Sign in to follow this  
Keto Ketchup

Perhaps not all CTDs are Flight Sim's Fault

I do get some random CTDs while playing MFS, though it's really not that bad. Today however, I was loading up a new flight and alt-tabbed over to Firefox to catch up on some browsing. Shortly after MFS crashed out, but at the exact same moment so did Firefox! This makes me think that some of these CTDs are a fault in Windows. AFAIK an application-caused CTD won't take other applications with it.

Just something to think about. If there are issues in Windows (who am I kidding, of course there are), then a complex, demanding program like MFS is more likely to trigger these than your average, everyday simple app.

Of course if you're playing XPlane for a dozen hours with no CTDs and MFS is CTD every hour, then I guess that's another data point to consider... What are your experiences with CTDs?

I know, from event viewer, that many CTDs happen inside Flight Simulator.exe and are memory access faults. Many sorts of bugs can lead to that. I really hope they collect better log info elsewhere.

none here sofar.

my xperience with others  is shortly, quite often the issue is at the user side.

45 minutes ago, Keto Ketchup said:

I was loading up a new flight and alt-tabbed over to Firefox to catch up on some browsing. Shortly after MFS crashed out, but at the exact same moment so did Firefox!

Leaving browsers open in the background has always been a potentially risky business when gaming. It's nothing specific to MSFS or Windows. When the browser refreshes it can steal a lot of system resources.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

22 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Leaving browsers open in the background has always been a potentially risky business when gaming. It's nothing specific to MSFS or Windows. When the browser refreshes it can steal a lot of system resources.

I do this with some other games with no problem, but none of those games are as demanding as FS. I will probably abandon this practice and use my iPad for browsing instead, just to be safe. IIRC some games don't even like to be alt-tabbed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Keto Ketchup said:

Of course if you're playing XPlane for a dozen hours with no CTDs and MFS is CTD every hour, then I guess that's another data point to consider... What are your experiences with CTDs?

I think I must be on a lucky streak..  not only did I get installed first time,  I haven't had to do any tweaking or playing and I have a smooth 30 FPS+ on between High and Ultra and I haven't had a single CTD since I started flying in it and I just broke the 50 hours flying thingy.

Graham

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

My CTDs were because my memory XMP profiles were causing system instability. I had another game randomly crashing as well. I throttled it down and it's all running super smooth with zero ctd. Made a post about it with all the details there. 

Edited by BMWK1200R
Grammer
  • Like 1

My CTD stopped with patch and (a very big AND) MSFS 2020 exposed that my overclock was not stable. I tweaked my overclock, stability tested and so far no more CTD. 

Edited by Taver
  • Like 1

Tim Curtis

MSFS2020, i7-9900k 5.0Ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia 3080, 48" LG OLED CX

I've only had one CTD in 2 weeks, and it was when I tried to use the "travel to" feature, assuming that feature might be bugged, but I haven't tried it again.

otherwise rock solid stable

Just now, Taver said:

My CTD stopped with patch and (a very big AND) MSFS 2020 exposed that my overclock was not stable. I tweaked my overclock, stability tested and so far no more CTD. 

this.  more to overclocking than just changing the multiplier and adding some voltage

I have always looked askance at the reports of CTD's in the sim, as I have had none.

That doesn't make me superior in any way, but what I was always a bit dubious about is that these types of things almost always lead to much fussing about the sim, and people only very rarely seem to ask themselves if maybe there is just something wrong with their computer.

After all, most people are obviously not having the issue.

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

CTD's are very complex issues.  It can be anything from poor hardware settings to faulty hardware just being stressed in a way it has not yet been done before.  it can be a faulty install of a dependency or the fault of the program itself.  There is no magic button they can click to turn off CTD which makes it a frustrating issue to trouble shoot you can't just say "Oh it must be this" and fix it.  I get the frustration of people who are suffering from it and vice versa I can relate to the developers issues trying to figure out how to address it.

• Upvote 1

One thing that worried me is that people are already cramming lottsa stuff into their community folders, not to mention messing around with the CFG.

When troubleshooting, all of that stuff has to go.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

One thing that worried me is that people are already cramming lottsa stuff into their community folders, not to mention messing around with the CFG.

When troubleshooting, all of that stuff has to go.

My sim is stock other than repaints.  I think I have 1 repaint of the Icon and one other one and that's it.  No FSUIPC yet.  No tweaking.  Just set the sliders on high and left them.  

3 hours ago, halobiont said:

Every time I try to edit flight plan details on the G1000 I experience a ctd.

Most of my CTDs not joystick related are from the G1000.  I've learned to plan my flight in the flight planner and leave it alone after.  Doing any kind of direct to or loading an approach seems to cause CTDs for me.  I notice that the G1000 likes to just lock up and not respond for some time, clicking in that case seems to crash as well.  I've learned when it gets into that state to leave it alone and it often comes back.  

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF