Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Turn off the forced sharpening filter for a cleaner image.

13 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Then call me "Madman Farlis" from now on. I did a hardware switch from Intel to AMD in March, and did not change a single thing on my software side, no deinstallations, no clean new start.

I too am a madman, I brought a new system a while back and dropped an image from macrium reflect from the old to the new, had no issues,windows and backup software is pretty clever these days and strips the necessary drivers and allows windows to rebuild on start up

Edited by Jetman67
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

On 9/13/2020 at 6:45 AM, Gabe777 said:

According to Eurogamer or Guru, whichever did the CPU detailed analysis, the best performance was with 6 physical cores.

I ran the 9900K@5.0Ghz w/ HT disabled w/ RTX 2070 Super and had overall very good total performance provided I setup w/in the GPU's capabilities, and it is clearly the weak part of this show.  I was getting those 'long frames' where the 8 core CPU would suddenly bounce up from around 40-60% utilization to 100% for maybe 2-3 seconds, then settle right back down again, even when staying well under VRAM/GPU utilization.  This would happen most in the most dense scenery, but not always.  When I enabled HT this changed everything, truly.  Have yet to have one 'long frame', and utilization is nicely distributed amongst 16 threads now.   They will fluctuate and generally stay around 15%-40% utilization, and that was taking off out of KSNA in Los Angeles area.  Occasional one thread will bounce up to near 100% and go right back down but it's brief and causes no stutter whatsoever, but overall they all are pretty close to even.  There is a reason for this:  I run VSYNC to a 30Hz screen, so there is time for everything to play together well, provided I don't overload the GPU.  Everything runs cool on air, and the CPU seems like it's just loafing along.  This means there is headroom for study-level offerings I feel.  I'm ordering an RTX 3090 as soon as possible and look forward to solving the VRAM question for several years.

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

If you are setting V sync in the SIM and locking at 30 FPS, you will get terrible stuttering. It is basically broken currently in MSFS. Threads exist about this.

Try RivaTuner (part of MSi Afterburner) and set Scanline sync to X/2 and the value to the right, to -1.

(This is if you have a 60hz native monitor.)

Leave V Sync OFF in the SIM... It is BADLY broken.

Then set your windows driver at 60 FPS. (This is if you have a 60hz native monitor.)

Then do your experiments again.

I have a feeling the Eurogamer and Guru analyses, were probably done using G sync...which is clearly the best and smoothest approach.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jetman67 said:

I too am a madman, I brought a new system a while back and dropped an image from macrium reflect from the old to the new, had no issues,windows and backup software is pretty clever these days and strips the necessary drivers and allows windows to rebuild on start up

This is interesting. So did your entire motherboard chipset change ?

I always assumed a complete reinstall would be required.

On 9/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, Keto Ketchup said:

Which is it, six or eight?

Got an i7-8086K clocked at 4.9 with HT. 12 logical cores will surely be enough? I’ve got 10 of those logical cores reserved for MSFS. 

I’m certainly not ready for a CPU or MB upgrade yet. The 3090 will surely drain the rest of my savings, along with a more powerful PSU. Oh yeah, almost forgot the water block..

Hopefully I’ll be able to save some $ for Christmas presents when the time comes. 

Edited by flavik77
Almost off topic. Freestyle sharpening of 50% seems sufficient

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

20 minutes ago, flavik77 said:

Got an i7-8086K clocked at 4.9 with HT. 12 logical cores will surely be enough? I’ve got 10 of those logical cores reserved for MSFS. 

I’m certainly not ready for a CPU or MB upgrade yet. The 3090 will surely drain the rest of my savings, along with a more powerful PSU. Oh yeah, almost forgot the water block..

Hopefully I’ll be able to save some $ for Christmas presents when the time comes. 

If anything,  you can have the family huddle around your 3090 to keep warm during the winter while you're still sorting out your MFS2020 optimization settings.... 🙂

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

1 hour ago, flavik77 said:

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-rtx-3080-3090-d-rgb-nickel-plexi

Edited by Richard Sennett

Rich Sennett

44 minutes ago, javelina said:

to keep warm during the winter

A new PSU will surely help with this.

6 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

Thanks! I missed this.

”This block is made for reference PCB 3080 and 3090 cards. Founders Edition does NOT have a reference PCB.”

Holding off with GPU order until EK makes a list of compatible cards. An even better offer would be a 3rd party WC card like the one I’ve got. 

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

35 minutes ago, flavik77 said:

A new PSU will surely help with this.

Thanks! I missed this.

”This block is made for reference PCB 3080 and 3090 cards. Founders Edition does NOT have a reference PCB.”

Holding off with GPU order until EK makes a list of compatible cards. An even better offer would be a 3rd party WC card like the one I’ve got. 

Yah I would also EK has never let me down - Bykski has one also now - do a quick search on YT - theres a video - EK all the way for me - nothing wrong with Bykski as I have a distro plate from them EK wouldnt fit - they dont offer many choices in distro plates

Rich Sennett

Allow me to bring this topic back to life. Since the last patch MSFS looks EXTREMELY sharp. Trees in the distance were all hard pixels sticking out of the scenery, cities looked like a shimmering mess, there was a moiré effect everywhere, it was bloody awful. I read about editing the UserCfg.opt but as with many others here the Sharpen at 0 wouldn't stick. Even when I made the file read only and sharpen was at 0 I'd still had that grainy, pixelated look! Then someone on the official MSFS forum suggested that the UserCfg.opt not sticking to Sharpen 0 or not having an effect might have to do with the automatic GeForce Experience setting. Now I don't use Experience, I always only install the driver, but I did have the driver set to 'Let the 3D application decide'. After changing this to 'Use the advanced 3D image settings' (with default settings) 1. Sharpen at 0 wasn't reset anymore even with the file NOT on read only and 2. the sharpening in MSFS was solved!!! Things look lovely fuzzy at this moment, no more pixelated trees sticking out of the scenery! Everything smoothly blends into one another! Awesome! I will play a bit with the nVidia sharpening option (because the cockpit looks a bit too fuzzy) but I seriously prefer this realistic looking smooth fuzzy scenery over the sharpened one!!!

Edited by tup61
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Allow me to bring this topic back to life. Since the last patch MSFS looks EXTREMELY sharp. Trees in the distance were all hard pixels sticking out of the scenery, cities looked like a shimmering mess, there was a moiré effect everywhere, it was bloody awful. I read about editing the UserCfg.opt but as with many others here the Sharpen at 0 wouldn't stick. Even when I made the file read only and sharpen was at 0 I'd still had that grainy, pixelated look! Then someone on the official MSFS forum suggested that the UserCfg.opt not sticking to Sharpen 0 or not having an effect might have to do with the automatic GeForce Experience setting. Now I don't use Experience, I always only install the driver, but I did have the driver set to 'Let the 3D application decide'. After changing this to 'Use the advanced 3D image settings' (with default settings) 1. Sharpen at 0 wasn't reset anymore even with the file NOT on read only and 2. the sharpening in MSFS was solved!!! Things look lovely fuzzy at this moment, no more pixelated trees sticking out of the scenery! Everything smoothly blends into one another! Awesome! I will play a bit with the nVidia sharpening option (because the cockpit looks a bit too fuzzy) but I seriously prefer this realistic looking smooth fuzzy scenery over the sharpened one!!!

Thank you very. much, I thought I was alone thinking it was over sharpen+++ after the patch

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

@tup61,

You mention the following:

'I always only install the driver, but I did have the driver set to 'Let the 3D application decide'. After changing this to 'Use the advanced 3D image settings' (with default settings)'

But I don't see in the Nvidia Control Panel (I'm on 451.48) where that is set. Thanks for the info!

Dave W.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Would also like to know where this setting is as well. Could you show us a screenshot or something? Is it under NVIDIA Control Panel?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I think he means the "adjust image settings with preview under "3D settings".

Roi Ben

I have now set sharpening to 0 in the UserCfg.opt file, and wow, now the shimmering and that ugly oversharpening effect is gone and my game looks fabulous 👍

• Like 2

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |