Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous Beans

MSFS 2020 Carenado CT182T aircraft.cfg

I was wondering why the aircraft,cfg for this plane is encrypted, its called aircraft.loc and is gibberish if you open it in notepad.

This is going to make it really difficult to do repaints for as you need an aircraft.cfg to add them to.

Edited by Dangerous Beans

16 hours ago, Dangerous Beans said:

I was wondering why the aircraft,cfg for this plane is encrypted, its called aircraft.loc and is gibberish if you open it in notepad.

This is going to make it really difficult to do repaints for as you need an aircraft.cfg to add them to.

Glad I saw this before an impulse buy! This renders this product a "wait and see". Payware aircraft may be off the table for me.

Arthur Lewis

This is my 3rd time buying it ( P3D, XP11 ) and I'm not regretting it. It's the closest thing to what I'm flying IRL ( C182S w half glass )
There's a bunch of little issues, but I'm still enjoying flying it and I'm not even that annoyed that there's no discount for previous owners - like Orbx's stuff.

@brent.houston How is the performance modeling in this aircraft? Looking for something that I can reliably plan a flight around. The default aircraft just haven't been cutting it.

It's about default level, to be honest. You can follow a real checklist and flick all the right switches and sorta use it as a procedural trainer - but it doesn't punish you if you do something wrong, or forget an item.

That being said - I've only run across minor items and you don't run out of fuel halfway, like a couple of the default a/c.

It seems a bit high on the performance...  I'm flying a 182S IRL right now, and have never flown a 182T - but in my experience this one accelerates and decelerates faster than the real thing. I don't always bother to match weights, ( Carenado defaults to much lighter than I would fly - usually with 1-2 pax in back ) but I have loaded it exactly and it still seems OP.

I've matched enroute flight times and it's pretty close...   1:45 IRL for one trip, and  1:41 in the sim with similar settings. So it might be ok for what you're looking for. 

Carenado does the best looking planes of any 3rd party developer, but systems are pretty much always default level. Don't expect A2A.

Issues I've seen:

• Non-existent fuel cut-off valve is on, if you start cold and dark ( cut off is on the fuel selector IRL - not a separate valve like the default C172 ) - you need to hit ALT+V to open the valve. ( If you prime the engine w/o opening the valve - you still see fuel flow )
  • MP gauge on G1000 doesn't show decimals ( it does on XP11 and P3D )
  • Right Quick View doesn't work - shows Left Quick View
  • I've had the AP go insane and try to flip the plane ( after active pause, maybe? - I think this is a global issue ) - normally works ok.
  • Also, got stuck on 10 deg increments only on the Heading Bug part-way through a flight ( probably also a global thing ) - normally it's fine. This also seemed to affect the APs ability to capture a path

On 8/29/2020 at 8:46 PM, Dangerous Beans said:

Me too!

I have seen repaints for the default aircraft that go into the community folder (anything like the "community chest" in monopoly??) and I have managed my first locator repaint for the default C172 - but I did have to overwrite one of the new community freeware textures (keeping same folder name) from the megapack to get anything workable. But doing the same in the official content folder for the Carenado C182 is a no go. As you say - there's no aircraft.cfg to change and point at your newly painted textures.

While I am on that subject - how does one create a new set of all the texture and layout files and folders to make your repaint a standalone package to upload to the library?

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

On 8/29/2020 at 2:46 PM, Dangerous Beans said:

I think this is true, and also false... aircraft.loc opens just fine in Notepad++, but it's just the aircraft description in all of the various supported languages. Aircraft Localisation File, according to the first line.  However, the OP is correct that there is no aircraft.cfg file to be found.  My guess is that it is encrypted in the Cfg.fsarchive found in the SimObjects folder... but I have no way of confirming that.  Either way, except for their earliest offerings, Carenado has been notorious for making things difficult for repainters.

While I am on that subject - how does one create a new set of all the texture and layout files and folders to make your repaint a standalone package to upload to the library?

You need that aircraft.cfg file.  If you look in your Megapacks and at the corresponding default aircraft in the "Official" packages folder, you'll find one exactly where you'd expect it to be.  Not so for the Carenado aircraft.

Edited by ericbgee

Cheers!

Eric Gee

Certified RTFM instructor

Any payware in the MSFS "store" will have DRM active....you don't have access to the aircraft.cfg

WW5130.png

| i9-10900F - 2080Ti | 32 GB RAM | Win 11 Pro | HC Bravo | AAO | StreamDeck | Air Manager |