Sign in to follow this  
M-Air Bush Deliveries Ltd

My Grand Norway Tour

GqsDQ5O.jpg

I like to spend some time studying the regions where I fly. So I decided to take my Icon A5 and go on a Norway tour. I fly with landmarks only by Alt-Tab-ing with Bing maps, no compass, no GPS - and most important no pause when on Bing maps. Therefore I planned my tour accordingly and each leg should be around 1.5-2h, which includes the usual getting-lost detours.

Tour Plan: Tromso(ENTC)-Gradussan(ENEN)-Rossvoll(ENRA)-Namsos(ENMM)-Fagerhaug(ENOP)-Haukasen(ENSG)-Sola(ENSV)

Conditions: Broken Clouds, each start at 10am. Broken clouds make it a bit harder and visually more pleasing.

1tcYmGs.jpg

Start 1st leg: Tromso. Tromso is a cultural centre in the polar region of Norway and famous for spotting polar lights. With a population of 71.590 it is 12th most populous municipality in Norway. Despite its location, Tromso has a warmer climate than most locations on the same latitude due the the effect of the gulf stream. Tromso airport was opened in 1964 and its lowest ever temperature recording was −20.1 °C (−4.2 °F) in February 1985. This is where my journey will start tomorrow

1ZGmDGg.jpg

kUQtBOU.jpg.

Edited by M-Air Bush Deliveries Ltd
  • Like 6

Why not live weather? Otherwise it's not realy realistic?

Karl

i9-9900K@5,0   |  32GB 3200  |  2080TI  |  4K 55"  |  MSFS | P3D V5

10 hours ago, kaha said:

Why not live weather? Otherwise it's not realy realistic?

Karl

I will be on the ground for days if it does not play ball. Or it will be too easy on clear days to do landmark VFR in Norway (nothing but huge distinct water bodies and mountains)

• Like 4

biCvL3p.jpg

Tromso(ENTC) - Eneves/Harstad(ENE)

Starting from Tromso, which turns out has midnight sun in summer and months of absolute darkness in winter, the original plan to go to Gradussan was canceled due to fuel concerns. The new destination was Harstad(ENEV), an international airport located in Evenes Municipality. While this sound big, the airport is basically in the middle of nowhere for central european standards. Its remote location is deceiving however, since its purpose is to serve as a hub for the larger cities of Narvik and Harstad. To put it into a norwegian perspective though, Harstad is 35km away from the airport. Talk about sparsely populated areas, aye?

xKaPuuE.jpg

The flight itself was very relaxing, even if flown without GPS/compass and only using a map to navigate by landmarks. As oppose to other areas, the large water bodies and mountain ranges help a lot. Spectacular broken clouds added some difficulty and made it interesting though. Last but not least, they served for good images.

bWt6CWs.jpg

This is Tenevol. A settlement with 307 inhabitants and it only counts as a settlement for statistical reasons in Norway. I did not know it exists, now I do.GUXBPv8.jpg

QIG3Ay3.jpg

EWfjfxg.jpg

PLk8ilh.jpg

And finally, arrival in ENEV, where the start of Leg 2 will be. 

F0QVShG.jpg

• Like 6

Very nice!  I've been doing a few flights in Norway myself and it's been a fantastic place to fly over and explore.

Great! "Roadtrips" in MSFS are really fun. I just completed my trip from Northern Germany to Gran Canaria in the XCub which lead me across France, Spain, Morocco and parts of the atlantic ocean.

• Like 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

Great post... totally love the shots!

Wouldn't this post be a better fit in the Screenshots forum though? Perhaps a new Screenshot sub-forum for MFS '20 shots might be a consideration for the Avsim folks, eh?

I can see the MFS '20 forum starting to become a bit sprawling...

Edited by RustyFlyer

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

Made rather stop in Ålesund, already made but in real.

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

5 hours ago, Novation said:

Very nice!  I've been doing a few flights in Norway myself and it's been a fantastic place to fly over and explore.

Absolutely! But sadly the mesh in Norway (as in other Nordic countries) needs a lot of work.

Edited by kiki
  • Like 1

nn3Ro9S.jpg

Eneves/Harstad(ENEV) - Gradussan(ENEN)

This trip concluded my journey to Gradussan, which was planned on leg 1 but was stopped short for fuel concerns. I only travel with 10 Gallons in my Icon A5, so planning getting-lost buffers is important. Since Eneves to Gradussan is a rather short trip as the crow flies, I decided to take a detour through the towering mountain range that hugs the large Eneves bay. This also gave me an opportunity to visit Narvik, a town that other countries would call industrial town and which is located on the other end of the bay. The mountains were spectacular (topo mesh mess-ups aside ;)), and only lifted to jaw-dropping heights by the broken clouds hugging them. Once I arrived in Gradussan, I was blown away by the little island. More interesting were the strange circles that I spotted. It turns out, in World War II the germans installed giant guns there, I supposed an anti-air guns. Crazy idiots as they were back then, the projectiles fired from those things were man sized. Shows you that size does not matter, does it? This revelation aside, another finding was that there is absolutely nothing near the airstrip. In fact the airstrip is privately owned and usually in such a bad shape, that if you get permission to land there, they have to mown the lawn. Well, I got permission, but did not even find the parking to complete my log.

Oom3gLf.jpg

Gradussan and the big gun

VdyyqUL.jpg

XC9756D.jpg

On the way to Gradussan

Narvik (which seems to be an industrial harbor town with even uglier satellite imagery)

3L4NabT.jpg

Mountains (every lake there ends on ....net or ...javvre!? Must be a thing there.)

oIM1X17.jpg

7KxwTog.jpg

g7tqW5H.jpg

PDxEGo6.jpg

For the next leg I changed my plan again because I noticed I am right next to the Lofoten. There is not missing them and the most 'special' stadion in the world.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Great! "Roadtrips" in MSFS are really fun. I just completed my trip from Northern Germany to Gran Canaria in the XCub which lead me across France, Spain, Morocco and parts of the atlantic ocean.

It's real fun, is not it. I also did a lot of other trips before the Norway trip. Small issue is, that all starts to look the same. So I decided to make actual tour plans and read up about the region and so on. Immersionx100

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kiki said:

Absolutely! But sadly the mesh in Norway (as in other Nordic countries) needs a lot of work.

I must have been lucky in my flights there so far, as I only saw one major anomaly.