Sign in to follow this  
Colonel X

Turn off the forced sharpening filter for a cleaner image.

2 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

I think he means the "adjust image settings with preview under "3D settings".

Correct.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

9 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

I have now set sharpening to 0 in the UserCfg.opt file, and wow, now the shimmering and that ugly oversharpening effect is gone and my game looks fabulous 👍

Confirm positive effect. I use "sharpening to 0" with 1080Ti and 4K monitor and everything perfect!

• Like 1

Not for me, I always and still get this strange shimmer around the user plane, like it is slightly glowing. No matter if sharpening is set to 0 or 1, no matter if I use the nVIDIA image sharpening or not. Really annoying. This with a 1080Ti and the current drivers and most on "ultra". Of note, this effect is not permanently visible. In a really sunny day, it is almost unrecognizable. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, AnkH said:

Not for me, I always and still get this strange shimmer around the user plane, like it is slightly glowing. No matter if sharpening is set to 0 or 1, no matter if I use the nVIDIA image sharpening or not. Really annoying. This with a 1080Ti and the current drivers and most on "ultra". Of note, this effect is not permanently visible. In a really sunny day, it is almost unrecognizable. 

Agree! Same here... 

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Same here. I get bad shimmers where I didn't before. The cloud reflections in water are like blocky square jigsaw puzzles, and there is a distinct graining on clouds and terrain whatever settings I choose in Nvidia or the sim graphics. I can't be alone in this. I switched off sharpening in both Nvidia and the sim's user options cfg. Still getting graining everywhere. I've tried three different graphics drivers and there is no difference.

If someone could impart their graphics settings I'd be pleased to hear what they are, if it clears up the shimmer and film graining.

• Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

23 minutes ago, robert young said:

If someone could impart their graphics settings I'd be pleased to hear what they are, if it clears up the shimmer and film graining.

I use almost all at Ultra settings except Terrain Level Of Detail at 120, and Volumetric Clouds at High because i think they look better in High than in Ultra, I have sharpening set to 0 in both Nvidia and in the game file, I'm using a 2080Ti at 1440x3440 with the driver that was optimized for MSFS at release.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 hour ago, buspelle said:

Agree! Same here... 

Here too. The latest update definitely improved AA and overall performance, but the pixelation from sharpening is still making the clouds quite ugly, and the aircraft shimmer a bit. I'm also on a 1080ti on a mix of ultra and high settings. 

There are two sharpening options available in the UserCfg file, the one at the bottom called GraphicsVR that we are talking about here, and a further one called just Graphics, does anyone know what this graphics setting affects in the game? I have tried to set this to 0 as well and I guess it gave an improvement, but it could just as well be a placebo effect.

Edited by Ixoye

On 11/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, Ixoye said:

There are two sharpening options available in the UserCfg file, the one at the bottom called GraphicsVR that we are talking about here, and a further one called just Graphics, does anyone know what this graphics setting affects in the game? I have tried to set this to 0 as well and I guess it gave an improvement, but it could just as well be a placebo effect.

I'm not sure to get your point but I always assumed that the section {GraphicsVR} was dedicated for VR mode and I personally edit only the {Graphics} section as I only play on screen.

• Like 3

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

BTW: i got rid of my shimmer/glare by reducing ambient occlusion down to low. So it was not related to post processing via useropt.cfg...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS