Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Well for me anyway, FS9 rules, FSX waste of money

After reading this thread, makes me glad I am currently flying on Vatsim with smooooth graphics and FR's in my PSS 777 at FL310 on my way to Dubai courtesy of Fly-Tampa with great wx from AS6 and textures from GEPro. You X'ers have fun tweaking away to try and get it to 15 frames a sec in your default plane flying over the newly relealized deserts of the MS world while we continue doing in FS9 what we bought the sim for, flying. EDIT: oops, forgot, have REP from Tim as well...must have for FS9!

Eric 

Guest Len

Here's another example of bush flying. Full right scenery sliders except autogen which is at extremely dense. A Lake in Alaska. Real weather with lesser bit clouds I downloaded for FSX. 1600x1200. The series of three shows default float plane in the water 15.5 fps. Now in fairness, when you leave the water and over land it will average 9-11 fps. Second frame is over land and water - 11.8 fps and going over a lake 19.4 fps. Smooth landing at my ceiling of 24 fps. I'm sure the heavier the cloud cover the more problematic the frames would be but this would not be unlike FS9.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Lent1/alaskafsx1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Lent1/alaskafsx2.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Lent1/alaskafsx3.jpg

Guest babua

Give us screenshots like Len with the panel visibible, better if its 2-D panel. Lets see the framerates then and mind you screenshots dont catch stutters!! better still show us the same with some traffic also on the sky!! Let me also know which supercomputer everybody is running.What was the size of fs9? 3 cds? 1.8 GB. FSX is 8 gb out of which by our tweaks we have got it down to 3 or 4 gb of usable data. Do you all think double the data now gives double the eye candy even now. Leave alone the performance drop!!

>After reading this thread, makes me glad I am currently>flying on Vatsim with smooooth graphics and FR's in my PSS 777>at FL310 on my way to Dubai courtesy of Fly-Tampa with great>wx from AS6 and textures from GEPro. You X'ers have fun>tweaking away to try and get it to 15 frames a sec in your>default plane flying over the newly relealized deserts of the>MS world while we continue doing in FS9 what we bought the sim>for, flying. >EDIT: oops, forgot, have REP from Tim as well...must have for>FS9!I must admit, that everytime I fly commercial, my preference is a window seat. Then I look down, and am always wishing to be at lower altitudes, because I know from GA flying experience that I'm missing so much at high flight levels.FSX, with it's textures that are far more crisp than FS9's for lower altitude flying, has become my ticket. And I'm doing it at around 30fps & tweakless. Have fun with your flight levels, and I have fun with my FSX flights. I still have FS9 with all it's glorius add-ons, should the need arise.L.Adamson

>Give us screenshots like Len with the panel visibible, better>if its 2-D panel. Lets see the framerates then and mind you>screenshots dont catch stutters!! better still show us the>same with some traffic also on the sky!! Let me also know>which supercomputer everybody is running.>Happily, I'm still stutterless. Been flying the Maule over mountain country all evening with the VC hitting a near solid 30 fps.I HATE STUTTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the REASON I also have several versions of X-Plane!Would there be any reason for me to hide "stuttering" in FSX, just to make a point! Of course NOT!Remember, I always have the option of FS9, for lots of AI traffic and intense panels, that still might bring FS9 to it's knees. In the meantime, I'd never get the near photo quality images out of FS9 that come standard with FSX. FS9 just isn't capable of high res textures.GEEZE.... I'm getting tired of the BSL.Adamson

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hello Len,Even with Autogen and Water turned off it looks like you have some sliders turned up that may be causing your system/sim to be begging for......more than 1 GB of RAM.My system specs are about the same as yours and I run at 1600x1200 but I can get better performance than you, and I have MyTraffic X installed. Another gig of ram might make a considerable difference for you.System Specs:Intel P4 3.4C(C = Northwood Core with Hyperthreading) on Asus P4C800-E Deluxe(Intel 875P + ICH5R Chipset), Zalman 7000a-Cu HS/Fan, Enermax EG651P-VE 550W PSU, 2 GB Mushkin eXtreme Performance(2-2-2) Dual Channel PC3200 RAM, Samsung 214T MultiSync 21" Digital LCD Monitor, Sapphire Radeon X800 XT PE Videocard with Catalyst v6.9 Driver, DirectX 9.0c, Creative Audigy2 Platinum Soundcard with Driver version 02.09.0016, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speakers, Western Digital 250 GB w/8 MB Cache 7200 RPM Parallel ATA HDD, WinXP Pro SP2, Norton SystemWorks and Personal Firewall 2006

Guest babua

>GEEZE.... I'm getting tired of the BSThen you should stop the BS. Every video I have seen has stutters, my machine which is top of the line has stutters and every other forum users say they have stutters. Everytime somebody posts something contrary to your position you need not pop up like roger rabit and declare your delusions of granduer with fsx. Its us who is simply getting tired of your BS. There is no Personal computer which will not stutter while banking on the default setting and visible panel in major cities. Period. Spare us your rantings.

