Sign in to follow this  

The new things-let's call attention

I like having birds and traffic in this sim, some developer will probably expand upon this featyure a little more at some point, hopefully to the point where we can have birds hanging out at the end of the runway or whatever and have them fly away when they hear the engines of the plane. I'm sure also that more types of vehicles will be added, I'll say it again, really nice to have road traffic, adds a little more realism. Good post Geofa.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

I'll second the traffic. Took off from my home airport 40N and loved the traffic moving down route 30, then flying south to the Chesapeake and seeing sailboats and motorboats moving around on the wonderful water textures was well worth all the pain of a new release.Ian.

Well, I made the jump from FS2002 to FSX and I am pretty much impressed with everything. Flying VOR to VOR (and VOR Approaches and ILS landings) in the Cessna is a BLAST! Actually, can't see why there is so much complaining, guess I am one of the lucky ones! It runs pretty good on my PC and it is not top of the line.Flt300zPentium D 3.0 Ghz1.5 GB memoryATI X600 GraphicsDell 19Inch FP Monitor160 GB SATA Disk

Guest KrazyIvan

Just the overall 'feel' to the smaller airports. Airports have a much better environmental feel to them now...you're not just at the same cookie-cutter place in 20 different states. Roads, traffic, forest...short final can be a joy.

Guest WindBeneathMyWings

>Seems like it would be fun to note the improvements in fsx.>Some are readily apparent and some are very subtle and only>come with time.>>The big ones for me-pitch stability/trim in the Baron>(finally), more realistic landing handling (both xwinds, and>ground effect),smoother reacting gauges, ability to have no>blurries in the scenery, missions (can't wait till people>start uploading real world scenerios), shared cockpits, tower>in multiplayer, much higher resolution mesh, and near photo>quality ground textures. Airports much more detailed and>accurate-even my class D airport has my hangar depicted, and>an alive world below with cars, boats on lakes-which will>doubtless be expanded (already downloaded the migrating whales>off of Nova Scotia-pretty cool).>>>Have you noticed that the car traffic on the roads changes>depending on the time of day (rush hour more congested).>>That not only can you take a picture with the "v" key-that>when you save a flight-if you took a picture-a nice shot will>come up when you click load your saved flight?>>That the runways covered with snow actually get slippery!>>That in the opening screen-if you don't click to load-it loads>in the background.>>That icing is modelled better?>>The vc's not only are smoother, but look better-and this with>the combination of snap views has finally made me a 3d convert> (I personally love the glass reflections -now we need virtual>bugs on the windshield like real life).>>Anyway-feel free to add to some of the improvements-there are>lots. It is the improvements that keep me glued to this sim.>>>>>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg Hello, Alright icing is modelled better runways covered with snow actually get slippery!!!!!!!!! That is the best news I have heard yet. I may start leaning towards the direction then. Think I am gonna wait for VISTA first then take the plunge. Sincerely, Josh

Absolutely love this topic!I guess for me it's the overall feel, it's hard for me to quantify exactly what it is I love about it.Having said that, the missions are top notch and I'll be sad when I finish them all. The regional accents add so much and I'm sure developers will have an absolute ball developing the mission concept further.Also love the extended detail visibility even though I fly mostly in the UK and have visibility set to 10-20 miles by default.Looking forward to the day my AI and autgoen trees can be all the way over to the right but even now I'm enjoying the improvements by accepting some frame rate loss.I dunno, I read all the negativity on this board and wow, some people sound just like the Pro Evolution Soccer 6 whiners on the Xbox360 forum! In fact, there are certain names, probably around five people, who, when I see they've posted in a thread, cause my spirits to sink. See, if you've spent

Guest rmce

Well said.I am now hitting frame rate issues, with sliders to the right....so, I take them back to where they were in middle, and all is OK.I only have a 2.4 2MB Geforce 5700, so what can I exoect?Wht I am getting, is way ahead of Fs9. Active sky is fine, and my only add in.We move on and up, and I am sure I will upgrade in near future.Its what we do....We enjoy our sim.I am UK based and love the increase of real buildings landmarks all over the place.

Guest david W.

The new view keys are another huge improvement.Previously, you had to cycle through several views all dumped onto the

Guest aafuss

I like the new ATC window better than the FS2004 versionWing flexThe A321 and the GooseBaggage and fuel trucks

>The locked spot view on the other hand freezes dead still as>it should when the sim is paused/unpaused, and it is also nice>and stable when panning around. This is how it should be.Ah, so THAT's why it's called a locked view...! I always skipped it because I thought it was locked and you couldn't do anything with it... But 'locked' in this case means the irritating unwanted movements are gone! Great! I'm going to use this one instead of the 'normal' spot view then! Thx for the tip! ;)

Guest Jimbofly

Initially I was a bit put off by the low framerates with autogen on, but now I just have autogen off and scenery complexity on medium and I'm LOVING the new sim! I have mesh complexity at 100%, resolution (mesh and texture) at 1m, and the visuals just seem to get better and better the more I play.I love the missions, MS did a first class job as far as I'm concerned, although I do wish they added a carrier landing one.The soaring in FSX needs to be experienced to be believed. I've soared a fair bit in real life and FSX really models it exceptionally well. The dynamic wing flexing in the glider is amazing, as well as in some of the other aircraft like the 747.The sky, the water, the feel of flight. I could just go on and on. I'm hooked!James

Guest tdragger

Well, since you asked. Here are a couple of my favorites, near and dear to my heart since I worked on them...1. New camera system. As pointed out, not only can you assign F9-F12 views but you can assign up to 10 of your favorites to any key/button. Plus, if you like cycling with S and A but don't care for one or two views you can remove them from the order. See the SDK for details. 2. Aircraft cameras. Easily add new VC and external views to any aircraft CFG file.3. Fixed cameras. Place a camera at any lat/lon/alt. Great for things like "Space Needle Cam".4. Flight-specific cameras. Place camera definitions in a .FLT file and load them with the flight.5. Facilities briefing. Click on a facility in the map dialog and get information on frequencies, runways, a map overlay and weather. Click Print to print out a datasheet to keep with you on your flight.6. Drag-and-drop waypoint editing in the flight planner. Click the Details button to give waypoints a custom name. Modify the LineWidth value in the 'FlightPlanMap' section of FSX.CFG if the default is too small.7. CSS-based HTML. Don't like the default formatting of the nav log, keyboard reference, or kneeboard radio log? Just edit the .CSS files in the UIRES folder.8. Integrate screenshot function and built-in screen viewer. Just wish we had time to add JPEG support.9. Aircraft thumbnail viewer. Don't like the default thumbnail size? Just add a line to the 'USERINTERFACE' section of FSX.CFG to control width, height and margins: SelectAircraftThumbSize=256,128,10,10 (This also works with RewardThumbSize and PhotoThumbSize)10. Multiple visibility layers. Available through the Advanced Weather dialog.11. Weather station and conditions display in map views. Hover over a station for a tooltip with complete info.12. Save and Load multiple configs. Mentioned a lot already. 'nough said.

>you can assign up to 10 of your favorites to>any key/button.You gotta be kidding! I really got to read that SDK file about camera's again... So I can use for instance all numberkeys (above qwerty) for views...? Makes me wonder why there aren't view programmed there by default! But this sounds cool: no more finger stretching (shift-7....). >5. Facilities briefing. Click on a facility in the map dialog>and get information on frequencies, runways, a map overlay and>weather. Click Print to print out a datasheet to keep with you>on your flight.Yeah, like that too. >6. Drag-and-drop waypoint editing in the flight planner. Click>the Details button to give waypoints a custom name. Modify the>LineWidth value in the 'FlightPlanMap' section of FSX.CFG if>the default is too small.One more I didn't know. I was already satisfied with the planner (one of the happy few... ;)) but this makes it even better! Just tried it and it works indeed! (Not that I didn't believe you, of course........ ;))