Sign in to follow this  
DRF30q

C152X Realism Mod

It seems that I can'get the engine started with this mod. ctrl-e does the trick, but even after starting it with ctrl-e, when I kill the mixture and try to start the engine again it doesn't catch.
Is it something I am doing wrong?

I am using these settings:

• Fuel valve open
  • Throttle cracked
  • Mixture full

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Try starting with control-E and see what the controls do.  Pay close attention to the mixture lever.  During auto start the mixture lever will pull out a bit.  Let the plane run for a while with that mixture setting, then push the mixture lever all the way in and see if it keeps running or eventually dies.

There are some wonky things going on with the mixture processing.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

1 hour ago, LHookins said:

Try starting with control-E and see what the controls do.  Pay close attention to the mixture lever.  During auto start the mixture lever will pull out a bit.  Let the plane run for a while with that mixture setting, then push the mixture lever all the way in and see if it keeps running or eventually dies.

There are some wonky things going on with the mixture processing.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Hook

The mixture lever pulls out to 91%, but even with that setting it doesn't start. I noticed though that the red warning light below my ammeter is lit. Still, the starter motor keeps on turning the engine, it just doesn't catch.
If I start the engine with ctrl e, the warning light goes off. I left the engine running (with alternator ON off course) for a while to charge the battery but that doesn't help. As soon as I shutoff the engine that light goes back on.
The Repair and Refuel option doesn't solve this, as I hoped it would.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

It seems that I can'get the engine started with this mod. ctrl-e does the trick, but even after starting it with ctrl-e, when I kill the mixture and try to start the engine again it doesn't catch.

• Fuel valve open
  • Throttle cracked
  • Mixture full

Same. CTRL-E is the only way. So, for realism, I follow all the steps and right after I turn the key I hit CTRL-E. LOL

• Like 2

Eddie
KABQ

3 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

• Fuel valve open
  • Throttle cracked
  • Mixture full

Just FYI I had same thing and I found out this: how do you toggle the ignition? With the mouse over it ?if you use the scroll up then it won't start. I guess its simply not enough time at the start position. 

Instead you use the mouse key and hold at the start position for about 2 seconds. That should do it.

Edited by roi1862
  • Like 1

Roi Ben

5 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

Just FYI I had same thing and I found out this: how do you toggle the ignition? With the mouse over it ?if you use the scroll up then it won't start. I guess its simply not enough time at the start position. 

Instead you use the mouse key and hold at the start position for about 2 seconds. That should do it.

I actually have a panel with a key. I can hold it for 30 seconds and it just keeps cranking. I’ll mess around with the mixture a bit and see if that helps. 

Eddie
KABQ

3 minutes ago, roi1862 said:

I use the mouse wheel indeed. Next time I'll try the mousebutton. I'll report back what happens.

Flightsim rig:

I have the same issue with the C152 mod. The starter only works when operated with the mouse button. Holding a key or joystick button (even with "repeat while pressed" in FSUIPC) doesn't help.

Works fine with a joystick button without the mod.

Edited by RALF9636

I just tested as well. Without the mod, it doesn't matter whether I use the mousewheel or the mousebutton to start the engine. With the mod, only the mousebutton will start the engine.

Flightsim rig:

Trying to understand and hopefully help find a solution for the hardware / starting issues that only some people are having.   

For realism, I have modified the behaviour in the mod so that a momentary use of a joystick button will not be sufficient to start the engine, you will need to hold it for a short while to get the engine to start.   (This is not the case at the moment with the mousebutton.  Activating the starter with the mousebutton, one click is sufficient.)

The joystick I am using (fairly old Saitek Yoke/Quadrant) I have programmed one of the up/down (normally off) buttons for Increase Magneto 1 / Decrease Magneto 1.  This operates the Magneto/Starter switch and if I move to the 'Start' position and hold the button down, the starter remains held.  As the hardware input only occurs when the button(s) are pressed, it is still possible to separately control the switch with the mouse if desired. 

For people that are having issues, I am not sure how their devices are programmed - increase/decrease (as indicated above) or an absolute position: Magneto 1 Off, Magneto 1 Left etc, Magneto 1 Start etc.  I also don't know how the device is setup with respect to holding the command while the button is depressed or a momentary action etc. 

Because all the 'default' aircraft will start with a momentary flick of the start switch, possibly some hardware devices may have been set up (and tested to work) using only a momentary input.?  With this realism improvement in place, this momentary input is no longer sufficient.

I have no experience with other devices, but I have seen elsewhere that some people may have had some success in reconfiguring their hardware to get this to work. 

• Like 1

New update V0.15 available:

- ADF Radio completely revised Knob behaviour. ADF Modes: BFO/REC/ADF and spring return TEST position.

- ADF Rotatable Card gauge behaviour completely revised:

- ADF Needle is driven to point to the selected NDB station only in ADF Mode. (Note that currently the ADF Mode Knob defaults to BFO Mode and must be manually rotated to ADF Mode.)

- ADF Needle remains in current position in ADF Mode when no signal received from an NDB on the currently selected frequency.

- ADF Needle remains in current position in BFO and REC Modes.

- ADF Needle is slewed in a clockwise direction while ADF Mode Knob held in TEST position. When released, the ADF Mode Knob spring returns to ADF Mode.

- ADF Needle remains in current position when ADF Radio is turned off using the Volume/Off knob.

- ADF Needle remains in current position if battery discharges and voltage level to the radio drops below the minimum required for operation.

- Internal naming of the Mod aircraft is reverted back to the default. The Flight Training lessons are now selectable again. Haven’t tested them, but hope they work ok now.

Edited by DRF30q
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DRF30q said:

Trying to understand and hopefully help find a solution for the hardware / starting issues that only some people are having.   

For realism, I have modified the behaviour in the mod so that a momentary use of a joystick button will not be sufficient to start the engine, you will need to hold it for a short while to get the engine to start.   (This is not the case at the moment with the mousebutton.  Activating the starter with the mousebutton, one click is sufficient.)

Thanks for the clarification.

I had the dedicated "always on" magneto switch of the Honeycomb Alpha assigned to "All Eng start" via Linda. Even assigning this to "on repeat" didn't help. It didn't keep the starter pressed but continuously sent short presses.

Now I have assigned "All Eng Magneto Inc" to "on repeat" in Linda - and now it starts fine.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Also cannot start using the alpha yoke key anymore - shame.

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir