Sign in to follow this  

The new things-let's call attention

Not sure if this was done in FS9, but I never saw it.External graphical representation of engine fires when a failure is set - looks very good and very scary - but must say those engines are built to last - 30 mins on fire - and no fire spread and wings still attached - if only that was true for real world.Is that Cessna pilot blinking at me or do I need more sleep.This sim may be tough on Hardware, but boy does it have a future in my opinion.Cheers Roger - EGPF

Guest Ozzie

Sorry too much - are you referring to mythical hypothetical Improvements OR continued Nobbling to achieve anything

Guest allcott

The biggest single gain from the `tweaking` perspective is the ability to save and call up different configs for different styles and types of flying. Lawd knose how much time would have been wasted if you had to reboot the sim to see the changes like before. The Missions concept opens a whole new chapter in addons and the potential for future growth. Conditional animations are a major step forward - its not that the wings flex, it's that they flex the way they are supposed to, when airflow, g-force and environment impact upon them. The improvements in the FDE are no hypothetical improvement - try gliding in any previous version of the franchise. Or landing a helicopter. I also like the way the 3d cockpits have been integrated, and the way the instruments retain their clarity even when zoomed in.And the higher resolution textures have opened a new door in simming, one which will be exploited by the aftermarket with amazing results, I am sure.In time, and with patching, I am sure that FSX will evolve into the de facto standard of sims, but there is currently a shortfall in the hardware to run it, and the sim shows signs of having been rushed to market at several points. But even if the improvements above were the only ones, they could NOT be applied retrospectively to FS9, so in plain and simple terms FSX is an advance on anything that went before. So yes, there are many positives. Allcott

Not sure if it was mentioned but being able to lock on a view via a menu is a nice touch.Ground handling is much better.Wet runways.Overall atmosphere seems improved.Everything listed in previous posts.Loads the starting screen into a window, helpful if running other apps.Turbulence is much better.Defualt mesh is much better. Taking a flight from my closest airport 40N to KRDG is much more realistic. FS9 was good, FSX is better.When you see all the listed improvements and changes it certainly makes you think how much of an improvement it really is.Performance is an issue on my low end machine but I'm having fun and that's all that matters to me. FS9 was great for 3 years, I'm hoping FSX will be better for the next three. So far so good.Good to see a nice thread for once.Ian.

I can fly all default aircraft, Milton Shupe's Beech 18, all of the Real Air aircraft from the VC at a steady 18fps(rural areas). Very smooth. The gauge update rate is excellent. In comparison to FS9, there were very few aircraft I cared to fly from the VC. Either the frame rate was very low or the gauges step changed. A wonderful improvement.Bob...

Guest gulfstreamg100

I like all that you guys have posted here LOL. night flying...love it in FSX...the stars, the moon, the water reflections....The curvature of Earth, looks awesome!...You know, i think ACES has achieved an incredible sense of flying out of a PC-based simulator, thats quite an achievement! love FSX, great thread :-) Best Regards

Guest JohnEGPF

1:1m+ textures2:The new 5.1 sound system.3:The liquid smooth feeling of flight, and If you enable winds aloft with RW you have to provide control inputs to keep the aicraft doing what you want it do.4:Although the default aircraft still seem to be as pitch sensitive as fs9, you can now trim them for stable pitch and attitude control, especially in the descent phase of the flight.5:I'm still using the demo:)John

Guest FxF3

Did anybody mention the trees. I love the trees we have trees of all kinds its amazing how much it brings the Sim alive for Bush flyers.That was my one big beef with FS9 how all the trees were just planted nere rowed or lines up no real forest. We have it now.Oh and like has been said the G1000 the G1000 the G1000 you really got to try it.:) After looking at FSX planes there really should be no worries about addon payway aircraft dragging the FPS down.

Guest robav13

HORNIT: You can adjust the head movement under the "DynamicHeadMovement" section of the FSX.cfg. I cut them all in half and it gives nice head movement without being quite so overboard as the default.My personal improvement is the VC. I tried VC a few times in FS9 and I just couldn't get to like it. With FSX it didn't take me long to get converted over to it. That could be more a personal thing rather than an improvement. I do hate the fact that the yoke in the VC seems to cover key guages and switches in a bunch of aircraft.FSX isn't perfect, but all the little things mentioned in this thread are what keep me working away at it.Robert>I know I havent been the biggest cheerleader for this sim but>I do like the new 2D cockpits as well, they are far better>than the default aircraft of before. I am especially liking>the 737 pit and VC. Very nice work. Also the Extra cocpkpit is>really nice. Superb artwork.>> I also like the head movement. Although a little overdone,>it's a nice improvement in realism for me.>>There.....phew..that wasnt too hard to do! :)>>Hornit

Seems like it would be fun to note the improvements in fsx.Nice to see such a positive post for a change. I was seriously getting tired of "The glass is halfempty" attitude re: FSX.There are numerous improvements and I personally am enjoying them alland they've all been mentioned here.Hope the "trollwall" is up and running.Craig

I'm loving the winter flights. I live in Quebec and I know winter, and the FSX winter looks five-star. The heavy snow weather is great and the wet rumways during a blizzard look really good.

Guest wyoming

of why I flew Fly! as far as immersion and general atmosphere. I get these occasional same little moments of "being there".I don't know much about heavies, but GA aircrafts are way more realistic as far as dynamics.If you ask me, this is the very last edition of "traditional" simulations. The next ones will be 3D flying through actual satellite views and/or virtual environments such as http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/v...nfinite/?Page=2In the mean time, and in spite of the many improvements/add-ons (e.g. landclass libraries, night lights, clouds limits, stretching of textures on steep slopes), that's just the best there is.