Sign in to follow this  
wlbear

MSFS 2020 missing airports?

Airports missing in new flight simulator? LEMG ( Malaga ) for example is.    Microsoft announced that all airports of the world are included 🤷🏼‍♂️  

Stuttgart EDDS is missing too, not Asobo or MS fault, looks like Stuttgart attorneys just dont want it.

Edited by Nedo68

20 hours ago, Nedo68 said:

Stuttgart EDDS is missing too, not Asobo or MS fault, looks like Stuttgart attorneys just dont want it.

Where did you get this information? And is it true? Seems strange cause it’s in P3D and XP11..

34 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Where did you get this information? And is it true? Seems strange cause it’s in P3D and XP11..

The airports in P3D and X-Plane are probably made from different sources.  MSFS scenery data is very dependent, maybe too dependent, on Bing Maps. I seen an image yesterday where the Valdez, Alaska airport is missing. If you go to Bing maps you can see there are three different images that make up the airport with various degrees of quality from being fully pixelate to being very clear.  This also was displayed in the image from MSFS.  One end of the airport was pixelated, the center part was brighter and the other end of the airport was darker.  You could even see the lines between sections in the MSFS image. Some will say well it's just a small percentage of airports but when it's a major airport like EDDS in Stuttgart, Germany or LEZG in Zaragoza, Spain or one of many others missing other airports, they are someone's home airport.  Some people will also say well someone will create a add-on to replace it.  Now I have to go look for an add-on airport for a sim that advertises 37,000 airports.  Hopefully MS and Asobo address this issue.

John Cottreau

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

5 minutes ago, johncott said:

Now I have to go look for an add-on airport for a sim that advertises 37,000 airports.

They never told you which 37,000 airports to be fair.

It's not just airports. The sim is also missing a large number of gravel and grass strips in rural and wilderness areas that don't include towers and ATC, but are shown in the other civilian sims. At least they are in XP11, I assume they're in P3D as well. A few may have some buildings made by people through the Gateway, but many are just green grass strips with an exclusion zone to knock back the local vegetation with no buildings, and that's good enough. 

I was just flying around in Costa Rica the other day in the sim, and noticed how many of these little airstrips were missing that I was used to seeing in XP11. Some areas like Papua New Guinea seem to have received more attention, but there are big gaps in Central and South America, and Africa.

That's going to be a problem for those of us flying FSEconomy, where some of the assignments are into small airstrips like these. It's not a big project to just add a grass strip with an exclusion zone around it, but someone has to do the work, and then it has to get distributed somehow.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

11 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

They never told you which 37,000 airports to be fair.

You're right, but I would expect the abandon grass strip out in the backcountry that was abandon 25 years ago but is still used by a flying club to be missing, not major international airports. The next question, if the Bing image is updated and an existing airport is clouded over the in the new image, will the airport disappear in MSFS?

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

Malaga airport is also missing. Outstanding failure. Biggest airport in the Costa Del Sol and one of Spains biggest!

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

On the upside, I landed at Myers Park Memorial Municipal Airport near Carthage, Missouri the other day. I was a little perturbed to see that the runway was half tarmac and half grass and was intersected midway by a civilian road. Turns out this airport has been closed since 1997. So, yeah, there are some airports/airstrips currently omitted from the game, but they have also included ones long abandoned. 😉

Even gateways such as NZAA are missing.  Apparently it ignored the existing databases for hand identified airports from the bing map which then had all taxiways renumbered so they do not correspond with reality.

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

Istanbul Airport (LTFM)... touted to become the biggest aiport in the world one day.. been operational for 18 months now but it's totally non-existent in the sim. The now decomissioned Ataturk is there though as the main airport still.

CYQD    The Pas, Manitoba. 

6000+' paved runway. Forest fire suppression Air tanker base.