Sign in to follow this  
jaydor

3rd party Developer's to be held to account

4 minutes ago, SirKibble said:

I really wonder how our old friends Abacus are doing.

Apparently, after some discounts in 2019 (webarchive), their website is now blank.

There are no products listed on their Simmarket page.

Their FaceBook page is still up with old messages and customer's inquiries.

I just made a version of KGFL, using only stock objects and it wasn't too difficult to do in Developer mode. I suggest that anyone who was interested enough to click on this thread, try to do a local airport.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alvega said:

his app I already tried but using Simconnect induces lots of stutters in the sim, had to stop using it. 

Note there is a known bug with Simconnect that should be fixed soon. This bug impacts a number of apps including FSUIPC7, etc.

Al

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SirKibble said:

I really wonder how our old friends Abacus are doing.

I read somewhere a few years ago that FSPilotshop bought them out as well as AREA 51. When the FSPilotshop website stopped working so did the Abacus and Area 51 websites. PC Aviator still carries some of the Abacus titles.

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

One of the issues I see is people taking photogrammetry data from Google Earth, importing it into Blender, then exporting it into this sim.

I mean...the utility the guys are using to take Google Earth data into Blender is not even provided by Google themselves.

Won't that be a source of issue in the future? Especially if someone decides to sell the stolen (from Google) scenery?

Edited by DreamSkywards

7 minutes ago, DreamSkywards said:

Won't that be a source of issue in the future? Especially if someone decides to sell it?

Distribution is the problem. I would advise staying away from trying to sell any of it.

Subreddits are only as good as the sub's moderators. if FS2020Creation doesn't police illegal activities, they may find themselves shut down.

The FS2020 Creation folks are well aware of the potential copyright implications of the use of Google content.  One of the moderators has even put forward a post with proposed licensing information that creators can use to attribute Google and disclaim any commercial intent while invoking fair use.  That certainly doesn't replace ones own careful legal analysis, and there are always arguments over the interpretation of fair use, but I think any belief that that community is running riot with heedless copyright abuse would bu uncharitable.

Not saying anyone here was putting any such argument forward, yes, but I'm sure it would be coming at some point.

11 hours ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Well, two weeks after release, when you just have a look at the SDK Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/FS2020Creation/ ) we get dozens of smaller airports, and yes, bridges, castles, and stadiums as freeware, while the big developers are still busy porting their stuff over from P3D/XP.

Surely this can't be the case...  someone here just earlier today explained to me that reddit is a "DIY men's shed" compared to our "engineering school".   And to think I'd accused some of us here of being arrogant.  😄

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

if FS2020Creation doesn't police illegal activities, they may find themselves shut down.

you cannot stop it, then it will be offered elsewhere,
If Google has a problem with that, they have prevent the extraction of 3d objects, it is as simple as that.
But many people there create 3d models the standard way, I like the scene, the world is big.

13 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

Too be honest, when I'm sitting in the cockpit of the TBM 930, looking over the scenery, admiring the weather (which has been mostly accurate on my flights), I can't think of much that an addon could add. My gripes are mostly with the G3X. Once the mod community Zibos it, I don't see myself forking over $80 for an alternative version. For the first time the default airports look and feel like real airports. With a few exceptions, I don't see myself forking over $30 for something that is mostly there already.

100% this. Having spent quite a lot on scenery/weather/camera/airport services addons in P3D, I don't feel any need to upgrade the experience in MSFS 2020.

• Like 3

The MS2020 is a disappointment for 3rd party developers.. The thing is hard coded like any modern game.. using (Bins) and textures not even Photoshop can open.. first off I am disappointed with the SDK .. but this is the (All out Disappointment) --For one they obviously have some sort of improviser of the graphics when you see an aircraft in the (Hanger) they are all super shiny and rivets and show up everywhere and other stuff and looks like your car out in the sunshine after a wax job.. but when you load the plane (In World) they do not look that way.. they actually look no more better than FSX aircraft loaded..Dull and the glass materials look dull ..They released pic falsehood .. It looks the same as FSX for the most part.. I have high end video card..and I can set all to (Ultra)  Something is going on in the hanger (A trick) of lighting..   Then the key mapping is horrible.. (I re-mapped mine) but to my horror (for an example) you can use the rudder key and it also activates an another key - such as a diff camera view so when you use your new rudder key it also shoots your cameara view in a different (View) or something (It does not overwrite the key setting- it still stupidly uses both-- your new setting and what it had to begin with) .. I also remember FSX if you (Re- assign) a key it would (overwrite) any other key using it (Not this sim) You will find your self in total confusion as it (still) keeps the other key (active) another sign these devs (Know nothing) about FSX or FS9 flight simmers.. They were hired by money heads making a buck dollars .. and they coded this sim like they did their last hired sim GTA5 or Resident evil 3 or something and moving on to GTA 6  - who knows.. The bottom like (Expect a flop) for dedicated flight simmers.. If the google Earth guy just made an addon for FSX he would be a millionaire right now.. cause that is the only thing I see different about this sim..

