Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Another review about the Scenery

Some people need to stop feeling so butt hurt whenever someone posts something that falls short of glowing praise for the new Microsoft Flight Simulator. Why is someone's honest opinion now seen as "trolling"? Yes, Gerard may have stated it several times, but so what?

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Just now, SirDan said:

a 10+ year old sim.

Tbf, a continually updated sim. Maybe not to your liking but that does not negate the fact that it is continually updated. So when you say, 10+ year old sim, it would lead someone to believe XP, in it's current iteration, is 10 years old when that is simply not true. Context in your post was missing

Eric 

7 hours ago, charlie130 said:

"... My expectations are somewhat lower than younger simmers. I was thrilled 30+ years ago with a green earth, blue sky and wireframe Cessna! 🙂"

I never understand the arguments that I have seen here many times which all share a similar theme: "Well, I'm old now, so I don't... this or that" (fill in the blanks with "care about gauges' legibility", "care about about scener...", "care about............"

Perhaps I am no spring chicken, but (before COVID) when I go to a restaurant and order a steak, I *still* expect it to be served to me properly cooked and tasting great. The arguments I have referenced are akin to saying in this situation "Well, I'm old now, and I used to only have the opportunity to eat dinosaur steaks. Ok, so this steak had more grizzle than meat, and ok, so they overcooked it harder than a hockey puck, but I am old now, and it is better than the dinosaur steak I used to eat a gazillion years ago, so I will simply accept it as is and eat it because I am old and I no longer care about taste and about such things." If a restaurateur gets away with that, then all the apologists for poorly-cooked steaks deserve all the chetty steaks they are served and, um, can eat!

If anything, my expectations are both higher and more demanding than when I was younger. I intend to expect great-tasting, properly cooked steaks until I can no longer eat! lol. All that being said, generally, I think the entire MFS '20 experience to date has been a very enjoyable and properly cooked steak (a few bits of grizzle here and there aside).

Edited by RustyFlyer
  • Like 1

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

Just now, B777ER said:

Context in your post was missing

Context , sorry I am on a MSFS forum but I'll jump over to X-plane forums in a bit to show context  MSFS 2020 vs X-plane and why it really is the best sim.. 

• Like 1

Just now, SirDan said:

Context , sorry I am on a MSFS forum but I'll jump over to X-plane forums in a bit to show context  MSFS 2020 vs X-plane and why it really is the best sim.. 

I'm simply referencing a comment in a post you made here, In the MSFS forum, in case you forgot.

Eric 

2 minutes ago, B777ER said:

in case you forgot.

Top right click my avatar , can always send me a message.  I'll chat with you, am old. I do forget a lot of things

Edited by SirDan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SirDan said:

Just don't tell the thousands of people over at r/flightsim that MSFS 2020 has scenery issues or else they will blot out your eyes with videos and screenshots of the amazing scenery. With out needing 50 mods 🙂  All of them but that one poor X-plane soul that post his once a day screenshot, poor guy trying to stay relevant with a 10+ year old sim.

Make way for the Next Gen of Flight Sim , Let the old dogs die in a fire.....

You are clearly leaving a normal respectful behaviour overhere by stating your community fellows to be "poor". Why is that? Do you also post this to people who more then ones write how great MSFS is? 

• Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

3 hours ago, LHookins said:

In the mean time, try some GA flying;  you might enjoy it.  Many formerly exclusive airliner simmers have.

Absolutely Mr Hookins!

The reason why I only rarely flew GA in sims, was that the scenery was just not authentic enough. Sure you can have ortho photos, but it's really hard to recognize the shape of buildings if they are painted flat on the ground, or - even worse - some random autogen building is placed on top.

MSFS already does a great job delivering in that regard. If in future they improve, it will be hard to beat MSFS.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

NOTE TO THE COMPLAINERS:  This is the MSFS forum.  Expect people to praise it here.  If we didn't like MSFS, we wouldn't be here.  

I would never, ever have the audacity to go into P3D or XPlane forums and bash their respective sims.  It's just poor form.  

It is possible to point out defects (i.e. criticize) MSFS without seeming to bash it.  I've done a bit of that myself.  The problem happens when someone comes in with an attitude that is reflected in everything he posts and bashes MSFS.  There are a few posters who are doing this a lot.  

You don't make a product better by bashing it.  If I had some of these people as testers on one of my projects, they wouldn't be my testers long.  I want information, not criticism.  Yes, point out problems.  But understand that the problems can usually be fixed, and the developers will fix them when they get more important problems fixed.

If you want to fly study level airliners, you have a couple of good options in other sims.  I do not have such options for "study level" pilotage and dead reckoning.  Orbx is no help because the only time I'd see an Orbx area is when I was flying through it to go somewhere else.  Because I am usually flying everywhere else.

Note to everyone else:  Put the haters on ignore.  You'll be a lot happier.

Hook

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

3 hours ago, GSalden said:

Therefore I am really sceptical on putting complex jetliners into MSFS and then also expect good FPS and smooth visuals.

I know that you have an objective view given your experience. I hope though that your fear becomes not true. If I look at the Vulkan transition at XP, it took a while to optimize the code of the sim in oder to get everything fluent. I just hope that MFS will also optimized so that PMDG or FSlabs airliners will perform without seeing stutters. It is part of the development and hardware grows as well.

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

Gerard is one of the nicest members on the AVSIM forum. What is wrong with some of you guys?

If you want respect, start by giving some. Thank you!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

3 minutes ago, LHookins said:

But understand that the problems can usually be fixed, and the developers will fix them when they get more important problems fixed.

Great quote! But I have to admit that sometimes I'm a little annoying to raise awareness for certain things. 😉

Like the control authority. Hello ASOBO? 🙋‍♂️

• Like 1

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

3 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Great quote! But I have to admit that sometimes I'm a little annoying to raise awareness for certain things.

There are some things about MSFS that annoy me as well.  For example, the entire hazards.bgl database is not depicted, so no radio towers, no stacks on factories, etc.  But I'm not going on a crusade like might be done with undulating runways or tree sizes.  

And I'm certainly not going looking for unfavorable reviews of MSFS and posting them  as "honest" reviews.  Yes, I'm interested in reading dissenting opinions, but at least point out that they are less then favorable, don't try to depict them as somehow being more "honest" than favorable reviews.

THAT... is the difference between giving us information and bashing the sim.

Hook

• Like 2

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

17 minutes ago, LHookins said:

NOTE TO THE COMPLAINERS:  This is the MSFS forum.  Expect people to praise it here

Easy there unbridled enthusiasm is not allowed , I just got my first warning by our wonderful moderation team 🙂   Guess I was being to toxic to the others or something!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LHookins said:

THAT... is the difference between giving us information and bashing the sim.

Can you image if someone were to go and start posting in X-plane forums how wonderful MSFS 2020 is and how Lam. and team need to step up and get google earth or something on board. boy on boy lol

• Like 1