Sign in to follow this  
Guest Buck Bolduc

How do I use autopilot with G1000?

I have downloaded the G1000 manuals from Garmin and on the MFD is the autopilot keypad. There isn't a keypad on the FSX G1000 pad and I do not read anything using the autopilot on the G1000 in the learning center. I must be missing something.Thanks,

Go to VC mode and at the bottom right you will see the AP panel.Helmut

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger

Ifishe,I had some problems with the G1000 initially, too. I ended up trying this on a Mooney because there wasnt any way i can go to the larger aircraft using FSX.Anyway, the modeling of the G1000 is not exactly like the real Garmin. This means that you wont get an AP (Autopilot), Glideslope or LOC indicator on the actual G1000. You can, however press Shift 2 and the Autopilot panel pops up so that you can see that AP is selected on, Nav mode, Apr mode etc. When you are trying to come in on a Glideslope there will be no indication that you have locked on except for (I noted) by having the Shift 2 panel up, the lock occurs when you see the Alt light go out.This is a little frustrating really as they included the G1000 but left out a fairly key bit of user feedback by way of the indicators. You can create and load a Flight plan, then press the CDI Softkey 1-3 times on the G1000 until you see GPS indicated there. With the Autopilot panel up (Shift 2) ensure that the AP light is on (press Z if not) and select the Nav mode and your plan should be followed. You can also set the altitude too if you want and press the Alt key to lock in the Altitude. IF you move your mouse cursor over the Autopilot panel altitude VS numbers (VS = Vertical Speed) you can also set the VS to increase or decrease.Approach mode for Glideslope is a little fussy but basically, Press the Proc key on the G1000 and select an Approach Runway to land on then activate that approach using the Ent key. With GPS mode still active the plane will follow the approach path. Once aligned with the runway, say 10 miles out, press the CDI key until LOC is indicated on the G1000, change the CRS key until you have the course for the runway set ok (this can be found on the G1000 or using the Map) and make sure the Autopilot panel is in Nav mode, Apr is selected and you are at the correct Altitude (approx 1600 feet 5 miles out). The Glideslope should be locked when you see the Alt light on the Autopilot go out.Try the other Shift 1 to 9 keys too as they may help. Thats kind of a fast explanation (sorry, time is short) but it should help.Paul

Thanks to both of you I will go try this. It is a bit disappointing when they have all the frills, except not finished. I imagine, and hope, as FSX matures from infancy these minor agitations will be improved upon beyond are imaginations, just as all the previous versions.

The modeling IS exactly like the real Garmin! But it lacks some features! ;) And as I said elsewhere: not all real G1000 have an AP build in, so...To add to Paul's explanation:- you can also set HDG on the G1000 and the AP will follow that heading when in HDG mode.- when you want to fly an ILS, don't forget to enter the right frequency in the NAV1.- pressing the CDI softkey only changes what you see on the G1000 PFD screen: it does not let the aircraft follow NAV or GPS! You have to set that on the appropriate panel of the plane itself. You can be in HDG mode but still watch the GPS needle if you want to, for example.- for the landing you don't have to be in NAV mode. You can also be in HDG mode (reveiving vectors from ATC) or manually fly the plane. Selecting APR will do the trick. It will automatically leave HDG or NAV mode if you have that turned on when it intercepts the Localizer.

The modeling IS exactly like the real Garmin! But it lacks some features! ;) And as I said elsewhere: not all real G1000 have an AP build in, so...To add to Paul's explanation:- you can also set HDG on the G1000 and the AP will follow that heading when in HDG mode.- when you want to fly an ILS, don't forget to enter the right frequency in the NAV1 radio.- pressing the CDI softkey only changes what you see on the G1000 PFD screen: it does not let the aircraft follow NAV or GPS! You have to set that on the appropriate panel of the plane itself. For example, you can be in HDG mode but still watch the GPS needle if you want to, or you can be in GPS mode and still watch the NAV needle to track a VOR (for instance to check if everything is working well).- for the landing you don't have to be in NAV mode. You can also be in HDG mode (reveiving vectors from ATC) or manually fly the plane. Selecting APR will do the trick. It will automatically leave HDG or NAV and/or ALT mode (if you had that turned on when you pressed APR) when it intercepts the Localizer and the Glideslope.EDIT:A small general addition (because I think new pilots are often confused by this): most panels have a NAV/GPS switch. This switch is related to the NAV button on the Autopilot: it tells that NAV mode what source to follow: - when you set the switch to NAV and the AP to NAV, the plane will fly towards a VOR (if you have entered the right frequency in the NAV radio). - when you set the switch to GPS and the AP to NAV the plane will follow the GPS route. So NAV on the AP doesn't always mean you are using the NAV radio! When you set the AP to HDG mode it will follow whatever heading you have set using the heading indicator on the HSI (Horizontal Situation Indicator). EDIT2:This was supposed to be an edit of the previous post... Can one of the mods delete the previous one...?

Guest Buck Bolduc

>The modeling IS exactly like the real Garmin! But it lacks>some features! ;) And as I said elsewhere: not all real G1000>have an AP build in, so...>>To add to Paul's explanation:>>- you can also set HDG on the G1000 and the AP will follow>that heading when in HDG mode.>>- when you want to fly an ILS, don't forget to enter the right>frequency in the NAV1.>>- pressing the CDI softkey only changes what you see on the>G1000 PFD screen: it does not let the aircraft follow NAV or>GPS! You have to set that on the appropriate panel of the>plane itself. You can be in HDG mode but still watch the GPS>needle if you want to, for example.>>- for the landing you don't have to be in NAV mode. You can>also be in HDG mode (reveiving vectors from ATC) or manually>fly the plane. Selecting APR will do the trick. It will>automatically leave HDG or NAV mode if you have that turned on>when it intercepts the Localizer.>I think I read that Reality-XP is writing a G-1000.I used to use the Reality-XP 530 with stock MS aircraft and had great luck. The new version they claim is even better, cross fill etc.I'm sure they will write for FSX.

I know about the Mindstar G1000 (http://www.mindstaraviation.com) but nothing about another... Why doesn't the bloke on that forum just post what he is talking about...? Anyone here knows what other G1000 he is referring too?