Sign in to follow this  
antney79

Building New PC- But Never Have Before!!!

Ok prior I would always purchase from cyberpower my new flight sim computer, this year I am thinking of doing this on my own.  There is enough youtube on how to and thought it would be fun for my son and I to do this.  I want to start purchasing items now in prep for the new graphic cards coming out.  I will most lilkely go with the 3090 card but will wait for benchmark and reviews.  

Question is there a site that I can go to that helps me decide what parts go with what?  Meaning if I decide to go with an I9 10700K will it tell me what motherboards to select.  This is where I get lost and have a hard time finding information, same with RAM and RAM speed.

Also would it not be a good idea to build it myself with all these high end parts for my first build?  Thanks all in advance!

Anthony Neumann

High end parts won't affect the build process. The principle is the same. Your motherboard manual is your friend, it will guide you during the build process. We in the forum are here to help too. Scary being your first time, but we all had to start somewhere. 🙂 Research first, and when you are armed with the necessary knowledge dive in. Take your time, don't rush. Take days over it if you like. Not sure, stop and ask. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

• Upvote 1

You'll need a motherboard with a Z490 chipset for the 10700K.  RAM will be DDR4...you'll want to do some research on that--RAM performance is determined by a combination of both frequency and CAS latency.

Not a lot of big gotchas these days for new builders...a few of note, though, are to make sure your CPU cooling solution fits into your choice of case and that your RAM will not interfere with the CPU cooler.  Some of the large high-performance air coolers don't work with tall memory DIMMs.  Most AIO water coolers don't have that issue...but fitting the radiator in the case is the significant pre-planning issue.

And practice good static mitigation precautions while handling components.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi Anthony.  I use Amazon/Newegg/B&H typically to find parts.  Sometimes you can find all the parts on one site but shop around.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks!

What is the best cpu to get for Flight Sim right now, 2020? 

I want to future proof for the 3090 graphics cards which from what I have read is the more important.  

Anthony Neumann

Probably the 10900K but that's a heck of a lot of money.  I'd go for the 10700K it's a better value.  It's about 400 USD.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

19 hours ago, antney79 said:

Thanks!

What is the best cpu to get for Flight Sim right now, 2020? 

I want to future proof for the 3090 graphics cards which from what I have read is the more important.  

Wait for the new Zen 3 Ryzen generation, which releases in a few weeks, and get one of them with 8-12 cores. I wouldn't buy an Intel desktop CPU in 2020. That's just throwing away money.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

23 hours ago, antney79 said:

Question is there a site that I can go to that helps me decide what parts go with what? 

You have (2) Microcenter stores in the Chicago area.  They have a "build your own" center in each store with advisors dedicated to that theme.  They stock virtually every component you will need at internet pricing.  They will even build it for you for $150.00 to $200.00.  I say that from experience, not to advertise. 

Just did that here in Maryland last month and am thrilled with the results.  One piece of advice.  Do not try to call them on the phone.  Found I needed to go to the store and that worked famously.  I did have them use my 1070 TI since the 3000 series GPU was not out yet. 

My system is unbelievably quiet.  I took the advisor's advice on that for the PSU and cooler.  Late yesterday I heard the system for the first time late during a flight, and I had to strain to hear it. My system specs are in my signature below.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

You'll always get a ton of advice with people telling you don't buy this or wait for that, and if you listened to all that, you'd never buy anything, so I'm not going to suggest anything in particular component-wise. But I will suggest the smartest methodology for building a PC...

The most important thing to consider when building a PC is not which CPU or GPU or PSU you want or prefer, it is the motherboard. Everything else you can buy, fit, upgrade, or tweak, is entirely dependent upon that in terms of physical sockets and expansion/support capabilities, meaning it is the motherboard which informs, steers, and limits, all other component choices.

With this in mind, and with an eye to the future, look carefully at the trends for which CPU socket type all the motherboard manufacturers appear to be favouring for the processors you either want now, or might potentially want in the future. The socket type in particular for the CPU will limit what processors you can fit down the line in a couple of years, and to some extent the expansion slots on the board will inform this choice too.

Once you know all the system support and hardware support features of a decent motherboard which appears to have some extended life expectancy in it, this will best inform your decision for every other component, since the motherboard has a manual which tells you all this and quite often the website of the motherboard manufaturer is very helpful in this regard, usually with a labelled picture of the board, explaining its specs and what it supports.

This is a good starting point from which to start snooping around various online computer stores, weighing up costs versus features to determine choices, and merely doing this will serve to make you much more clued up and confident about matters before you have even spent a penny. When you have that main foundation picked out and are confident you are purchasing the right motherboard, everything else pretty much will fall into place component-wise, with it largely being then down to budget as to how far you go with each additional bit you plug into that motherboard.

Think of it like building a house. The motherboard is equivalent to the foundation through which all the utility connections enter into the house. So if you get that right, your fancy bathroom or kitchen appliances will then work properly. Same with a PC; get the foundation that is the motherboard right and you know everything else will work right.

Actually putting the thing together physically is the easy bit, although be aware of power requirements and do not skimp on the PSU; a decent brand of PSU is expensive, but it is the lifeblood of any PC.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks Chock!  That seems the hrs part with the motherboards since there are so many choices.  

I will probably go to the micro center near me to see what they recommend.  When I contacted them they said a gaming computer would be $599 to build, I would rather do that for that type of money.  $100 or $200 I would let them do it but think it would be fun to do it my self.  

thanks for the other tips as well!

• Like 1

Anthony Neumann

Okay. Here's the easy way to pick a good motherboard: Go to an online store which stocks pretty much all the well known-brands and has a decent search facility. Do a search for motherboards and then list them in descending order, high price to low price.

Now, scroll down the list until you get past the ones with the 'Jeezus H Christ! I'm not paying that!' price tags. This is your starting point. Now compare the features of the brands you have actually heard of at that acceptable price point.

When you find some potential candidates (say perhaps three different brands), look up a few reviews for each one.

Seriously, this is the best way to do it.

Edited by Chock
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

In fact the 3090 is aimed at the developers not gamers, some believe a 3080 20GB will land 2021 around the $999 mark. 

Or go with Ryzen next gen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSaBQeEPw3U&t=1017s

I'm not sure I agree with that.  Even if that's who it's "aimed at" it doesn't mean it isn't hands down the best card for flight simmers.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next