Sign in to follow this  

The new things-let's call attention

Seems like it would be fun to note the improvements in fsx. Some are readily apparent and some are very subtle and only come with time.The big ones for me-pitch stability/trim in the Baron (finally), more realistic landing handling (both xwinds, and ground effect),smoother reacting gauges, ability to have no blurries in the scenery, missions (can't wait till people start uploading real world scenerios), shared cockpits, tower in multiplayer, much higher resolution mesh, and near photo quality ground textures. Airports much more detailed and accurate-even my class D airport has my hangar depicted, and an alive world below with cars, boats on lakes-which will doubtless be expanded (already downloaded the migrating whales off of Nova Scotia-pretty cool).Have you noticed that the car traffic on the roads changes depending on the time of day (rush hour more congested).That not only can you take a picture with the "v" key-that when you save a flight-if you took a picture-a nice shot will come up when you click load your saved flight?That the runways covered with snow actually get slippery!That in the opening screen-if you don't click to load-it loads in the background.That icing is modelled better?The vc's not only are smoother, but look better-and this with the combination of snap views has finally made me a 3d convert (I personally love the glass reflections -now we need virtual bugs on the windshield like real life).Anyway-feel free to add to some of the improvements-there are lots. It is the improvements that keep me glued to this sim.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

I know I havent been the biggest cheerleader for this sim but I do like the new 2D cockpits as well, they are far better than the default aircraft of before. I am especially liking the 737 pit and VC. Very nice work. Also the Extra cocpkpit is really nice. Superb artwork. I also like the head movement. Although a little overdone, it's a nice improvement in realism for me.There.....phew..that wasnt too hard to do! :)Hornit

Guest FxF3

I'm with you on the VC the look great on the Heavies. I like the new UL also the way the wind can toss it around. Of couse when the Photoreal scenery is clicking its amazing. The new coptors are great to I can actual fly this one.:-) Just to much good stuff for me to go back to FS9 full time. I still have it on my hard drive so I can take a quick spin if I want with its fast load time but its more and more FSX 4 me.

Hi GeofaThis is a good thread. Because, if I am to update my machine at some considerable expense, I would like to know just what the new Sim will do for me that I am not currently getting. I like the idea of the missions as I have always thought that the adventures in past versions were under utilised. Better scenery is always good - I don't really need better default a/c because I can get those from 3rd party addons - but they are still OK to have. I would like better looking coastlines - any comments about these. Also better looking rivers - where the rivers don't go uphill(they do in FS2004 with addon mesh) Thanks Barry

I primarily fly in the US-from what I have seen you may get uneven results depending where you fly in the world. I like the rivers (now multi colored-green/blue/transition areas) . Landclass needs lots of work but the add ons will come for that.A few others improvements -the world is now round, stars look incredible, more smoke coming from default factories, more lighting effects(I like the clouds reflecting in the water), aircraft outside views much more detailed down to the rivets (love the chromed spinner on the Baron)...http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Overall the terrain, and coastlines are much improved most places. There are a few areas without as much new data but overall its a big jump in detail here. There is a vast improvement in the rivers and terrain. I dont think you see rivers or streams going up and down hillsides now at all.Hornit

Guest The_Pharoah

excellen thread. Yes to the above however I also really enjoy the:- head movement. its subtle but adds a diff perspective.- helicopter flight cfg - I can actually land the chopper now! (got the 'land on the yacht' mission first time). Absolutely LOVE the Jetranger.- inbuilt contrails and how they've redone the jet trails at altitude (ie. no more white line with smoke around it!)- new flight config files. It really feels like you're 'floating' sometimes ie. little bumps, etc.- redesigned taxi ways and a/c aprons. (btw, does anyone know how to activate the jetways?)Thats it for the time being.

Guest OneTinSoldier

How about the fact that, for the first time ever...The SDK was released at the same time as the Sim!!Yeah, I love the road traffic that Geof mentioned. :)And how about the dynamic airport vehicles, cool! If you can afford to have them enabled anyway. After installing MyTraffic X I disabled them. Prior to that I could only afford to have them set on low.Hornit,Sorry, but I have to disagree about an improvement with 2D Cockpits, at least as far as the cold shoulder that 2D Cockpit developers have been given. See my sig. And as edetroit had in his sig for a little bit not long ago, 2D Cockpit developers are gonna love FSX... NOT!Cheers guys,Jim

Guest Vilk

and how about......the oil patches on the apron! wooo-hooo! :-lol...you can finally squat...12 fps are milky smooth...the A key in VC (no need to barrel-roll to flip light switches)...tires get wet (or am i dreaming?)...windswept dust/snow wake (anyone seen wingtip vortices yet?)...radio frequencies have effect on comms in multiplayer...the water! people, the WATER!...gliders (sorry, i'm addicted now)...haven't found that baby elephant yet! :-(

I still can't get enough of the water and the dense autogen, can't wait till I can max it out.I also like the new head movement, especially neat when in a warbird, it gives a great sense of power. Plus the zoom is more reailistc and not as fisheyed like in FS9As Jim pointed out, the SDKs up front are great as well.Seeing ground vehicles moving around the airports is a big plus also.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

>...haven't found that baby elephant yet! :-(Dude, I've found him 5 times already, LOL That is a neat mission.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest rmce

I agree to all this!Fs9 is now heading to my back up drive.Elephant is fun!Imagine having 'fun'!!

Guest OneTinSoldier

Anyone on here that's able to check 'Advanced Animations' notice something that may not be totally new, but I think it's so improved that it might as well be called new...Wing Flex! Check out the wing flex, on the glider especially. Woohoo!The dynamics of it have to be seen in-sim to be appreciated of course ;), but here's a little pic during a takeoff rollout.Cheers,Jimhttp://home.comcast.net/~linuxrh/2006-10-28_10-20-45-140.jpg

- popupwindows (radiostack, lights, levers, etc) SNAP to the side of the screen (it's such a SMALL thing but I really love that!)- new ATC window (with history)- Ultralight- G1000- G1000- G1000(Yes, I really like the G1000!!!)And of course all the things that are already mentioned. :)

Most of the above and:- ability to have multiple control .xml files for yokes, joysticks and asssorted hardware. Finally! - weather is beautiful, somehow lighting and sky color make it much more real. - Turbulence! Thermals! And yes, I've seen wingtip vortices :)And birds in Seattle docksRegards,Jure