Sign in to follow this  
regis9

What am I limited by (CPU/GPU)?

Hello, since building my new system I’ve seen that  my CPU utilization is generally 30%-40%, GPU is low 50%, Ram is low 50%.  I observed this last night while FPS was high 50’s low 60’s.

I’m perfectly happy with my performance, and this is more curiosity than anything, but what is limiting me based on this information?  Neither the GPU or CPU seem the be getting intensely used or at least used in any way that approaches a bottleneck, so what keeping them from being pushed harder and then (I assume) having my FPS increase further?  

Thanks,

Dave

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

If your GPU isn't at 100% load then it's likely the CPU if you're playing with an unlocked frame rate. Make sure to check the individual CPU core usage as well.

Based on your results I presume you're playing at 1080p and the highest settings. Unfortunately it seems there is no CPU right now that can consistently pull of 60+ FPS at the highest settings, and the RTX 2080 Ti seems to be getting truly limited only at 1440p and 2160p resolutions.

2 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

If your GPU isn't at 100% load then it's likely the CPU if you're playing with an unlocked frame rate. Make sure to check the individual CPU core usage as well.

Based on your results I presume you're playing at 1080p and the highest settings. Unfortunately it seems there is no CPU right now that can consistently pull of 60+ FPS at the highest settings, and the RTX 2080 Ti seems to be getting truly limited only at 1440p and 2160p resolutions.

What's a good locked framerate setting?

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

1 minute ago, Dillon said:

Not everyone agrees, but I have my fps limited via RTSS x/2 scanline sync, which on my 60Hz monitor, delivers a nice steady 30 fps.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Bert

On my R9 3900X / 2080 Super / 64 GB RAM system I'm getting 98% GPU utilization, 40-60% CPU utilization on the first 6 cores, 0-15% on the 6 remaining cores, and 30% RAM utilization (19 GB). Limited to 60 fps on a 3440x1440p resolution at mostly Ultra.

Edited by Republic3D
correction

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

If you go into developer mode in the general menu I think, you will get a lot of data re GPU/CPU.

In complex areas, I am CPU limited Ryzen 3600. Otherwise I am limited by GPU 1060.

Edited by ronmarks

Ron Marks

CP ASMEL CFI A&P

10 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Hello, since building my new system I’ve seen that  my CPU utilization is generally 30%-40%, GPU is low 50%, Ram is low 50%.  I observed this last night while FPS was high 50’s low 60’s.

I’m perfectly happy with my performance, and this is more curiosity than anything, but what is limiting me based on this information?  Neither the GPU or CPU seem the be getting intensely used or at least used in any way that approaches a bottleneck, so what keeping them from being pushed harder and then (I assume) having my FPS increase further?  

Thanks,

Dave

Unlike a lot of previous sims, this one appears (and I say that only a few days into this) to benefit from having a system that is balanced on both CPU and GPU so the workload is spread evenly.  Otherwise you seem to get CPU choke if the GPU is too powerful or Vice-Versa.  (And this was a stated aim early on..  balance in all things 🙂  )

There was a great post on the MS forums, detailing what impacts CPU and what impcts GPU..  it may prove useful so you can slowly build up your usage for best results.  I certainly used it on mine to increase CPU and GPU a litttle without choking either and maintaining smooth performance.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-8-18-2020/132407

Graham

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

2 minutes ago, Dillon said:

This is something that you can only answer yourself, as not everyone is satisfied with the same frame rate. It is advised to at least use frame rates that can multiply to your monitor's refresh rate in order to prevent judder. For a 60Hz monitor, that would be 60, 30, 20, 15 FPS and so on.

If you have a VRR monitor then anything in its dynamic range should be enough if you want a consistent frame rate.

I have my 60Hz monitor set to 30 Hz. Sim is locked to 60fps inside MSFS with vsync on. This gives me a smooth fps with moth settings at ultra w/4k, When I didn't have it locked and the monitor was set to 60Hz, I was getting in the mid 40's to mid 50's but it wasn't smooth at all.

2k didn't look very good on my cheap 4k monitor.

MSFS seems to be reporting that I am GPU limited, which is expected. Can't wait to see what the new cards can do.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Thanks guys.  I found anything lower than 60 degrades my performance.  So like someone said above only the individual can answer as to what works best for them.  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

so I'm GPU limited (as expected), running @1440P mixture of High and Ultra and getting about 30-40FPS - flying GA over Europe mostly. My CPU is running at mid 20's or less usage. Ram 14-27GB (16 to 20GB mostly)

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Thanks, I’ll try loading up the developer mode and see what it says.  I’ll also check I divide all core.  

I’m running 1440p on Ultra preset with unlimited frames (again not complaining about my performance and probably won't change anything, really just curious).

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

Thanks guys.  I found anything lower than 60 degrades my performance.  So like someone said above only the individual can answer as to what works best for them.  

If you are using the in-game limiter, that's bugged and it decreases performance more than it should. I recommend using MSI Afterburner to limit your frame rate.