Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Do 4K users need NVIDIA 3080 ???

18 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I'm going for the 3090 mainly because of the 24GB of VRAM and since I fly at 4K Ultra, it will surely help me get there.

Yes for 4k I agree you need 3090 to keep you happy for a few years.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

16 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Yes for 4k I agree you need 3090 to keep you happy for a few years.

I'm hoping it will keep me happy much longer than that. Especially when I'll be spending $1600+ for a GPU. lol.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I’m on a 2080ti currently with 3840x1600 and 32Gb RaM with i9900KS 5GhZ water cooled. 
I can get super smooth on ultra as long as I reduce the LOD to 100. As soon as I move the slider to 200, I get stutters. 

PS I assume this is because I become cpu limited, as mainthread flashes Up for a split second when the stutter happens....... so, even if I dump a 3090 in, I assume I’ll still have the same problem right?

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, pjs37 said:

Run a game at 1080p on medium and you will likely be CPU bound.

Why is that? Is it because the gpu has to much energy and cannot forward it because of 1080p doesn't know how to handle it?

14 minutes ago, GodAtum said:

I reckon the 3090 could run at 8K 30 fps.

🙃

dpgMPw.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 9/7/2020 at 5:47 PM, Bottle said:

This may be a useful video to watch. Especially when he talks about the availability of cards. Some of you may be very disappointed or at least frustrated by the wait.

He is wearing an AMD T-shirt! 😂

Hardware: i9 9900k@ 5Ghz  |  RTX 2080 TI  |  AORUS MASTER  |  58" Panasonic TV

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

59 minutes ago, 737_800 said:

Why is that? Is it because the gpu has to much energy and cannot forward it because of 1080p doesn't know how to handle it?

Something is always a bottleneck.

As you lower resolution the GPU has less work to do (shading, anti-aliasing, super sampling, ray tracing, lighting) so the frames go up and up until the rest of the system cannot support the higher framerate. This is often the CPU but can also be RAM, motherboard bus or even disk IO performance.

A nice feature the 30 series has is RTX IO https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

This promises to be able to load data from an NVMe drive directly into the video cards VRAM bypassing the CPU and RAM. It is possible this could be quite beneficial for flight simulators. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Software: P3Dv4.4  |  AS  |   Orbx LC/TE Southern England  |  Tomatoshade  |  737 NGX | AS A319 | PMDG 747 | TFDI 717 | MJC8 Q400

5 minutes ago, DellyPilot said:

Something is always a bottleneck.

As you lower resolution the GPU has less work to do (shading, anti-aliasing, super sampling, ray tracing, lighting) so the frames go up and up until the rest of the system cannot support the higher framerate. This is often the CPU but can also be RAM, motherboard bus or even disk IO performance.....

Quite true on my system. When I get stutters it's always my CPU maxing out, not the GPU.

Exactly everything has a bottleneck that prevents it from running even faster when it comes to gaming.  In practice there is a practical limit to framerates and what we can do but this even gets pushed further (See 360hz panels now) but something will slow it down.  Just a fact even if you run an old game on a new PC there is something causing it to hit some practical limit.

4 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I’m on a 2080ti currently with 3840x1600 and 32Gb RaM with i9900KS 5GhZ water cooled. 
I can get super smooth on ultra as long as I reduce the LOD to 100. As soon as I move the slider to 200, I get stutters. 

PS I assume this is because I become cpu limited, as mainthread flashes Up for a split second when the stutter happens....... so, even if I dump a 3090 in, I assume I’ll still have the same problem right?

I think the answer is both yes and no.

I have the same setup as you and I have see areas where I am CPU bound (dense cities, loading new areas) and other areas where I am GPU bound (lots of reflections and cloud lighting).

So you will certainly have some areas where you get an increased framerate where its smooth but many of the big stutters may well remain sadly!

• Like 1

A 4k OLED looks better than 8k non-OLED. 

Cheers

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

23 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

A 4k OLED looks better than 8k non-OLED. 

Cheers

bs

Sorry, but this video is totally non-sense. OLED has the following two major advantages:

- Nearly perfect black level

- Very fast response times

The comparisons in this video, especially the image and color quality have nothing to do with the technology. I have seen recently a video where a Sony IMX219 lens was edited and created nearly the same colors as a 4000$ Sony camera. 

4K, 8K will just be what 16K and 32K will also be, just for profit and milking your money. 

Make sure to watch the end of the video or you won't get the point of the video,  The other plus of OLED is power consumption because unlit (black) pixels are turned off.  Also less heat.   As you would expect black level / contrast is fantastic like my old 21" NEC CRT. 

I owned an OLED and will buy another. 

Cheers

bs

Edited by bean_sprout

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

Oh OLED is very impressive technology so is HDR IMO I feel like greater color color and contrast is going to be a bigger boon to display technology then higher resolution displays at least for the immediate future.