Sign in to follow this  
Guest kabe

Help turning knobs? (G1000)

Guest kabe

I can't seem to figure out how to activate the "Change Pages within Page Groups" knobs on the G1000. For example if I hit the "NRST" button and then want to select an airport down the list, I can move the mouse curson on top of the FMS button and get a '+' cursor, but rotating the mouse wheel or clicking does nothing.Any advice out there? My system is conroe with a 7900gtx and I'm using a microsoft mouse and a Saitek joystick. I've tried resetting keymaps to default but no luck.Thanks-A

You are aware of the fact that the FMS knob has FIVE clickpoints? Two at the top of the knob (a - left and a + right to turn the large knob (outer knob)) and two at the bottom of the knob (again a - left and a + right to turn the small knob (inner knob)). The fifth clickspot (an empty hand) is at the bottom, which enables or disables the cursor. Besides that, "Change Pages within Page Groups" is something completely different than selecting an airport down the list!You've got three mainpages: Map, Waypoint and Nearest. You can acces those pages by clicking the large knob, so the - and + at the top of the FMS knob. When you want to access a page within a main group (for instance the NDB subpage of the Nearest page) you have to click on the small knob, so the - and + at the bottom of the FMS knob.When you want to select something with a cursor or scroll down a list that's longer than you can see, you first click on the fifth clickspot to enable the cursor and then you move the cursor up and down by clicking on the large knob (the upper clickspots). Actually selecting your choice is done by clicking on the ENT button. If you want to enter a name or something (if you want specific info about an airfield and you know the code of it) you enable the 'small typing cursor' by clicking on the small knob. You can also move the small typing cursor (in fact selecting other letters or numbers on the same line) with the same small knob. (BTW As soon as the small typing cursor is enabled you can type whatever you want on the keyboard: on the real G1000 you have to scroll to every single letter or number...! You can do this in FS X if you want to, or course, but you don't have to.)Hope this helps. And if it doesn't help you it might help others. ;) And if you need more info just ask: I'm deeply in love with the G1000 so I don't mind answering questions about it!

Excellent summary!I would also point out that all of this information is on the OP's hard drive, in the Help/Learning Center/G1000 section... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It sure is. But sometimes a summary, or reading things in different words (or order), can make things a bit (or a lot) more clearer for some people. ;) Helping people out with usefull summaries can be very satisfying, you know. More satisfying than just posting RTFM or something like that. ;) Imho.

Guest kabe

Somehow after trolling these forums for a few weeks I imagined that Bill would remind me about the learning center ;-)I followed the directions in the learning center and still wasn't able to move the cursor in the nrst sub-window or change pages. I think the problem might be that I was using my scroll wheel (which the online help indicates is possible) when I should click instead. I've used the gps in Dreamfleet/Flight1's Baron quite a bit and the scroll wheel works great there. (I really miss that aircraft in fsx.)It's helpful to know that there are five click points on the FMS knobs and that there are points rather then just mousing over the inner and outer knobs. I've found that some of the click points are hard to find on the default planes, possibly because I'm running the sim off a projector. The image is about 10' across and more immersive, but it isn't as crisp as a 19" monitor.I'll give it a try tonight, thanks.

I have to say I also still have some trouble finding the spots on my 19" CRT. I always fly in VC and specially the FMS on the MFD, which I view zoomed in and panned to the right, so from quit a corner (or however you call that, I'm not English...), seems to have it's clickpots somehow besides the knob. Has to do with the perspective, I guess. I still have to move my mouse around a few times before I see the points appear and every now and then I am not quit sure if I have the upper or lower spots under my mousepointer. ;) Operating the G1000 with the popupwindows (Shift 3 and 4) is a lot easier but less realistic imho. ;)BTW I've used the GPS in the Dreamfleet Beech A36 (the predesessor of the DF Baron 58) ever since it was released (didn't fly anything else) and I also miss that one. I didn't scroll there, but you could rightclick (for + and leftclick for - ) which was very nice too. Still, I really like the G1000 and I wonder what I'd do if the A36 was made FS X compatible... ;)P.S. 10' across and more immersive... Wow, that must be cool!!!

Guest kabe

Ok, I just tested out the G1000 on a flight from Palo Alto to Lake Tahoe and clicking instead of using the mouse wheel worked just fine.Thanks for your help-A

>Ok, I just tested out the G1000 on a flight from Palo Alto to>Lake Tahoe and clicking instead of using the mouse wheel>worked just fine.You know, the truly odd thing is that the code for the mouse wheel is present, but doesn't always work as designed... at least, in XML.Every C gauge I write the mouse wheel works perfectly... I think it's just another sign of the inherent weakness on XML code. ;)

Fr. Bill    

>Somehow after trolling these forums for a few weeks I>imagined that Bill would remind me about the learning center>;-)You would be astonished at the number of people who've used the sim for years and are unaware of what actually IS in the Learing Center! *:-*

Fr. Bill    

>>Somehow after trolling these forums for a few weeks I>>imagined that Bill would remind me about the learning center>>;-)>>You would be astonished at the number of people who've used>the sim for years and are unaware of what actually IS in the>Learing Center! *:-* Boy! I really need to get my eyes fixed. Could have sworn that line said "The Leaming Center!" :-wink2Couldn't resist - Sorry, Bill.VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest allcott

While I would normally also recommend simmers to read the appropriate documentation, the Learning Centre is not up to snuff and badly in need of being re-written by someone who understands who the product is written for. It serves neither the Beginner nor the Experienced user and comlpetely fails to mention several important features in FSX, while at the same time referring to others which are not in the RTM copy I have on my hard drive. So either I missed something, or they did.I showed the manual to a Technical Authore who writes these things for a living and once he stopped laughing he confirmed my opinion that this one is really, really terrible. So I can understand where the confusion is coming from. Looks like somebody spent fifteeen minutes on the train updating the FS9 with the new features of FSX as told to him/her on the phone, by someone reciting from memory. That is one thing that really needs looking at for the first patchj.Allcott