Guest bustervk

FSX Waste of money is one step to far, but YES i still do like my FS9 with all the nice addons and i allready wrote at my site http://www.worldoffs.com After 18 days of using FSX I am Slightly SatisfiedWhat i dislike mostly : 1. the exclusions made in FS9 scenery don't work for FSX.2. the autogen gives even in "parse" to many objects.3. some bugs.4. I miss AFCAD, FSNAV, EZScenery and SceneGenX very much.Hopefully when all the adjustments are made and new designer add-ons are produced i gonna be really satisfiedIn the meantime i fly enjoy my own designed scenery in my old FS9 with all the goodies and...no problems!Till ext time!Byebert

Guest kang

The texture buffer tweak gave me the most improvement in stutters.I set the the texture buffer size to 20 megs and i have virtually no stutters even when extremely low and turning hard with 1m textures.20 megs might be overgenerous. I think the dev suggested a max of 10 megabytes but i was still getting stutters even with that.I tried a wide range of values. I only ran into problems when i went above 40 megabytes. I have a 512 mb VC.10 megs made a huge diff but if I really pushed it i'd still see stutters. Setting it to 20 and they virtually disappeared.I did all my testing in the Bay area with 1 m textures and dense autogen. I also noticed a subtle but significant performance increase with this tweak.Especially when you're flying around in the same area, after a short while, most of the necessary textures become resident in memory which dramatically speeds up the time the texturing process requires.As with any caching stategy, its a hit and miss kind of thing but overall i'd say its giving me 2-3 more FPS and possibly more when everything lines up.

>Fine, I live in Dallas, I'll PM my address so you can come>down and I will show you that I installed the first time, no>phone activation. I have 1 tweak, the autogen limit posted on>Paul's blog, that's it and I am content with the performance>and visuals I am getting for where I fly. Oh yeah, specs in my>sig, not top of the line but it holds it's own. If and when I>get Vista and if I have any problems (had them in the past>with other games and programs, why should this be any>different) I'll make sure to let you know also.- I reacted to J van E because he lives near me, crossing the Atlantic for a mere game is not something I'd like to do.- The appointment is planned for october 2007. By that time we will have Vista and (hopefully 2nd gen DX10 hardware).- When you upgrade to Vista you need to activate Vista and re-activate FS-X. If you get a crappy 1st gen DX10 card you will have switched cards at least once. Potentially you might get some activation problems and I'd like to know what to expect.- I want to wait a year then (if its worthwhile) upgrade to a great Vista system with 2nd gen DX10 GPU and multi core procs that can act as a virtual single core.- Doing this I will: profit from all the Microsoft Update(s), the best user patches, learn from the forum which hardware works best. I will lose less time tweaking and the hardware I buy in a years time will be cheaper than todays top rigs but it will run FS-X much smoother.I'm looking to save money, time and spare myself some aggrivation. I'm happy that the early adopters are willing to invest so much time into FS-X it will make my eventual switch so much easier>I really feel for those that are dissapointed or are having>problems, but stop moaning for the sake of moaning and stop>assuming EVERYONE feels the same as you about the product,>THEY DON'T! Enjoy FS9 and Xplane.Most people don't moan for the moaning. They moan because they care they are flightsimmers by heart and they vent their dissapointment and frustration with the current product denying the problems they are experiencing will only anger them (they are dissapointed, not stupid). I personally have a problem with FS-X and how it performs on my hardware. My solution is wait a year and devote the little time I have for this hobby to flying. So maybe I'll join the FS-X usergroup in a years time. I will keep a lookout in this forum on how things are progressing.Feel free to PM me in a years time for a virtual meeting about all this. Untill that time have fun with flight simming in whatever program you might fancy.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest bj00rn

>Everytime somebody posts something contrary to your position you need>not pop up like roger rabit and declare your delusions of>granduer with fsx. Its us who is simply getting tired of your>BS. Spare us your rantings.Did you look in the mirror lately...? Why are you always posting in an angry and offensive manner, and what makes you think you are free to speak on the behalf of others?

-----------------------------------------I'm not a beta tester, and I certainly don't wish to pay for the 'privilege'. Software should run smoothly on release ;)