Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Turn off the forced sharpening filter for a cleaner image.

1 hour ago, Gomoto said:

Yes tested twice, the edited changes stay also when you change something in the ingame options. The other guy talked about it "seems" like the edit gets overridden.

Well, in my case, when the sim runs, it overwrites this file and resets the values. It happens every time.  I would be interested to know why it does this in my case.

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

Well, I must say I like this sharpening filter, works better than the internal sharpening, thank you Colonel.

Cheers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, smoothchat said:

Well, in my case, when the sim runs, it overwrites this file and resets the values. It happens every time.  I would be interested to know why it does this in my case.

Same here..

• Like 1

Bert

On 8/30/2020 at 11:05 PM, overt said:

I don't know how you can possibly see this as an improvement, it looks terrible, like I dropped my resolution down a notch. Maybe in 4k it looks better.

It is because you have been used to it being artificially sharpened. Like getting used to too much salt on your food. Then you stop the salt and after a while wondered why you ever salted your food to begin with.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 1:38 PM, Colonel X said:

Update: Getting rid of the sharpening also kills the shimmering/aliasing on buildings. Seems like this bolt on sharpening works completely against the TAA, which is absolutely brilliant with sharpening off. Also, the clouds become smoother, the dithering/noise which in some circumstances plague the clouds is gone!

Dang, I was hoping this was the case but it didn't change any of the shimmering for me.

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

12 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

Dang, I was hoping this was the case but it didn't change any of the shimmering for me.

What render scale are running and do you run TAA?

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

For those users, where the file gets overridden. Are you using this path?

C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Well, i have changed the number from 1 to 0 and it really looks a lot better! No shimmering or weird dark spots! And the file remains untouched after starting up the sim. I have the premium version from MS store and yes i am using TAA. So i am happy i changed this setting!

Thanks Colonel X!!

OS: Windows 11 Home 64bit//Case: NZXT H7 Elite Black//CPU: i9 13900KS@6ghz//Mobo: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX//AIO: Corsair H150i Elite LCD Capellix Black//RAM: Kingston Fury Renegade RGB DDR5 6400Mhz - 64GB//GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC//Storage: Seagate FireCuda 530 - 4TBx2 plus 1x Intel SSDPEKNW020T8-2TB//PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W//Monitor: LG 37,5 L 38WP85C-W//Joystick: Saitek X-52 Pro//Keyboard: Logitech G213 Prodigy

At this point I'd be curious to know why the setting wideviewaspect=1 resets to 0 every time, even after setting the file to 'read only'.

2 hours ago, smoothchat said:

Happens here too. It's weird that this works for some people and not others. Are some of you running MSFS in Administrator mode (I'm not)?

I'm not going to mess with the read/write status of anything in the official folders. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I don't accept tips from X planers!

(Kidding). Thanks a lot I'll have to try this for sure.  My sim looks like word not allowed at 1080P.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

11 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

My sim looks 2x better now. All that ugly shimmering and weird artifacts gone. Thanks !

Please show me the screenshots. We want to compare how much better it looks.

• Like 1

EVGA 2080 Ti  FTW3 Hybrid , 8700K, 2Tb 970 EVO Plus, 48 Гб HyperX

MSFS 2020 Tech Alpha Insider

3 hours ago, Gomoto said:

Yes tested twice, the edited changes stay also when you change something in the ingame options. The other guy talked about it "seems" like the edit gets overridden.

It does.

JSGKFBO.jpg

RSG5MTr.jpg

File is locked and saved changes don't stick when reloading sim.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”