Sign in to follow this  
MarkSC

Over One Million Pilots!

4 minutes ago, Slides said:

What's their to spin? When did I say the USAF does not use P3D at all? You're confusing me with someone else here who likes to make claims without proof.

From here Got it from here:

20 minutes ago, Slides said:

On their homepage, one of the airplanes in spotlight is an F-22. I'm reasonably sure that they are not using P3D for F-22 commercial use for the USAF.

Sorry if I misunderstood what You wrote.

4 minutes ago, Slides said:

But I bet you a fiver that the F-22 model that is being promoted on their website as a default aircraft is not what the USAF uses for training.

I can also bet we aren't. We are not privy to those high tech models.

Most important question: how many product testers they can hire now with... $100M?

1 minute ago, RamonB said:

I can also bet we aren't. We are not privy to those high tech models.

That was my point. They are shipping with a default F-22. Who's the target for that? Because the USAF would be using their own proprietary model in house. And there are no other commercial use cases for the F-22.

• Like 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

9 minutes ago, Slides said:

That was my point. They are shipping with a default F-22. Who's the target for that?

Got it.
As to whom is their target?
Don't know, but perhaps to attract Young people who aspire to become an Air Force Fighter Pilot.
(At least me as a youngster, I dreamed becoming one of them. Played F-15 Strike Eagle and F117A 24/7 )
Food for thought!

Edited by RamonB
  • Upvote 1

I'm guessing the 10.39 hour 'longest flight' mentioned in the tweet included at least one mid-air refuel? 😋

• Like 1

Bernard

5 hours ago, tpete61 said:

I didn't state a fact...i said "probably"

so NO I don't know! It is highly unlikely we are going to see 1 million serious simmers if you believe so you are delusional.

You said “probably” though. So what makes you think it’s probable that most of them are “casual” gamers (whatever that means), versus lapsed flight sim enthusiasts or other types of gamers? Don’t mean to single this post out particularly, but it’s dripping with sneary ‘serious flight simmer’ elitism. 

personally even if a proportion of those people don’t play longer than a few months (which is pretty normal for most games anyway), I’m really pleased that many more people have experienced something as exciting as this sim. And hopefully a good proportion of new players will stay and help freshen up the scene a bit. It’s also why I have been surprised for a while that more wasn’t built in to try and engage people within the game in a more structured way from the outset. 

10 minutes ago, overspeed3 said:

I just wonder how many of the alleged million+ crowd thought there would be aerial dogs fights on XBox?

0.1%?

actually I’d imagine it’d be considerably less than that really, otherwise there would be some noise about the lack of both dog fights, and it not being on Xbox yet. 

Edited by Superdelphinus

4 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

That's interesting, especially because I assume, that you are with Aerosoft. I can't remember where I read it, but somebody else here in Avism (or maybe one of other MSFS forums) mentioned Microsoft had no commitments for MSFS with respect to Lockheed, and said that Microsoft was free to sell MSFS commercially. But since you are with Aerosoft, maybe you know more than us.  

As I said, the only two parties who know for sure are Microsoft and Lockheed Martin, and I'm pretty sure that neither company has said anything about this, other than that Microsoft stated they were approached by a few companies about building a flight simulator for them, however Microsoft did not say anything more about this including whether their contract with LM would prevent them from doing so.  That leaves the matter where I said it was, a contract between the two companies. 

• Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

4 hours ago, Slides said:

Why would you suspect that? I suspect that they will cut down their team soon once the non commercial market dries up for them.

And let's not kid ourselves about contracts. LM has been selling it's product to users for entertainment when they're not supposed to. They have no leg to stand on.

Flight simmers were never Lockheed's target market for P3D, and there are versions of P3D that flight simmers have never seen.  Their market is commercial, as their contract allows for.  Flight simmers and even flight sim developers were the best Wide Beta team they could ever pay for, but of course didn't have to.  Genius.  Oh, I'm not guessing about this.

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Like 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

2 hours ago, viz said:

I'm guessing the 10.39 hour 'longest flight' mentioned in the tweet included at least one mid-air refuel? 😋

UF done it many times in FSX no reality but hey hopefully it will get fixed.

18 hours ago, Superdelphinus said:

You said “probably” though. So what makes you think it’s probable that most of them are “casual” gamers (whatever that means), versus lapsed flight sim enthusiasts or other types of gamers? Don’t mean to single this post out particularly, but it’s dripping with sneary ‘serious flight simmer’ elitism. 

personally even if a proportion of those people don’t play longer than a few months (which is pretty normal for most games anyway), I’m really pleased that many more people have experienced something as exciting as this sim. And hopefully a good proportion of new players will stay and help freshen up the scene a bit. It’s also why I have been surprised for a while that more wasn’t built in to try and engage people within the game in a more structured way from the outset. 

Unfortunately for most people including some I know. It is a game not a simulator.

Many will not spend endless hours creating real flight plans, using flight sim hardware and such.

My statement is closer to reality then many think.

There is endless praise, adulation and craziness about a product that has been on the market for a couple of weeks.

I'm happy you believe the hype machine and have an extremely positive views of what the future holds for this game. I'm quite a bit more reserved than that.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Actually, within the limitations of the data, I'm sure MS is happy with that. PC games relative to other platforms don't sell that much and again within the limitations of the data, there are only a handful of recent games on the PC that sold one million copies or more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games

Yeah, yeah, it's Wikipedia, but developers have been hiding sales and user data quite effectively, because it's bad for the brand if a game flops. This thread reminds me of the similar thread quoting the industry "guru" who projected that MSFS would generate over two billion dollars worldwide in new PC hardware sales, but didn't mention that his estimate was a drop in the bucket compared to total PC hardware sales.

The real money maker for MS will be the Xbox version of MSFS, assuming that has both competent VR hardware and performance.