Sign in to follow this  
nbhall68

No More Compromises

I agree I'm enjoying the sim

I couldn't agree more with the OP. After 10 years out of the hobby, I fell in love with flightsimming again.

Thanks to Asobo, MS and all the developers (commercial or not) who have and will continue to take this sim to unrivaled levels.

Edited by Turpentine
typo
  • Like 3

Just now, Turpentine said:

I couldn't agree more with the OP. After 10 years out of the hobby, I fell in love with flightsimming again.

Thanks to Asobo, MS and all the developers (commercial or not) who have and will continue to take this sim to unrivaled levels.

This is a good sign people coming back

I think week 3 of release might be a bit early for speculating about the long-term future of the project. Let's leave that until at least week 4...

We have enough very public statements from MS and Asobo and they've made such fanfare about the game on GamePass and coming to Xbox to give them the benefit of the doubt at least for the short to mid term. Also given the community's amazing proactivity with developing scenery, starting Zibo-style projects, finding fixes for problems like tree-size, tubeliners' cockpit fps etc. (all without a complete SDK, already, just by week 3!!!), I don't think it would be fatal for the platform even if they did stop development in a few months. 

I spent about 9 hrs in the sim yesterday and had without doubt the best time I've ever had in a sim or a game. VFR around Wales / N. England, hop over the Pyrenees, Redding to Weed, sightseeing in Mauritania to see the Richtat structure, bush flying in the Greek mountains (SPARTA!!!!), dusk flight around Chiang Mai with the sun setting through the haze and rain in sporadic sheets exactly as it does in real life. Just amazing. The only flight that frustrated me a bit was an IFR from Leon to Frankfurt in the TBM where the stutters got horrendous on approach. But the real weather in Frankfurt was so incredibly real (high thin overcast with scattered clouds underneath) that I got in the CAP10 and had a blast doing acrobatics.

A rough diamond, and undoubtedly the most exciting thing to happen in this niche for a very long time.

Edited by scotchegg
  • Like 7

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

52 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

I think week 3 of release might be a bit early for speculating about the long-term future of the project. Let's leave that until at least week 4...

I’ve noticed AI traffic drops my FPS down a bit causing minor stutters at big airports whereas heavy clouds not some much anymore. (Great)

However AI Labels are definitely a problem that is being addressed I believe by MS, but until we get some 3rd party FPS friendly AI traffic, I’ve turned off AI traffic for now when visiting large airports. I remember FSX was the same when using the generic AI models as traffic back in the early days of FSX.

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

I am still in a wow moment almost 2 weeks in...

MSFS has me "stuck" at 2,000 / 3,000 feet for almost 2 weeks now sightseeing, seriously I have yet to really hit the clouds...

MSFS has me "stuck" in the Virus / Icon A5 just flying low and slow taking it all in.. and I purposefully bought he premium edition to get the SR22, but haven't even loaded it yet.

At some point, I will get to some more "serious" flight simming...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FlyBaby said:

MSFS has me "stuck" at 2,000 / 3,000 feet for almost 2 weeks now sightseeing,

I've stalled twice on approach because I was too busy looking out the window.  LOL.

A few other thoughts after my last flight...I love that the clouds don't follow me around anymore.  I see them on the horizon, I approach them, and then they come and go without any draw-in or popping.  Also, first sim in history that I can't see any repetition in the terrain textures out of the box.  😉  Because there isn't any!

Regarding Microsoft's commitment...I'm not really worried about it.  They will make hundreds of millions of dollars off of this release alone and that's a conservative estimate.  They also benefit from some synergy with Bing and Azure cloud which are both Microsoft assets.  It's good cross advertising.  You can always count on a company to do what's in their best interests.  Asobo and other partners like Blackshark.ai have invested many years of their lives into this project and they're not going to just walk away.  I'm sure they're quite proud of what they've created...and they should be.

Edited by nbhall68
grammer
  • Like 1

I left flight simming almost immediately after FSX was released. It was supposed to be revolutionary but instead looked like [word not allowed] and performance was the same.

Now I'm back and not leaving. In the last week I've had my best flight sim experiences ever, and it's only going to get better. Thanks Asobo. Begrudging thanks to MS as well though I'm pretty convinced the poor release is all down to them.

42 minutes ago, Bottle said:

I left flight simming almost immediately after FSX was released. It was supposed to be revolutionary but instead looked like [word not allowed] and performance was the same.

Now I'm back and not leaving. In the last week I've had my best flight sim experiences ever, and it's only going to get better. Thanks Asobo. Begrudging thanks to MS as well though I'm pretty convinced the poor release is all down to them.

I picked up FSX in a sale but barely touched it. The scenery was just so bad and the cost of making it good just for limited areas was prohibitive, Then I heard about this.

The hype has been more than justified for me.

• Like 1