Sign in to follow this  
roi1862

Allocate more CPU cycles to terrain loading ?

Guys anyone knows a trick to make the CPU load terrain further ? i am locked 40 FPS and everything is smooth its just the terrain loading to more finset level very close to the airplane. I tried even locking at 25 FPS and still the same. I got terrain load up to 200. Any possibility that external FPS limits choking the CPU ?

Roi Ben

MSFS2020 is locked at 4CPU cores. Very disapointed about that for a game in 2020. They are using DX11. once they upgrade msfs2020 to DX12 they should be able to unlock usage of more CPU cores. 

Thats why ppl get so low fps even with a 2080Ti.

At least I think thats the problem. not sure. Its what I heard. 

MSFS uses all of my 8 cores, core7 is doing the heavy lifting though.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

4 minutes ago, mullvaden83 said:

MSFS2020 is locked at 4CPU cores. Very disapointed about that for a game in 2020. They are using DX11. once they upgrade msfs2020 to DX12 they should be able to unlock usage of more CPU cores. 

Hi, 

I actually found that in most cases FPS is not the problem. "Back in the days" of P3D it was opposite. Now at any FPS the terrain gets render quite close to the plane. any FFTF tweaks here 🙂 ? 

Roi Ben

6 minutes ago, mullvaden83 said:

really? Friend’s ryzen CPU uses all its 12 cores...

Rado

Rado

i7 4770K@4,1Ghz HT on since release of MSFS
1080 Ti 11GB 
32GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung SSDs

The game is only using 8 thread as far as I've seen. I got a 32 threads processor. I would see if it uses more.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

I am really trying to understand. If i will be main thread limited i will get some slow terrain and texture loading. 

I noticed that if ill limit my FPS from NI i will be main thread limited. But if i dont limit my FPS at all i will by GPU limited and then i will have much less late/slow texture loading. Looking back to P3D/FSX its exactly the opposite behaviour. 

Can someone please explain me what is the concept here ?? iam lost.

Edited by roi1862

Roi Ben

14 hours ago, radorabatin said:

really? Friend’s ryzen CPU uses all its 12 cores...

Rado

Well yeah. I have Ryzen 9 3900x. 4 cores are heavy lifting. like over 70% load. The rest are under 20% load. So not much done by the others.

I sure hope they make it use more CPU cores. 

2 hours ago, roi1862 said:

I am really trying to understand. If i will be main thread limited i will get some slow terrain and texture loading. 

I noticed that if ill limit my FPS from NI i will be main thread limited. But if i dont limit my FPS at all i will by GPU limited and then i will have much less late/slow texture loading. Looking back to P3D/FSX its exactly the opposite behaviour. 

Can someone please explain me what is the concept here ?? iam lost.

Sometimes you may have 40-45% CPU usage evenly distributed throughout 8 threads, 50% GPU usage, low framerate and you wonder "why doesn't it just use the resources?"

Nobody can answer your questions now, we can only hope that Asobo optimizes the game further.

Sorry if I post again the CPU usage of a 3950X in NY, absolutely one of the most CPU hungry locations: one of the CPU cores (no. 3) bottlenecks the entire system, GPU included. It gives you an idea of how long is the way to have the sim properly optimized for modern hardware.

WzzspBx.png

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

You can enable developer mode and turn on the FPS counter, in there it tells you if its CPU bottleneck, GPU bottleneck or main thread overloaded. No matter how many cores get used if the main thread is bogged down , nothing else is getting fed. Same as it was in FSX and P3D...

Steve 'Slayer' McNitt
Quality Assurance
spacer.png

I'm really interested from where this rumor with "only 4 cores being used" is coming. In my case I see 16 threads (8 cores, HT on) being used with 25-40% more or less evenly distributed. No 100% pegging. I conclude, that I'm bottlenecked by my GPU (2800Ti with 3440x1440). To come back to OP, unfortunately I have this late terrain allocation too, but it is more prominent in dense urban areas.

• Like 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

3 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I'm really interested from where this rumor with "only 4 cores being used" is coming. In my case I see 16 threads (8 cores, HT on) being used with 25-40% more or less evenly distributed. No 100% pegging. I conclude, that I'm bottlenecked by my GPU (2800Ti with 3440x1440). To come back to OP, unfortunately I have this late terrain allocation too, but it is more prominent in dense urban areas.

Not sure about the cores to be honest... I know that my CPU is around 40%-50% most times while GPU is 90+. 

More annoying then building or trees slow/late load is the terrain load. I hate how hills/mountains changing height before my eyes.

Roi Ben

10 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Not sure about the cores to be honest... I know that my CPU is around 40%-50% most times while GPU is 90+. 

More annoying then building or trees slow/late load is the terrain load. I hate how hills/mountains changing height before my eyes.

And thats with a default slow GA planes... we sure no FFTF tweak here  ? 🙂 

Edited by roi1862

Roi Ben

36 minutes ago, Nemo said:

To come back to OP, unfortunately I have this late terrain allocation too, but it is more prominent in dense urban areas.

Do you think that maybe the high res terrain mesh does not being saved to the rolling cache ? Any maybe internet speed playing a major role here ?

Roi Ben