Sign in to follow this  
JKawai

Huge performance hit suddenly

In the last week or so I have noticed a dramatic hit to my performance in XP11 VR whilst GTN Simulator.exe is running (a process I've never seen running in Process Lasso until recently).

Whenever the rxpGTN plugin is enabled in XP, performance takes a huge hit and if I launch the Oculus overlay whilst in-game, the frame rate in the overlay is about 1fps. This never happened before and it only happens whilst GTN Simulator.exe/rxpGTN is running.

I am using a Nvidia GTX1070ti on an Intel i7 7700k 4.5ghz quadcore CPU. Windows 10. XP 11.41. The GTN is the latest version apparently as checking for updates says latest version installed. I have never had any issues before with performance until recently.

I have read the bit in the manual about integrated/discrete GPU - there is no option on right clicking the .exe to select a GPU and I also doubt this is the issue as it shouldn't have just changed on its own in the last couple of weeks.

Can anybody advise where I can begin trying to rectify what was absolutely fine until recently - would love to get back to simming instead of spending trillions of hours trying to fix issues that keep popping up at random.

Many thanks

EDIT: just to stress, this is a VR issue. I Dont see a performance hit on the 2d desktop version of what I'm seeing in the Oculus. The GTN seems to be directly affecting the Oculus performance even when the GTN window is hidden but the plugin is running in the background. It's odd because it used to be fine. 

Edited by JKawai

Hi,

• Was there any recent Oculus update?
  • Did you update your NVidia drivers? If so what about rolling back and comparing?
  • Is there a chance you could try out the XP11.50RC2 in Vulkan?
  • Otherwise, are you running Win10 2004 and did you enable GPU Scheduling? What about disabling it?

Last but not least: Process Lasso shouldn't be necessary for XP11 and even less so with the GTN Trainer process running in the background, because the tool will try maximizing resources for XP11 instead of properly balancing resources among the processes which are needed (XP11 + Trainer are 2 different processes).

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Hi Jean-Luc

Thanks so much for the prompt reply.

I think there was in fact an Oculus update. However, as is typical with sim troubleshooting, I'm now noticing issues *without* GTN running (even though before it was noticeably attributed to GTN through testing), and on removing a different plugin, I notice an improvement. So I'll be testing without the other plugin first before I get back to you fully. However, just to answer, I did try to update NVidia, it made things worse so I rolled back. Any XP update I will unfortunately not be doing because I have so much in perfect balance that it would just destroy the tweaking I've spent the last year doing. Windows 10 Home 1909 18363.1016 is my OS.

But yes, like I say I'll get back to you if my issue is solved by disabling the *other* plugin.

While I'm here though, interested to hear the reasoning (if possible to divulge briefly) why you think Process Lasso is not necessary - couple of years ago when I got all this  kit (XP, Oculus) it seemed common knowledge that Process Lasso helped and I have noticed a difference using it by making changes to the XP exes and OVRServer exes, and adjusting the general power profile of the PC to not constantly switch itself off left right and centre as it wishes to 'save power' (despite being a gaming PC)...

Cheers

Edited by JKawai

Just to clarify, the GTN is definitely having a huge impact on frames. With avionics off everything is smooth as butter. As soon as the GTN comes on it is juddery. If I disable the GTN plugin it goes smooth again...

I tried vulkan and it was unbearably juddery so I just went back to 11.41r2. 

On 9/2/2020 at 5:44 AM, JKawai said:

While I'm here though, interested to hear the reasoning (if possible to divulge briefly) why you think Process Lasso is not necessary - couple of years ago when I got all this  kit (XP, Oculus) it seemed common knowledge that Process Lasso helped and I have noticed a difference using it by making changes to the XP exes and OVRServer exes, and adjusting the general power profile of the PC to not constantly switch itself off left right and centre as it wishes to 'save power' (despite being a gaming PC)...

Like I've said:

On 9/1/2020 at 8:34 PM, RXP said:

because the tool will try maximizing resources for XP11 instead of properly balancing resources among the processes which are needed (XP11 + Trainer are 2 different processes).

If you give 100% CPU availability to XP11, you'll get 0% to run the trainer in the background. Change the mix to 95/5 and you get a trainer trying hard to cope with the few resources at his disposal. Add a little Process Lasso magic which is also "parking" other processes memory to disk to free as much possible for XP11 and the trainer constantly fights back and forth to get its process memory back.... Not a good solution and not needed with Win10 at all.

And if you ever want to run FS2020 with Process Lasso and add-ons one day, good luck! Because FS2020 no longer loads add-ons in-memory and most will use or even require an external .exe (a process).

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

On 9/4/2020 at 8:43 AM, JKawai said:

Just to clarify, the GTN is definitely having a huge impact on frames. With avionics off everything is smooth as butter. As soon as the GTN comes on it is juddery. If I disable the GTN plugin it goes smooth again...

With Avionics Off, you're shutting done not only the GTN but anything running when the avionics is on, including things internal to XP11.

The best option to access performance would be:

On 9/4/2020 at 8:43 AM, JKawai said:

I tried vulkan and it was unbearably juddery so I just went back to 11.41r2. 

What about running XP11.50 in OGL then?

With XP11.50 you get a new Plugins > Plugin Admin which can display each plugin performance in us (micro seconds).