Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thad

FSX NOT faster with DX10?

>>>>Wait for DX10, the patch from MS/Aces >>Oh and how much do you know about this 'patch', and where did>you read that one has been promised?>Was it the same scource that has told you how good DX10 will>be?Gee, might it have been in this very thread?"As we've explained several times, DX10 alone isn't going to make FSX faster. We have to release a DX10 update for FSX to take advantage of the DX10 features first. Then you will get both performance improvements and new visual effects.-Brian @ Aces"Your skepticism might be understandable had it (the "promised DX10 update" not been mentioned in this very thread... ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

>Your skepticism might be understandable had it (the "promised>DX10 update" not been mentioned in this very thread... ;)Bill, then tell me why a sim was written with DX9 for a card that nobody has, or knows the potential of?It's a bit hard for us to understand? Why couldn't they just have wrote a great new flightsim for the use of all of us instead of for hardware that dosen't even exist?

Dave Taylor gb.png

>>Your skepticism might be understandable had it (the>"promised>>DX10 update" not been mentioned in this very thread... ;)>>Bill, then tell me why a sim was written with DX9 for a card>that nobody has, or knows the potential of?>>It's a bit hard for us to understand? Why couldn't they just>have wrote a great new flightsim for the use of all of us>instead of for hardware that dosen't even exist?Dave, you've simply dodged the point. You questioned the veracity of the promised DX10 upgrade. I pointed to the "promise" in this very thread.Now, you raise an unrelated question that doesn't even make sense... FSX was written to exploit features of DX9.0c which everyone has. Granted, not everyone's video card can handle the full set of DX9.0c Shaders, but fallbacks are provided for them to use instead.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest BOPrey

Hi Brian,I don't know if you are in the position to answer my questions. It is OK if either you don't know the answers or you can't disclose. Here are my questions.1) Does the DX10 patch use geometric shaders? If it does, will the autogen trees still be relevant as the forest will be done with said shaders instead of placing individual trees. That also mean we can just turn off the generic autogen trees (not custom autogen trees) completely and still see 3D forests.2) Does the DX10 patch use the 'stream out' feature? This is the real performance boost, and it will make DX10 lives up to its expectation. It enables objects sent to the gfx card to be reused. This is a very hugh saving in cpu cycles and pci-e bandwidth.RegardsWai

No they claimed up to 8 times faster! and the video is on gamespot under FSX if you want to watch it......

> Granted, not everyone's video card can handle the full set of DX9.0c Shaders, > but fallbacks are provided for them to use instead.No, your getting confused here. FSX was not developed to use the current shader model 3. It uses SM2, so theres no "fallback" regarding the shaders.

Guest BOPrey

FSX is CPU limited. I reduced the clock on my gfx card by half, nothing changed to the frame rate.

>"All the DX10 hype is basically just wishfull thinking.">>Prove it....And you prove the reverse. The card doesn't exist yet so yes, a lot of wisfull thinking. Michael J.

There's the catch. If they claimed "up to 8 times faster" that means from 0 times to 8 times faster. It's very easy to claim that and it's done all the time. Just pay some attention to the commercial breaks next time you watch TV; "Save up to 50%". In fact they have not promised anything.I would love to see the company stating "you can expect no less than 8 times the performance" or "Save more than 50%"Caveat emptor indeed.Cheers,

>If they claimed "up to 8 times faster" that means from>0 times to 8 times faster. Mats, of course you are right. It is like going walking to a store and seeing a signup to 50% off only to find out that the item you want is not on sale. :-lolMichael J.

Guest Babubhai

I can't prove that there will be a signficant gain in performance with DirectX 10....But you CAN NOT prove this either that there won't be signficant performance gains with DirectX 10!!! Can you?

Do you understand the term "wishful thinking"? I don't think so.Michael J.

>I can't prove that there will be a signficant gain in>performance with DirectX 10....>>But you CAN NOT prove this either that there won't be>signficant performance gains with DirectX 10!!! Can you?>>What in the world are you talking about?? Of course no one can prove either way.By definition, since no one has DX10, it's all wishful thinking. Me playing DX10 game at 100 fps in my dreams only.I don't have a 2008 Ford truck, so it's all wishful thinking, me driving one with 500 hp in my dreams only.Same thing??? RhettAMD 3700+ (@2.5 ghz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (94.47), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8, WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest Ozzie

>Why all the hypothesizing? If you like FSX now and can run it>- play it. If you can't go back to FS9.>>Wait for DX10, the patch from MS/Aces and a compatible>graphics card in the next 6-12 months. If FSX is then not to>your pleasure then you can b*tch and moan. No-one knows what>improvements will be made until this stuff is out there and>being tested!>>Well - I must admit that this is one of the most intelligent replys I have seenIt says it ALL in a nutshell - lets see the proof of the pudding ON THE TABLE - never mind all the Marketing Hype and Baloney - Lets see THE RESULTSUnfortunately there are also some other things to consider - IS Vista the be ALL and END all that the Marketing monolith is leading us to believe - sorry - a little diversion here - I was raised, schooled and lived Most of my life PRE-MARKETING - in fact I dont even like Big Macs - they are cardboard junkfoodAre we to ignore all the various things that are going on around us - like for example the fact that M$ is a convicted monopolist - and is still fighting legal cases in the EU to try and stop them controlling the WorldAre we to ignore the hundreds of sites that point out that Vista is going to perhaps have the ability to TOTALLY DISABLE our computers if it "suspects" that we are running pirates - hang on just one minute there - who is stupid enough to suggest that M$ has EVER produced "bug-free" code - WHAT happens IF M$ decides you have a pirate (define pirate - maybe a song that you downloaded off a P2P) - then what happens when M$ Vista "reports back" to the main site?Do You OR your Parents then have to pay a multi thousand $ fine just to get your computer working again - or WHAT?What happens to ALL the previous pragrams or Games that you have PAID good money for - Will they work - or do you have to buy them again - there are plenty of sites that suggest that you may once again be reaching into your or your parents walletsDo some research - use Google NOT MSN for some strange reason