Sign in to follow this  
Flight_Bandit_

787 Nosewheel steering

Hi everyone, 

Firstly, apologies if this has been discussed before! 

Not sure if I am doing something wrong but I seem to have very low steering with the nose wheel? 

Is this a known issue or have I been doing something wrong? 

Thanks! 

Are you using your Rudder pedals? Because the big airliners are usually steered with a Tiller. A little wheel on the side of the cabin. Check if you can bind an axis to it. 

• Like 1

How fast are you going when you turn? You can't get it to turn much if you are doing 20 knots.

Edited by highflyer2020
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tiller bind axis? I dont think that exists in the settings.  I wish it did, but I could not find anything like that.

• Like 1

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

No tiller axis exists at the moment in the sim, but it has been asked for and Asobo is aware.  I opened a Zendesk ticket with Asobo to get this addressed and the issue has now been closed.  Crossing my fingers that it is added in the upcoming patch next week.  It is almost impossible to taxi the heavies without the tiller at the moment.  In fact, even the smaller aircraft are challenging at the moment.  Maybe I need to do something with my pedals sensitivities and null zones.

Dennis

• Like 1

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Flight Bandit - "I seem to have very low steering with the nose wheel? "

Hi,

You might try differential braking - (*) = left brake, (-) = right brake on the number pad. This has helped get around on the taxiways.

• Like 2

Jim Morgan

I noticed the same thing, just using the rudder for nose wheel steering is limited on the 787. Using differential braking works a charm. 

• Like 1

My son had this issue in his sim but I did not. We came up with a solution that might have solved this. Check your weight and balance. Seems that this can be set very far backwards leaving the aircraft nose wheel steering almost ineffective. When we moved weight forward, things were much better. If you are not adding fuel and weights into the 787, just flying in the condition it loads, seems WB can be too far aft.

Differential braking acts on the main gear, hence it will work, even if the nose is too light. You do not need to assign a dedicated axis to the nose wheel steering (tiller) for the plane to turn.

Edited by RaptyrOne
  • Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

6 hours ago, VIPERGTSR01 said:

I noticed the same thing, just using the rudder for nose wheel steering is limited on the 787. Using differential braking works a charm. 

Tried it and works very well! 

Now I must learn how to fly it! 😂

4 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

My son had this issue in his sim but I did not. We came up with a solution that might have solved this. Check your weight and balance. Seems that this can be set very far backwards leaving the aircraft nose wheel steering almost ineffective. When we moved weight forward, things were much better. If you are not adding fuel and weights into the 787, just flying in the condition it loads, seems WB can be too far aft.

Differential braking acts on the main gear, hence it will work, even if the nose is too light. You do not need to assign a dedicated axis to the nose wheel steering (tiller) for the plane to turn.

Thank you! 

Wright distribution is good to know. 

Next I need to learn how to fly the 787😂

On 8/30/2020 at 9:20 PM, DMullert said:

I opened a Zendesk ticket with Asobo to get this addressed and the issue has now been closed.

Thanks for opening the ticket. I think for obvious reasons we need a true axis mapped to the tiller function. Everything else can only be a placeholder.

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

The flight_model.cfg has a setting that allows you to change to nose wheel steering degree. Problem is - the 787 flight_model.cfg is hidden somewhere (probably it's part of the deluxe or whatever package). If someone can figure out where that file is, I can tell you what the nose wheel steering is set to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RaptyrOne said:

Interesting thanks for pointing it out. I will check this out later.

I will see how this changes the flight dynamics as I found it a bit odd also.