Sign in to follow this  
jaydor

3rd party Developer's to be held to account

The 3rd party developers seem to be torn between the Devil and the Deep.  Rushing models out to stay in the game to keep customers happy and produce stuff that is obviously a port over with mods. 

Or wait until they learn the new processes that they are going to have to learn to develop 2020 standard models.  Those who still wish to be port over kings will soon be left by the roadside. 

New developers will start arriving to 2020 and bring with them better standards than what we saw in X-Plane/P3D. 

FSX/P3d Dev's have had it to themselves far to long and been a bit over priced compared to X-Plane because there was no competition, that is about to change.

Keep your money and force these Developers to produce to the new 2020 standard, if we don't, then they will only keep producing outdated stuff modified to work in 2020.

And that would be our fault...

Edited by jaydor
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 3

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

I share your sentiments entirely. It's the only way we can force through decent QC.

However, there's something of a lemming mentality when it comes to various devs and people just throw themselves at a release. Leaping without looking first.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 6

From what I've seen the mod community already doing - 3rd party developers need to lift their game big time.  I just installed a few nice freeware scenery bits (Sydney Harbour Bridge/Sky Tower and Stonehenge) and modded the A320 and I'm using the upgraded VFR map.  I'm more excited to see what the mod community does with this sim than the Payware companies which I've been throwing money at for the last 5+ years with meh results.

Edited by VBHB
  • Like 13

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

6 minutes ago, Will Fly For Cheese said:

It's the only way we can force through decent QC.

I couldn't agree more. Quality Control is the key to transition from an amateur ("garage") production to a professional one (at the level of the price tag). It would help developers to assess and mitigate the risks.

It should also provide the customers with a detailed description of the features along with a developement roadmap.

Proper Quality Control should be a requirement to get in any market place.

• Like 5

In the past, I haven’t been overly critical about the quality of various payware products. I’ve sort of had the outlook that the market is very niche and small, so the rewards cannot be that great. Therefore it’s forgivable that only a certain amount of effort and manpower has been applied.

However, with MSFS and it’s rapidly growing user base, the rewards are potentially far greater. Consequently, I think companies are going to have to truly work hard for their money. And I think there will be no shortage of competition vying for our hard earned cash. I believe the quality will come.

• Like 2

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

10 minutes ago, VBHB said:

From what I've seen the mod community already doing - 3rd party developers need to lift their game big time.  I just installed a few nice freeware scenery bits (Sydney Harbour Bridge/Sky Tower and Stonehenge) and modded the A320 and I'm using the upgraded VFR map.  I'm more excited to see what the mod community does with this sim than the Payware companies which I've been throwing money at for the last 5+ years.  

what upgraded VFR map?

Victor Roos

Too be honest, when I'm sitting in the cockpit of the TBM 930, looking over the scenery, admiring the weather (which has been mostly accurate on my flights), I can't think of much that an addon could add. My gripes are mostly with the G3X. Once the mod community Zibos it, I don't see myself forking over $80 for an alternative version. For the first time the default airports look and feel like real airports. With a few exceptions, I don't see myself forking over $30 for something that is mostly there already.

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Too be honest, when I'm sitting in the cockpit of the TBM 930, looking over the scenery, admiring the weather (which has been mostly accurate on my flights), I can't think of much that an addon could add. My gripes are mostly with the G3X. Once the mod community Zibos it, I don't see myself forking over $80 for an alternative version. For the first time the default airports look and feel like real airports. With a few exceptions, I don't see myself forking over $30 for something that is mostly there already.

I know what you mean. Personally though, I tend to fly tiny planes from small airfields. And they tend to look a little too basic as default. Consequently, I shall be in the market for a few, well crafted airfields on my home turf, and then I’m done. Not at all bothered about the Heathrow’s of this world.

Also in the market for a nice microlight and/or ultralight. 

• Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

A study level module in DCS is $80 at full price. And they model some pretty advanced A/A, A/G, radar and systems modes. I can't ever see myself paying more than that for an airliner.

• Like 3

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

That's why compatibility with multiple sim is bad 😛
I also think we are mostly seeing portings at this point,even if they had to work on some part.

It also explains why some are offering a reduced price for their products, while others in a bit will go on and on about how their addon is brand new, how many rivets you can count and why it absolutely require a pricing level that before was justified by the product being released on a "professional" sim.

• Like 3

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Remember when I said a few weeks ago that the big story of MSFS 3rd party development won't be the established developers releasing 15 or 30$ airports, but rather some kid with 3D modeling skills building bridges, castles, and stadiums?

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/579223-vienna-first-airport/?do=findComment&comment=4284168

Well, two weeks after release, when you just have a look at the SDK Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/ ) we get dozens of smaller airports, and yes, bridges, castles, and stadiums as freeware, while the big developers are still busy porting their stuff over from P3D/XP.

h4r5aq8aj2k51.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

hw0oq4szf0k51.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

fxyi1zdv5zj51.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by Der Zeitgeist
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GearUp180 said:

I couldn't agree more. Quality Control is the key to transition from an amateur ("garage") production to a professional one (at the level of the price tag). It would help developers to assess and mitigate the risks.

It should also provide the customers with a detailed description of the features along with a developement roadmap.

Proper Quality Control should be a requirement to get in any market place.

Yes, this, exactly. I don't have any problem spending money on a great addon airport or things like that. Lord knows how much I've spend on addon scenery for FSX and P3D.

However, currently, I simply have no idea what the state and functionality of certain products is. I was looking forward to buying a few of the OrbX MSFS airports, but when I'm looking at their forum, two weeks after release, there's still tons of threads about them missing basic functionality like ground services, frequencies and things like that, with no clear indication about what will really work when I buy one of their products right now.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Remember when I said a few weeks ago that the big story of MSFS 3rd party development won't be the established developers releasing 15 or 30$ airports, but rather some kid with 3D modeling skills building bridges, castles, and stadiums?

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/579223-vienna-first-airport/?do=findComment&comment=4284168

Well, two weeks after release, when you just have a look at the SDK Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/ ) we get dozens of smaller airports, and yes, bridges, castles, and stadiums as freeware, while the big developers are still busy porting their stuff over from P3D/XP.

3rd party developers are in for a culture shock which they have never faced before.  Now we need Mr X from XP to come over with all his free airports.

• Like 2

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

36 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

hw0oq4szf0k51.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

Do you know which castle ruin this is?

(Found it! Mow Cop Castle, Staffs - Hoping someone will do Corfe Castle, Dorset.

Edited by Will Fly For Cheese
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Victoroos said:

what upgraded VFR map?

I would also like to know what is this "upgraded VFR map".

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White