Sign in to follow this  
dyl55

expedite descent

Hey everyone, 

Maybe a noob question but I am learning to fly with a liner 

Is there a way with the a320 to expedite descent ? For example ATC asked me to descent from 16000 to 9000, I change the AP altitude and push the button to engage, the plane started to descend but very slowy even if I manually set a VS to 2000 it keep descending very slowly which result in an angry ATC asking me every time to expedite the descent 

Thanks for your help 🙂

If I remember right, the real airbus has the XPED button. It basically put the plane in flight level change and throttles to idle which gives you the max descent rate at the time. In other jets, it's just the plain old flight level change button that does the same thing. In the Gulfstreams I fly, if the change was 6000ft or less, it would keep the throttle up a little giving a less aggressive descent. If I am told by ATC to expedite, I would use flight level change/vert speed with the speed brakes eased out. If FLC, ease the brakes until I get the descent I want or vert in a descent speed with 2500 per minute or more. All by your preference.

1 minute ago, dyl55 said:

Well I did 3 before 2 don't know if this is the problem ?

In the real world, some jets will not indicate a vert speed to select unless you hit the V/S button first. When you select V/S it will default to your current V/S or show 0000 if you are level.

On 9/4/2020 at 3:52 PM, Tuskin38 said:

The A320N has a EXPDT button in the sim, but is Inop.

THIS ✔️. You are relegated to managed mode unfortunately and the only other option is to switch to selected Altitude and manage the vertical speed yourself. Unfortunately this plane likes to level off before it engages in the Vertical speed you selected. Hopefully the project that is updating this airplane can eventually get to fly properly as well as enable the EXPDT button. 

Basically because the instructions are given too late, and between the time that the (slow talking) ATC gave you the instruction and the time you setup the AP by keeping the mouse on the EXACT pixel that activates the v/s wheel, you are already outside of the expected glide slope.

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

On 9/4/2020 at 9:01 PM, dyl55 said:

Is there a way with the a320 to expedite descent ?

I had this problem too. This is how I worked around it. Mind you, I‘m no expert.

1. MSFS seems to generate flight plans with too steep descents at times. I always check them carefully before I hit „fly“. To make sure the descent is feasible, I use an online descent calculator (apparently it‘s easy to calculate it yourself but I‘m too lazy to even try). Particularly after „decel“ the autopilot seems to descend very slowly (is that normal?), so I make sure I‘m already low enough at that point.

2. Sometimes ATC instructs you to descend too late. In such cases I ignore it and stick to my flight plan.

3. I had the problem that the autopilot wouldn‘t descend below a certain altitude in „managed mode“ (arrow up). I noticed that this was when I wanted to go below the programmed altitude in the flight plan. Switching to „open descent mode“ (arrow down) solves the problem. Once it‘s activated you can set the descent rate manually (turn the V/S knob without pressing). 

4. Deploying the spoilers helps as well if you want to descend faster. 

There might better ways to handle this but that‘s how I managed to avoid such situations.

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2