Sign in to follow this  
DBlackmore

Graphics Card Requirements for FS 2020

Hi folks. Is anyone else having running FS 2020 on a computer without a dedicated graphics card with Video RAM, as Microsoft recommends? If so, have you experienced issues with extremely long load times and extreme lag on the home screen? I'm trying to narrow down the possible culprits for these symptoms, so that I can rectify them and get flying ASAP. My computer meets all of the recommended specifications except for having a separate graphics card and Video RAM. Thanks in advance for the help!

I would say maybe a 1650 Super at MINIMUM it has slightly better performance then a 970 which is the minimum requirement... ideally the higher you can go up the stack the better so a 1660 Super etc. I mean you can obviously go older and lower but of the current crop of video cards that is as low as I would go.  I have a Radeon RX Vega M GL in my laptop which is like a 1050 and it can run at medium at 25fps in my tests but if I was buying a new card I would want better performance.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DBlackmore said:

If yes, what is the bare minimum I'd need and what would you recommend?

Try this:

Theoretically, RTX 3070 has 43% more compute power than the RTX 2080 Ti, for both the CUDA cores and Tensor cores. It also has 18% more ray tracing performance. And it does that while using 12% less power, at less than half the cost.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

12 minutes ago, DBlackmore said:

If yes, what is the bare minimum I'd need and what would you recommend?

Is your bare minimum based on price? If so it’s probably better to give us your budget and we can better advise... Right now isn’t a bad time for looking at used graphics cards but a month from now the used market is going to sky rocket with great bargains

Are we talking about adding a GPU to the system that is in the OP's signature? If so that's a Dell Optiplex 9010 and starting to look at stuff such as RTX 3070 is jumping the gun somewhat. How big is the tower? How big is the power supply?

Just now, DBlackmore said:

Looking for a card under CAD $350.

Hold your horses, 30 minutes ago you didn't know what a GPU was. Someone might recommend a card at that price but it might be useless to you.

Is the computer you want to add a GPU to the one in your signature, the Dell Optiplex 9010?

2 minutes ago, DBlackmore said:

DPSimulation, yes it is an Optiplex 9010.

They come in various flavours though. 😄

Is it a minitower? Big tower? What is the power supply?

All questions that need answering really, the first two might restrict the physical size of the GPU you can purchase and the latter could determine whether or not it's up to the job of supporting the GPU. I don't want to see you spending $350 on a doorstop!

Edited by DPSimulation
  • Like 1

I am currently running FS2020 on a dated but still somewhat okay I7 4770K processor and an old GTX650 2GB video card and amazingly FS2020 is playable.  Without weather turned on and doing flying in the midwest USA without a lot of lakes or scenery it actually performs acceptable minus some micro stuttering which seems to be happening even on high end machines.  In big cities it ranges from barely flyable to not flyable at all.  

I was going to get a new system but I am not really satisfied with the price/performance level of what is currently on the market.  Even hardware seems a bit high at the moment considering I built my current rig back in 2013 with $800 in parts and at the time was one step away from being high end.  

As a stop gap measure I decided to upgrade my current system with a GTX1660 6GB video card and I am going to throw in 32GB of RAM up from 8GB.  This should get me through this time next year when the hardware is better and hopefully more reasonable prices and FS2020 has had time to mature.  At that time I will buy or build a new system with honors but right now I think it would be expensive and lead to disappointment unless you go all in with the latest hardware! 

52 minutes ago, DBlackmore said:

DPSimulation, yes it is an Optiplex 9010.

I know from experience that the default power supply off the Optiplex 9010 is very limited, only 250-275W. it also lacks a PCIe power connector, so a GTX 1650 is probably the best you can do.
I remember these systems only had a dual core CPU. Did you upgrade the CPU to a quad core, as in your specs? That might give you even less headroom concerning the power supply.

Edited by orchestra_nl
  • Like 2

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

orchestra_nl is right in saying the power supply is limited to around 250W. I have the tower Optiplex 9010 (second largest case I believe). I'm going to a local PC builder later today. They recommended a Nvidia 1650 as minimum and a Nvidia 1660 Super as the best for a reasonable price. They said I might need a new case and that I will need  anew power supply if I keep my current case.