Sign in to follow this  
Cat_Dad

Large 4K or VR?

II am looking for your opinions on either a large 4K screen (50inch plus) or a new generation VR headset to use in X-plane 11.5 . Both will be in approximately the same price range but will the VR have the same or better resolution of a large 4K monitor/tv? 

I would be running them on a i9 9900k with 32 Gb ram and a RTX 2080 and a 2 TB Nvme SSD.

Oh I can only see in one eye and that is not very good, hence the need for a large screen. Currently using a small 40 inch Samsung 1080P TV.

If any out there running the large screen or VR, please let me know what you think about your X-plane experience with these devices.

Thanks

Terry

The VR experience is absolutely superior to that of a flat screen. Once you have it, you will never want to go back!

Felix

@Cat_Dad

Have you tried VR before, or can somehow get to use one before committing to a purchase? To me, the drawbacks (very subjective), weight of unit, not being able to see my controls and additional devices (ipad / kneeboard) kept me away from VR. This may or may not be an issue for you.

I have a 60 inch TV, and the sim look awesome with this view...to me...and where I sit (TV sits about 1 foot off of the floor in front of my sim cockpit)....it is as if i am sitting in the cockpit, and using TackIR gives me the ability to look around, especially for Helis in XP. There would obviously be some limitations with this setup given what you shared concerning your vision.

Both setups do raise concerns about a light source being close to the eye, so I ultimately plan to get a 4k projection screen setup.

However, for now my vote is for a large screen.

Edited by FlyBaby

11 minutes ago, Flyfox said:

The VR experience is absolutely superior to that of a flat screen. Once you have it, you will never want to go back!

what he said. 

AutoATC Developer

28 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

not being able to see my controls and additional devices

Do you drive a car?

Do you drive around your car staring at the steering wheel and pedals?

Same thing for VR, you know where they are and grab them without looking.

Oh, and if you have them matched to the cockpit of the aircraft, of course you can see them, you see the virtual versions of them and they move when you move your controls, in which case its just your hands you cant see.

that does depend on the controls though, once you have VR you probably want the cockpit to go with it

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

If you have time check this out.

Tobii Eye Tracker 5

This is what I use on a 4K Dell 50 monitor and very happy versus on a VR system that I used before where the resolution is not 4K (yet or I don't know).

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Hi Terry,

if you can only see on one eye, VR is pretty much ruled out. I guess you could use a VR headset, but the biggest point speaking for it - the 3D effect - can only be experienced with stereoscopic (both eyes) vision.

I run an (old) Rift VR headset in X-Plane, and my experience is twofold:

If I want to fly an airliner where reading small font (FMS) is of importance and where I look at long(ish) sessions, using a 4K screen is the better choice for me.

Flying helicopters, on the other hand, is much more immersive (and a lot easier) if you have a VR headset, because the ability to quickly swivel your head and judge distances is so important when landing them.

In general the "immersion" of flying in VR is something that has to be experienced - it is utterly breathtaking.

The way you manipulate the controls and switches depends on the headset, I use the handles that come with my Rift and it feels very natural - I do use my HOTAS setup for the actual flight control surfaces (and rudder!) though.

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Do you drive a car?

Do you drive around your car staring at the steering wheel and pedals?

Same thing for VR, you know where they are and grab them without looking.

Oh, and if you have them matched to the cockpit of the aircraft, of course you can see them, you see the virtual versions of them and they move when you move your controls, in which case its just your hands you cant see.

that does depend on the controls though, once you have VR you probably want the cockpit to go with it

I drive a car, and I do have to reach for (and glance at) additional controls (climate controls etc), so its not just about the steering wheel and pedal, and therefore...it is not the same thing for VR

Every flight setup is different....keyboard / mouse are other controls (not in cars) that can't be seen (peripheral awareness) when using VR headsets in flight simulators...

To each his own, I am not here trying to "sell" my idea, I answered the OPs post and I am sure that he can evaluate the responses to make a decision.

If VR works for you, and you like that extra weight and heat strapped to year head while you play, go for it.

46 minutes ago, Janov said:

if you can only see on one eye

admit I didnt read this. but it doesnt change my answer so much as needs more detail.

id say you need to try it first. I think the full 360 degree immersion is something you will greatly appreciate. But at the same time there is a lot more to it that might be deal breakers. 

36 minutes ago, FlyBaby said:

additional controls

thats what a virtual co pilot is for, just ask and they will oblige.

or use the VR hand controllers

either way mouse/keyboard should be in your controller repertoire (VR or not) only if you are entering stuff in an FMC or flying an airbus. 

AutoATC Developer

7 minutes ago, mSparks said:

either way mouse/keyboard should be in your controller repertoire (VR or not) only if you are entering stuff in an FMC or flying an airbus. 

Oh, I did not know that you are the expert on how people should use their setup, let me know how that career works out for you...and...

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

Do you drive a car?

...let me know if you can close your eyes while sitting in your car, and adjust your climate controls.

Thanks for the links and videos. I would like the Tobie Eye Tracker 5 due to the ability to still have a big screen without a huge investment. Looks like X-plane is not on the Tobie game list though. I believe X-plane does work with Track IR but I have not had good results with that and sent back the equipment several years ago.. 

I understand the drive/fly by feel technique described in the other video. I worked on Air Force sims in the 70s and 80s and a lot of switches even back then were shaped with unique shapes so that you could select a system by feel and keep the head out of the cockpit.

I guess  testing both systems would be the next step to see which one works best for me.

Thanks for all the input.

Terry

I already have 2 bad eyes, hate to think of what the long term affects will be staring at 2 screens 2 " from your eyes, I use track ir with xcamera, had it for ages with FSX only being really seriously  using it since vulcan, now dont fly without it.

13 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

Oh, I did not know that you are the expert on how people should use their setup,

Ive got a pplh, about 80 hours in my log book and last time I looked some 2000 hours in xplane VR.

Not sure that alone qualifies me as an expert per se, but fairly sure you will be very hard pressed to find anyone with similar experience.

You are of course perfectly entitled to continue ignoring it since you are so happy with your current setup.

VR controls are a solved problem (probably more so than non VR controls)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

17 hours ago, killthespam said:

If you have time check this out.

Tobii Eye Tracker 5

@killthespam

I think Tobii eye tracker is not compatible with XP 11. Is it?

Thks

Edited by gauchofree

There are specific functions designed for different software but eye and head tracking can be used on any and has fine menu adjustments.

I had it working on early version of the XP 11 but it took me a few days to adjust it properly, very long process IMHO but so much worth it on my 4K monitor. I'm using it with only P3D now.

All the best.

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090