I have the game since aug 18 and to my horror the thing is (Hard coded) somehow just like I thought it would be as posted earlier somewhere .. The SDK docs even say to experiment just replace an aircraft model with another one and re name it's Bin and gltf model to the one's replaced .. It does not work .. they do not show up.. much less compiling a simple box into FS2020 GLTF exporter with 3ds Max 2018 or with Blender.. Does not appear and with hours and hours of editing and tweaking the model.XML files or the Model.cfg or textures or anything else such as all the other (Flight model.cfg) .. nothing shows in the hanger or on a loaded runway.. In FSX this was (Simple) just create a box model and rename it to a certain cessna.mdl (ect) and it is there --a box on the runway and can fly it around and everything.. Nothing you do in this hard code (hole) works.. I just knew this was what was going to happen.. This is not about backwards compatibility this is about an SDK lying to FS'ers .. I knew this when I saw the Dev's release video conference .. they all looked drugged up and spoke in languages foreign to Earth.. That was when I knew for sure this thing is hard coded.. these people just make up model codes only they know so they can mess with users down the road for profit .. just like all of the latest game releases.. Hope I am wrong but (I knew) when the Microsoft questions for to be in on the (Insider) program for MS2020 had (No questions) about you having 3rd party dev experience as a qualification -- I knew this game was a hoax (Right there) -- all it got was people who knew nothing except flying around and looking at eye candy scenery--and they hooped and hollered about how great the google Earth scenery is-- This so called sim is (Hard coded) and they lied about it and there were no (Real) 3rd party dev's in the insider program to warn us.. I hope I am wrong.. If anyone can (Proove it?) Show your 3rd party aircraft (Even if it is just an untextured box) in the new FS2020 world.. And do not tell me that (It does not show up because it has no textures) on it.. I have already tested that with default FS2020 aircraft.. PeacE!

50 minutes ago, dukeav said:

100% this. Having spent quite a lot on scenery/weather/camera/airport services addons in P3D, I don't feel any need to upgrade the experience in MSFS 2020.

same here spend enough the last decade but things changed, i am also more then happy with the new out of the box airports/weather/sound (and more FPS compared to some payware), i dont need spending $ for the next 37000 airports 😂 and terrabytes of hard disk space, talk about streaming!

but I'm sure people will still be interested in some local airports if they doesn't look good enough in standard MSFS.

I rather see a new market in Landmarks (things Ai cant rebuild right now, ie. towers, bridges,) but first lets see what ms/asobo creates the next years and especially the freeware stuff.

Edited by Nedo68
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Skoaler said:

For one they obviously have some sort of improviser of the graphics when you see an aircraft in the (Hanger) they are all super shiny and rivets and show up everywhere and other stuff and looks like your car out in the sunshine after a wax job.. but when you load the plane (In World) they do not look that way.. they actually look no more better than FSX aircraft loaded.

I agree there is some "bait and switch" in the sexy hangar views, but this is just basic marketing glitz and I can forgive that.

Anyone who has been around flight sims for as long as most Avsim members understand that what you see on the box may not be the same thing your own computer can render. There are far more things to complain about in this release if you really want to focus on things like flight and systems modeling accuracy, which matters a heck of a lot more for many of us.

14 minutes ago, Skoaler said:

Then the key mapping is horrible.. (I re-mapped mine) but to my horror (for an example) you can use the rudder key and it also activates an another key - such as a diff camera view so when you use your new rudder key it also shoots your cameara view in a different (View) or something (It does not overwrite the key setting- it still stupidly uses both-- your new setting and what it had to begin with) ..

I agree that the UI for control settings is a mess in terms of usability, but it's really not that bad if you just delete assignments that you don't want and re-assign everything for your preferences.

I will never love the UI because I've seen better, but I can work with it. You just need to throw away expectations and do things the way Asobo wants you to. Gritting your teeth if necessary. 🙂

• Like 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor