Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Do 4K users need NVIDIA 3080 ???

On 9/15/2020 at 3:58 AM, Richdem said:

Wait are you telling me you can just take the regular fan housing off and use 2 noctua fans zip tied to the card? I have a Noctua CPU cooler and the thing is awesome. My Zotac 1080TI is already on its 2nd fan. They seem to be garbage 

I would be really interested to learn more about how to do this. 

In short: yes and I only found benefits. I also don't care about the look, my pc is inside a custom wood case.
The most difficult part is removing the stock fans housing, some of the screws are difficult to reach if you plan on keeping the thing intact for reselling.
You can also remove the heatsink from the board and apply a better thermal paste, but I wanted to avoid that part.
Look a couple of videos and tutorials, if you know what you are doing I'd say go for it.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

On 9/12/2020 at 9:29 PM, pstrub said:

This was posted here, just in case anyone is looking for mor details: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-synthetic-and-gaming-performance-leaked 

20% more on the more GPU heavy game, no point in benchmarking far cry, it could run at 1440 on a dishwasher.
I'm still not convinced, my 1070 is only suffering on MFS and not even that bad, not all the time.
Most of the time she's pulling 40+fps at 1440 with high to ultra settings, a 3070 or 3080 would be a good upgrade from a 1070, on paper, but hard to justify ATM.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

9 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

In short: yes and I only found benefits. I also don't care about the look, my pc is inside a custom wood case.
The most difficult part is removing the stock fans housing, some of the screws are difficult to reach if you plan on keeping the thing intact for reselling.
You can also remove the heatsink from the board and apply a better thermal paste, but I wanted to avoid that part.
Look a couple of videos and tutorials, if you know what you are doing I'd say go for it.

I already exchanged the heat sink and reapplied the thermal paste, zotac sent me a complete new assembly  with fans & housing in May because a fan failed. One of the new fans has already started rattling. Yesterday i took the fan housing off my spare heatsink and zip tied an old 120 mm case fan I had just to test it. It was super easy and the heatsink on my card is exactly 240 mm so I ordered 2 Notua NF12's which are coming today. My case is a decent cooler master but not flashy and under my desk so I am not worried either what it looks like. I already have a Noctua CPU cooler & case fan.

If only Noctua made GPU coolers, my i5 9600K @ 5Ghz barely gets to 70 degrees with the DH15 !

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

11 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

20% more on the more GPU heavy game, no point in benchmarking far cry, it could run at 1440 on a dishwasher.
I'm still not convinced, my 1070 is only suffering on MFS and not even that bad, not all the time.
Most of the time she's pulling 40+fps at 1440 with high to ultra settings, a 3070 or 3080 would be a good upgrade from a 1070, on paper, but hard to justify ATM.

I’d agree!

Not using 4K or VR I don’t think you’ll see much improvement in fps by upgrading.  Maybe if MSFS goes to DX12 more vram would be highly beneficial as seen in in P3Dv5 currently with complex ac and highly detailed airports and heavy AI traffic.

Chris Camp

I’m the same, I’ve got a 1070 but the initial benchmarks are not blowing me away. I think I’ll wait til we see some TI models come out that will boost the vram.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

4f5nuc.png

Couldn’t care less here. Had the 2080ti for 10 months, served me well. Will sell it for £300-400 ish, if it doesn’t sell, I’ll just donate it...... it’s the joys of the game we’re in....... like purchasing cars...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Couldn’t care less here. Had the 2080ti for 10 months, served me well. Will sell it for £300-400 ish, if it doesn’t sell, I’ll just donate it...... it’s the joys of the game we’re in....... like purchasing cars...

couldnt said it better people forget that the power of the rtx 2080ti already existed two years ago.

Just wait, after getting my 3090 people will talk the same in two years 😂

• Like 2

Don`t ditch your 2080ti just yet not as big a performance gain as some thought in MSFS.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

6 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Don`t ditch your 2080ti just yet not as big a performance gain as some thought in MSFS.

Yet....... I'm gonna expect when Asobo gets its hands on the cards (if they dont already have them) there will be optimizations forthcoming both from themselves and NVIDIA.

Already the Nvidia Geforce auto-optimized settings for the game (if you use Geforce experience) are pretty good......

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Just now, HiFlyer said:

Yet....... I'm gonna expect when Asobo gets its hands on the cards (if they dont already have them) there will be optimizations forthcoming both from themselves and NVIDIA.

Already the Nvidia Geforce auto-optimized settings for the game (if you use Geforce experience) are pretty good......

They may do when they finish optimization for the Series X, which i suspect Phil Spencer will want now the big release title has been pushed back to next year, he will want to launch in November with as many AAA titles he can get.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

On 9/9/2020 at 11:32 AM, SteveW said:

Looking at overall average CPU throughput across all cores is not a good way to assess CPU vs GPU. If we have one core at 100% and the remaining 9 cores near zero we wont see 100%. If one core is at 100% then the demand may be higher and that is throttling the task.

Use task manager CPU graphs to quickly see if any cores are at 100%. If there are any at 100% then the sim is CPU bound irrespective of the readout from the developer mode fps monitor.

Hi Steve!

You know a lot of Affinitymask. Does it work for getting better frame rates on MSFS 2020? If it does, which is the value for intel i7-9750H (6 core / 12 theads)? 

Thanks a lot and I appreciate if you can suggest how to improve performance. I was wondering exchange my SMART 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz CL 19 for 2x16 GB HYPERX IMPACT 2666Mhz CL 15 but I am unsure if it will worth.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, riclato said:

Hi Steve!

You know a lot of Affinitymask. Does it work for getting better frame rates on MSFS 2020? If it does, which is the value for intel i7-9750H (6 core / 12 theads)? 

Thanks a lot and I appreciate if you can suggest how to improve performance. I was wondering exchange my SMART 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz CL 19 for 2x16 GB HYPERX IMPACT 2666Mhz CL 15 but I am unsure if it will worth.

Hi!

No need to do anything with core affinity. More memory might be helpful.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

6 hours ago, SteveW said:

Hi!

No need to do anything with core affinity. More memory might be helpful.

Tks Steve!

In your opinion which is the better option considering the money invested? Buy an additional 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz CL19 memory card or buy 2 modules of Hyperx impact DDR4 2666Mhz CL 15. Is there a performance difference between these memories that justifies the investment?

Unfortunately my computer doesn't support 3200Mhz memories. At least without modifying the BIOS which voids the warranty.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, riclato said:

Tks Steve!

In your opinion which is the better option considering the money invested? Buy an additional 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz CL19 memory card or buy 2 modules of Hyperx impact DDR4 2666Mhz CL 15. Is there a performance difference between these memories that justifies the investment?

Unfortunately my computer doesn't support 3200Mhz memories. At least without modifying the BIOS which voids the warranty.

I don't think there will be any noticeable difference because they won't be near the performance limit. So go up to a pair of cl19 should be OK.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com