next year. Until then, creating them ourselves and publishing it on Flightsim.to may be the best option.

Peter

Thanks but I have no idea how to do it there. I posted a message there asking for instructions and never got a response

John

Gigabyte Z390, I7 9700K, 16Gb, RTX2060, Gigabyte 32" monitor

1 hour ago, Jarnie said:

Thanks but I have no idea how to do it there. I posted a message there asking for instructions and never got a response

It is not too difficult: 

- Register an account (for free) on Flightsim.to 

- Take the folder of your project that you created in the community folder and zip it (right click -> send to -> . zip file). 

- On flightsim.to, click on your username (top right corner) and go to "my uploads"

- Clock on "new upload" and follow the instructions. You may want to prepare a few screen shots of your work, and you will have to write a text that includes installation instructions (usually, "unzip to project file and move it into your community folder") and an email address where people can contact you. Also, if you used any programs (like Gimp or Blender) for your projects, you should acknowledge it. And of course, you should not include any copyrighted material in your project. 

Thanks

I will prepare some descriptive texts to also give credit to authors of some freeware scenery object I included.

One airport (Whistler) is actually a rework of the airport created for FSX by someone else (I simply converted it for use in FS2020 and added 3D car tires along the sides of the docks) and I have sent an email to the email address in the original asking for permission (in was created for FSX maybe 14 years ago) and never got a reply not even a 'email address does not exist). Maybe it went to the persons spam folder and he overlooked it BUT what do I need to do about that? Maybe just mention the facts and the original 'author' and their email address?

John

I wonder though about including static floatplane aircraft 'borrowed' fro FSX (there are none at present for FS2020).

Leave them out or include with a note in the readme file?

John

Do not include any files that were created by someone else, except when you have explicit permission. Sending the author an email is a very good idea. And you should not include objects converted from another simulator, this is forbidden most of the time. 

9N2 in Philadelphia 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Originally there weren't any.  But by now, of course, there are a ton of water runways.

CNQ5, CRB7  and CTY3 are in my area.

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

In Little Navmap you can filter on runway surface. Set it to water.

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

To find water runways go the the world map and at the bottom click more, then filters.  Select water runways, the turn off all the other types.

Every dot you see is a water runway,  You have to zoom in to see them.  They're hundreds of them.

Don't try the Alaska ones right  now if you have live weather on.  You will  get stuck in the ice.  🙂

Roy

Edited by Roy Warren
Added Note: Leave Airports On

Lake Hood in Alaska is now in the MSFS data base, PALH..  You can select water runways in MSFS to start flight ( providing you have an aircraft with floats?? 😉)

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

They are all over the place and well marked if you zoom into the world map. Don't know what the big problem is?