Sign in to follow this  
SirDan

Patch Version 1.7.14.0

28 minutes ago, roesti said:

The discussion was about the person on the official forums who said how many charcaters of text fit in a file of 333MB size. But these patches are not text files, they're compiled source code (binaries) and assets (3D Models or textures). It is just not possible to "calculate" how many lines of code were written if you just take the file size of a patch. There is no direct relation. You can write thousands of lines of code and compile it into a file only a few kilobytes big, for example. The compiler translates the written and readable text humans create into machine code. At the same time, the compiler is able using optimization techniques and recognizes inefficient code and simplifies it. I won't go into detail here, but I hope you understand that his implication (file size = number of characters written) is just false.

My comment was related to a post about "core code was untouched". I understand how patch work in general! I've been software engineer for 20+ years.

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

2 hours ago, B777ER said:

Two weeks for 100+ software developers to get a 333mb patch out the door. Well done lads, well done indeed. Absolutely brilliant work going on there.

I'm sure you mean two weeks for them to confirm the problems, track down exactly what's causing the problems in thousands of lines of code, change code without breaking something else, test the fixes and configure a way to install those fixes without harming anything else.

• Like 5

James

Just installed the patch.  Winds aloft at 6500 ft. over Tennessee are now showing as 275 at 12.  Who knows?

Joe Alferio

• Like 1

• i9-9900K + 2080 Ti | 1TB PCIe + 32GB RAM.  Dell 24 inch monitor.  Thrust master T16000 stick, throttles, and pedals.
    FSX and MSFS.

40 minutes ago, SteveFx said:

I am a sure that I have gained 10fps on a 4 core processor.

You messing with us Steve?

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

52 minutes ago, odourboy said:

You messing with us Steve?

No - there is a significant gain for me. I have an i7-3770K arriving tomorrow and I am not sure its as essential as it seemed last week.  I still see slow loading at the start and occasional big hits as new scenery is loaded but other than that it feels great with low end GA.

Edited by SteveFx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ixoye said:

Now at last, it is time for me to buy the game 😃

I already bought the game but have no where to install it.  Maybe XBOX Series X in November.

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

8 minutes ago, Joe Alferio said:

Just installed the patch.  Winds aloft at 6500 ft. over Tennessee are now showing as 275 at 12.  Who knows?

Joe Alferio

Didn’t fix for me as of an hour ago.

15 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

I'm sure you mean two weeks for them to confirm the problems, track down exactly what's causing the problems in thousands of lines of code, change code without breaking something else, test the fixes and configure a way to install those fixes without harming anything else.

and dont forget all the logistics, its not like a small FS developer who can quickly put out a patch on their website any time they want. The Asobo producer would need to get sign off from the Microsoft project manager once they had something. Microsoft would then need to inform retail and get the store ready for the update, Steam would be notified etc etc and everyone sync up.  In the land of Microsoft size publishing there are a lot of internal teams, hoops and loops to get through to get something online. It's all a bit of a drawn out process. I think they worked extremely quickly to deal with the category A showstoppers, giving them some breathing space to start looking at content fixes.

• Like 7

- Jane Whittaker

2 hours ago, B777ER said:

Two weeks for 100+ software developers to get a 333mb patch out the door. Well done lads, well done indeed. Absolutely brilliant work going on there.

Do not confuse a patch with an update. By definition a patch and small size, the next update that will arrive soon will make almost 100 GB.

• Like 1

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

12 minutes ago, SteveFx said:

No - significant gain for me. I have an i7-3770K arriving tomorrow and I am not sure its as essential as it seemed last week.  I still see slow loading at the start and occasional big hits as new scenery is loaded but other than that it feels great with low end GA.

It's probably Placebo, but I am on approach to SeaTac and I swear I'm getting better main thread performance.  Less hits and lower duration.

1 hour ago, mazex said:

The official forums is a zoo... 

Two very different communities. Over there you have the young people complaining and over here you have the old people complaining. There's a nice middle ground with browsing both honestly.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, guibru said:

Do not confuse a patch with an update. By definition a patch and small size, the next update that will arrive soon will make almost 100 GB.

Almost 100gb? Source? Or is it that 96gb garbage that was being peddled last week?

2 hours ago, sidfadc said:

The size of the patch does NOT denote the time and efforts to fix any of those bugs.  How do you know from a deep technical level what each of those fixes actually entails???  Sick of the constant doom merchants like yourself to be honest. To release a patch of any kind two weeks after release is bloody good going in my book!!

Not in my book. Should've been done prior to release but tbf, likely MS marketing dictating that and they don't care as they got their bonuses.

Eric 

2 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

Are you new to software development? Size=/=Time to develop. 

Nah mate, I have a much better paying job.

• Like 1

Eric