Sign in to follow this  
George Lagos

Can I turn off the wind turbulence?

53 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Back to turbulence, it was so weak before in other sims compared to the real world.

Turbulence as provided by Active Sky was quite good in P3D, especially in A2A aircraft.  When I'd hit turbulence I'd check the AS map and read whether it was light, moderate, heavy or severe, and it felt like the turbulence I experienced in real aircraft.  Flying in or near clouds in a thunderstorm was dangerous.

I haven't hit enough turbulence in MSFS to make any kind of comparison.  Maybe when Meteoblue and Asobo fix the US weather.  Right now I only get it from hills or similar obstructions to the airflow.

The constant slight movement of the aircraft, even in smooth weather, does not bother me.  We had something similar in AS/P3D but it was very subtle.  It would be nice to tone it down a bit.  

I'd buy Active Sky for MSFS in a heartbeat but currently Hifi is locked out due to limits in what can be done with the SDK .  Maybe some day.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I think we'd all agree that the implementation of the turbulence is rather subjective but a necessary feature of this, or any modern flight sim, whether built-in or through add-ons. The 3rd-party developers have done a great job creating products that give us the flexibility to "dial in" our preferences. I wonder how much time MS/Asobo will spend tuning the effect in the sim to the point that we_can_all_agree that it "feels" right or just leave it to the 3rd parties.

The very least they can do for us now is provide a way to turn it off completely when we choose to, for whatever reason any of us may have. Being able to turn it off doesn't mean that I want to go back and experience the "flying on rails" phenomenon again. It just means there are times when it doesn't suit what it is I'm trying to accomplish with the sim. When I'm just flying around enjoying the scenery in my favorite VFR aircraft, I love a reasonable amount of motion for the weather conditions I set. I would just prefer proper controls so that I can tweak the motion to suit my tastes based on the real-world flying I've done.

And as the sim becomes more mature and the add-on aircraft allow us to use it for more real-world home-study, I'll want to be able to turn off all turbulence when studying and manipulating overhead panels, center panels, flight mode control panels, programming FMCs, etc... You get the idea.

AMD 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 42" LG C3 OLED 4K TV/Monitor

5 hours ago, Dillon said:

I don’t know how many small planes many of you have flown but what MS did here is realistic especially coming from what was present before in Flight Simulator.  The turbulence effect is realistic plain and simple especially when your flying over mountains.  It might be annoying in the sim but it’s even more pronounced when your in the real aircraft with your stomach coming up through your throat at times.  I was just flying the other day and marveled at how Asobo got this right.  I don’t want to disparage anyone but we have to be careful in dumbing down the sim to accommodate people who’ve never actually flown a real aircraft as pilot in command.....

Guys I’m sorry to say they got the turbulence right as best as it can be done in a Flight Simulator at this time.  Even on a smooth day you’ll have little bumps.  Small planes are not like airliners.  We have finally gotten away from flying on rails and some want to go back just like the case to return to 2D Panels.  As said before maybe an option can be put in to turn it off for those that want more of a video game feel.  Asobo as a private pilot you did a good job.  I had to comment on this as this will be an XBox title and with enough nudging we’ll have more of a console game instead of a simulator...

Nobody is talking about turning turbulence off, just turning of the constant non-stop jumping around no matter what the terrain or weather conditions. You don't have to be a pilot to know that isn't right. Being on rails is one thing, but non-stop turbulence without a second of smooth flight is just as ridiculous at the other end of the spectrum. This isn't occasional bumps.

Edited by desbean
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, desbean said:

Nobody is talking about turning turbulence off, just turning of the constant non-stop jumping around no matter what the terrain or weather conditions. You don't have to be a pilot to know that isn't right. Being on rails is one thing, but non-stop turbulence without a second of smooth flight is just as ridiculous at the other end of the spectrum. This isn't occasional bumps.

Agree.  I tried several aircraft and they jump around like  you smacked them on the forehead.  I flew the Caravan out of KSEZ and on different days and weather , and even on Clear Days the poor airplane almost slipped over. Nahhhh, that's not realistic, I'm sorry.  Someone tell Young at Asobo to dial it down a bit.  My passengers (especially the elderly) are complaining  that they don't need another rocking chair on their flight.  They're  having enough rocking at home. 😝

Edited by joemiller
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, UAL4life said:

Have folks tried turning on the legacy flight model? That might help your concern. 

As I said in previous posts, this effect is not flight model related. It is a GLOBAL EFFECT that is hard coded and affects every single aircraft, but will be more obvious on the smaller ones. You can tune either the modern or legacy flight models to tone down the effect, but that is smoke and mirrors, because the effect is still there. You can only adjust the aircraft so it hides the effect to some degree.

It is most definitely created outside of any flight model.

Edited by robert young
  • Like 3

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

6 hours ago, Dillon said:

Back to turbulence, it was so weak before in other sims compared to the real world.  

Really? You can set up extreme turbulence in FSX. Have you not tried it?

• Like 1

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I must be flying a different sim because when I set weather to clear skies, I get ZERO turbulence unless I'm down low (<1,500 ft at least) over urban or mountainous terrain. Hand flying or AP and I have tried it in multiple GA aircraft, including the jets.

And when I do set weather to other presets, the turbulence is not severe and seems realistic enough to me (could improve a little). Exception being in the Storm preset. I have no problem flying with the turbulence. It does make it a little tricky to click buttons in the cockpit but that's about it. 

• Like 3

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

1 hour ago, joemiller said:

even on Clear Days the poor airplane almost slipped over.

That has never happened to me with any aircraft so far.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

13 minutes ago, Slides said:

I must be flying a different sim because when I set weather to clear skies, I get ZERO turbulence unless I'm down low (<1,500 ft at least) over urban or mountainous terrain. Hand flying or AP and I have tried it in multiple GA aircraft, including the jets.

More or less the same experience here.

• Upvote 2

ASUS Prime Z490-A / i7-10700K / RTX 4080 / G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB / Lian-Li PC-O11 Dynamic case 

yeah, the turbulence isnt a big deal but it'd be great if they could make it easier to control buttons and knobs.  let us get rid of the text for one thing.  slowing down zoom helps. and the preset and/or custom cameras let you get right in and close.

theres a setting for camera shake in the options - has anyone tried turning that off?

here's a thought: they could make the mouse pointer 'sticky' so that when you get near a control spot the pointer jumps to it and if you start turning the mousewheel, it will stick to that spot until you stop turning.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

What’s everyone’s hardware? I’m using a CH yoke that is older and “spikes”. It’s manageable in prepar3d but maybe it’s doing crazy things in MSFS. I can’t get a smooth flight no matter what 

7 hours ago, Slides said:

And when I do set weather to other presets, the turbulence is not severe and seems realistic enough to me (could improve a little). Exception being in the Storm preset. I have no problem flying with the turbulence. It does make it a little tricky to click buttons in the cockpit but that's about it. 

Agreed, I must be flying a different sim because what’s being reported here I’m not seeing on my end.

Edited by Dillon
  • Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

9 hours ago, Dillon said:

Agreed, I must be flying a different sim because what’s being reported here I’m not seeing on my end.

Try the C152 or any of the smaller aircraft. It is not so much the turbulence. It is their very low inertia response to it. Look in exterior view. Have you ever seen a camera view of any aircraft moving like that? I haven't.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, robert young said:

Try the C152 or any of the smaller aircraft. It is not so much the turbulence. It is their very low inertia response to it. Look in exterior view. Have you ever seen a camera view of any aircraft moving like that? I haven't.

I fly them all the time.  No problems on this end, similar to real world flight as I've said before...

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2