Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Turn off the forced sharpening filter for a cleaner image.

1 hour ago, Colonel X said:

What render scale are running and do you run TAA?

Render scale is 120 (running 1080p) and TAA is enabled. Settings are Ultra.

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

59 minutes ago, Gomoto said:

For those users, where the file gets overridden. Are you using this path?

C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Yes.

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

That's the path I'm using too (above).

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I'm also running in admin mode. Will try without, just have to finish this flight first 🙂

I cannot seem to change ownership of flie, I get this message:

24DhbUr.jpg

Edited by flavik77

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

I have no idea about the different behaviour.

Perhaps if you change to preset like ultra or high it is different than a single setting, but that is just a further guess.

Edited by Gomoto

At 1080P setting 0 fixed the terrible jaggies.  It did introduce a slight fuzzyness but I'll take that over the jaggies.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Love this mod. I had bad shimmering almost like AA wasn't active plus I prefer the "softer" look. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Got it working! Turned out I couldn’t use admin mode for the file settings to stick. Interestingly, admin mode prevented GeForce Experience screenshots using hotkey as well.

Visuals are really good now - the cloud edge artifacts and vegetation shimmering/aliasing is all but gone. 

Thanks a bunch @Colonel X for sharing this! 🏆

• Like 1

It's a no go for me, too much blurry, out of focus, too soft (1080 res).

• Upvote 1

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

8 hours ago, Baber20 said:

My sim looks 2x better now. All that ugly shimmering and weird artifacts gone. Thanks !

To be honest the only time I have found sharpening really has a truly legitimate purpose (at least on the Nvidia RTX series cards) is if you are using DSR upscaling along with specific supersampling settings. These two technologies alone will excessively soften the image purely on account of the technology being deployed in the upsampling and supersampling. But in pretty much every other case I can think of its just like the settings that TVs come with straight from the factory. Way overboard with colour, saturation, contrast and sharpening just to make everything "pop" on the showroom floor. But it is not natural.

But I agree with what people are saying about this and an analogy I like to use is holding down the accelerator and brake pedal and the same time. The AA and the sharpening just fight each other. Even when I first loaded this sim it just didn't look right at all. Not just the shimmering despite all the AA and but also things like a halo effect around certain objects which itself is an artifact of excessive post processing. Again, same thing can be seen when modern TV settings are taken to extremes rather than toned down to appear natural.

The benchmark for this sim in terms of appearance should be real world up to date YouTube videos from real cockpits using high end consumer cameras or what I see when I go flying myself for real. The real world does not "pop" in your face like this sim does - it is just there, clear and detailed but not overdone or overbearing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gomoto said:

I have no idea about the different behaviour.

Perhaps if you change to preset like ultra or high it is different than a single setting, but that is just a further guess.

I can remove the sharpen line from the file, and it gets put back in..

No idea how any of you can make this change stick.. 🙂

Bert

I was able to come up with a solution to the file being overwritten that worked for me on my system and it might work for you. Below are the steps: 

1. Make sure MSFS is not running.
  2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to the UserCfg.opt file and right click on it. 
  3. The system will display a menu. Click on Properties.
  4. The system will display a dialog box. Open the Security tab.
  5. Within the Security tab, you will see a Group or User Names box. Make sure that SYSTEM is selected.
  6. Below that box, click the Edit button
  7. A new dialog box displays called Permissions for UserCfg.opt
  8. Within this new dialog box, there is another the Group or User Names box. Make sure that SYSTEM is selected.
  9. Below this Group or User Names box, there is a box labeled Permissions for SYSTEM. This contains rows of permission types with two columns of check boxes to the right. These two columns are labeled Allow and Deny and you will see that the check boxes for Allow are selected. 
  10. Click the check boxes in the Deny column for all of the rows: Full Control, Modify, Read & Execute, Read, and Write. Special Permissions which is the last row does not seem to be selectable, but don't worry about that. 
  11. Click the Apply button on the bottom right and then click OK. The Permissions for UserCfg.opt dialog box will close and the dialog box that was behind it will display.
  12. Click the OK button on the bottom of that dialog box. 
  13. Go to the UserCfg.opt file and change the Sharpen setting from 1 to 0. Save and close the file.
  14. Start up MSFS.
  15. Once you are in the game, go to Windows Explorer and check the UserCfg.opt file to see if the Sharpen value is still 0.
  16. If all is good then smile. 

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

1 hour ago, MikeT707 said:

I was able to come up with a solution to the file being overwritten that worked for me on my system and it might work for you. Below are the steps: 

1. Make sure MSFS is not running.
  2. In Windows Explorer, navigate to the UserCfg.opt file and right click on it. 
  3. The system will display a menu. Click on Properties.
  4. The system will display a dialog box. Open the Security tab.
  5. Within the Security tab, you will see a Group or User Names box. Make sure that SYSTEM is selected.
  6. Below that box, click the Edit button
  7. A new dialog box displays called Permissions for UserCfg.opt
  8. Within this new dialog box, there is another the Group or User Names box. Make sure that SYSTEM is selected.
  9. Below this Group or User Names box, there is a box labeled Permissions for SYSTEM. This contains rows of permission types with two columns of check boxes to the right. These two columns are labeled Allow and Deny and you will see that the check boxes for Allow are selected. 
  10. Click the check boxes in the Deny column for all of the rows: Full Control, Modify, Read & Execute, Read, and Write. Special Permissions which is the last row does not seem to be selectable, but don't worry about that. 
  11. Click the Apply button on the bottom right and then click OK. The Permissions for UserCfg.opt dialog box will close and the dialog box that was behind it will display.
  12. Click the OK button on the bottom of that dialog box. 
  13. Go to the UserCfg.opt file and change the Sharpen setting from 1 to 0. Save and close the file.
  14. Start up MSFS.
  15. Once you are in the game, go to Windows Explorer and check the UserCfg.opt file to see if the Sharpen value is still 0.
  16. If all is good then smile. 

Did you miss readonly attribute, that people wrote above, or not even needed ? I didn't have any problem with changing the file, so no change of permissions was necessary. I've checked Sharpen stays at 0.

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98

How about that Sharpen postfilter that I use with Experience? Does it stay or do I need to apply it every time?

Thanks.

Edited by Dirk98