Sign in to follow this  
Guest Thad

FSX NOT faster with DX10?

I just don't understand how, no matter who said it, anybody would ever believe there would be an across the board increase in speed of 8X from one version to the next. I would be surprised to see a speed increase of 25%.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

The point of the original post appears to have been lost in the usual round of finger pointing. What the tests show (tests with actual DX10 hardware, not vapourware) is that it will not be sufficient to upgrade to the G80 family of video cards to get major performance improvements over what can be achieved currently. You will also need a really fast CPU (perhaps faster even than the best core 2 duo currently available, i.e. OC'd).This means it won't simply be a matter of dropping a new GPU into your system, loading Vista and reaping the rewards. You'll need a high level CPU upgrade as well. I did not expect that, although in retrospect I suppose I should not have been surprised...We'll all just have to wait a week and see if this is true. The G80 cards will be released on November 8.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest Rayed

>Are we to ignore all the various things that are going on>around us - like for example the fact that M$ is a convicted>monopolist - and is still fighting legal cases in the EU to>try and stop them controlling the WorldThey are losing over here.>>Are we to ignore the hundreds of sites that point out that>Vista is going to perhaps have the ability to TOTALLY DISABLE>our computersWHAT>happens IF M$ decides you have a pirate (define pirate - maybe>a song that you downloaded off a P2P) - then what happens when>M$ Vista "reports back" to the main site?I'd not worry about it. It will be cracked and disabled in 10 minutes after release, or even before :). Anyway, there is no way to totally disable your computer without damaging it.>>Do You OR your Parents then have to pay a multi thousand $>fine just to get your computer working again - or WHAT?Nah, I'll just reformat and install Linux in such case:) X-Plane has cars and birds and I get like 50 FPS average on my system. FSX does 16-17 average :).I believe Vista is the beginning of the end of MS as we know it. In other words - a huge mistake they will have to pay for.For sure Vista itself won't make your FSX run faster, on the same hardware it will make it run slower. On first generation DX10 hardware it may make it run faster by 5-10% if ACES release a patch (read - if there is enough sales of FSX to justify funding of development of such patch)But, to be back on topic, I am sorry to say that - FSX runs like crap (ie frame rates are so low (<20) that it's unplayable in many areas, no matter what people say) even on very speedy computers (and I am not talking about some Core2DUO gaming machine with 2Gb of ram, I can run it on xx thousdands dollar worth graphics workstation which was just recently bought). It wasn't the case with FS2004 - you could get it running very nicely on top of the line machines at the day of release.Obviously it is rushed release. Looks like beta compiled without debug option.But the last persons to blame are developers. ACES did great job, just look at new features etc.. It's really nice, well thought out piece of software, just totally not optimized and I strongly doubt there will be a hardware capable of running it at playable level in reasonable future, unless there is a huge optimization patch developed and released in next 6 months.There are way too many factors why games are released pre-maturely, the last factor is devs. Marketing, corporation, shares, budgets, "producers" who do not know anything about game development - they lead the pack.

Thomas,You'd be amazed to see what people can believe if they want to hard enough. And guess what the companies are playing at when advertising? ;-)Cheers,

>This means it won't simply be a matter of dropping a new GPU>into your system, loading Vista and reaping the rewards.>You'll need a high level CPU upgrade as well. I did not expect>that, although in retrospect I suppose I should not have been>surprised...Well, that makes all sense to me. There has been no major revision of the core design of FS (sigh) and FS has always been a CPU hog. Some off-loading will surely happen if you put a DX10 GPU in it. I'd also suspect you'd get some neato features extra but that's about it. For the main hunt of frames, I believe CPU is still the bottle neck.I really wish ACES would have taken the time to redesign from the bottom up. Scrap the backward compatibility and get a modern core.My 2 cents worth

Guest Babubhai

My point is since no one has Directx 10 then its not fair either, to say DirectX 10 won't offer much performance and that it's just wishful thinking.Looking at the original topic, the Directx 10 gpu scored similar in benchmarks to a latest Directx 9 card. Clearly the specs of the NVIDIA 8800 outweigh the NVIDIA 7950 model...So what is limiting the performance? We know that 3Dmark 06 uses directX 9. So, the card is running on DirectX 9 mode.What if the DirectX 10 GPU was tested on a version of 3Dmark designed to run on DirectX 10?

What is limiting performance of the G80 card? The CPU! At least, that's what the tests show. With an oc'd quad core or oc'd core 2 duo, the performance delta implied by the specs of the G80 is certainly there. On a slower CPU it isn't.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals