Sign in to follow this  
bigglesfred

Clean Install of FSX?

I have the old cd version of FSX Gold which was installed initially on Windows 7 and survived the upgrade to Windows 10.

I have had to do clean install of Windows and now need to get FSX installed and working. It looks as though there can be problems getting it to run on Windows 10.

To start with should I just let the installer have its head and sort out any problems later if there are any, or is there a recommended process I can follow that avoids the issues in the first place.

Thanks for any advice.

You shouldn't have a problem. I just did a reinstall of Windows 10 and a clean install of FSX Gold from the DVD's. In fact, I've done it 4-5 times over the past couple of years. FSX runs just fine. One caution though, don't let the installer put FSX in the default location . Instead make a new folder called FSX (or whatever you'd like it to be) in the root directory. Right at the beginning of the install you'll see a box on the lower left called "Browse" and clicking on that will let you change the location used by the installer. Point the installer to the folder you've just created and let it do it's thing.

Edited by W2DR
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Definitely do not install to the default location, create a separate folder and point the installer to that folder.  Given how inexpensive it is, have you considered FSX: Steam Edition.  The Steam Edition fixed a number of issues that were never addressed in the boxed versions of FSX.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I recently had to do a clean reinstall of FSX.  Don't listen to the naysayers, it runs just fine in the latest version of Windows 10.

• Like 1

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Hi all, sorry for the delay, I havent received the email notifications.

Ok, so install in c:\fsx

Do I need to run the install (or FSX for that matter) as an admin?

Am I ok to install the acceleration pack?

Thanks.

I don't think you need to run the installer as Admin but it can't hurt either. You don't need to run FSX as Admin. Run the completed installation at least once before installing Acceleration. Nothing special needs to be done for the Acceleration install.....just fire up the disc and let it do its thing.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Bit of an update.

Install of FSX into c:\FSX went well, had a couple of flights, rebooted, installed Acceleration Pack and the wheels have fallen off. AP didn't ask where FSX was installed, it just ran and completed all without asking for an Activation Code. I'm now getting told that the product isn't activated and fsx terminates after 20 minutes or so. I've tried the registry hack (changing a key from 0 to partmgr or something) but it was already at partmgr. I'm currently trying a repair to see what happens.

I see loads of posts on this issue but some are quite convoluted and sometimes contradictory. Has anyone got the actual fix please. All I want to do is enter the AP Activation Code somehow!

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, bigglesfred said:

but it was already at partmgr.

Did you try with PartMgr ? (it's case sensitive, I had the same issue)

i9-11900K (5.3 GHz), 64 GB RAM (DDR4 3600), RTX 3070, 1 TB (M.2 SSD). Windows 10 Pro. Installed Sims: MSFS 2020.

I was just coming back to post an update.

Yes that was it, I had ignored the case, changing as you say has sorted it and its activated now.

Next is trying to get TileProxy running again!!

Thanks for your help.

• Like 2

Somewhat related.

I have always seen that you shouldn't install FSX to the default location. But I forget why. I have always installed it to the default location and never had any problem. But then,except for some repaints, self-built airports, and flight plans, I run a mostly default FSX.

A few weeks ago I copied my SSD with FSX on it to a larger SSD. Afterwards, on starting FSX I found it was no longer activated. After going through the whole registry thing, it did activated. However the next time I started it I got the same activation error. However starting as admin works. I wonder if it would have worked right away if I had started as admin first.

• Like 1

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

33 minutes ago, bobbyjack said:

Somewhat related.

I have always seen that you shouldn't install FSX to the default location. But I forget why. I have always installed it to the default location and never had any problem. But then,except for some repaints, self-built airports, and flight plans, I run a mostly default FSX.

The default location (Program Files) is aggressively protected by Windows's anti-virus components such as Windows Defender.  So third party programs may have a hard time modifying your installation since its attempts may be blocked by Windows without you knowing it.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

Exactly what BF Bullpup said! Install games, sims, and any program that allows such to a folder other than the heavily protected C:\Program Files folder.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

That's it. Now I remember.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

FSXSE runs perfectly on my Windows 10. Ensure you have the latest build before the clean reinstall (which is Version 2004, Build 19041.508). You can find the version by pressing the Windows Key and typing winver and then press the Enter key.

Others before me have already mentioned this but its so important that I shall reiterate it - for FSX, FSX:SE and all other games create your own folders in the root drive and install them there.

My example:

C:\
|
[ Flight Sim X-Plane 11 ]
[ My Steam Games ] *

*FSX:SE is in here too

You will prevent issues by doing this, specially when it comes to tweaking & modding. Its also away from Windows Defender and 3rd party default anti virus scans which in the past have caused chaos for me by being aggressive and deleting files during scans. However if you're uncomfortable doing this then you can install to default and optionally exclude the FSX folder from your security software. Any good anti-virus/malware software allows this.