Sign in to follow this  
Guest slydon

Never mind payware FSX addons. . .. what about the freeware!

Guest Tingoose

I see that freeware developers are are clamouring to get their new creationsinto the FSX library not! Yet another indication, as if it were needed, that FSX is a thanksgiving turkey, or is that too insulting to turkeys and thanksgiving? Not intended. We FSX whinegers and complainers were right then. . . . The politest I can be is that FSX will go down in history as 'problematical'!!

>I see that freeware developers are are clamouring to get>their new creationsinto the FSX library not! Yet another>indication, as if it were needed, that FSX is a thanksgiving>turkey, or is that too insulting to turkeys and thanksgiving? >Not intended. >>We FSX whinegers and complainers were right then. . . . The>politest I can be is that FSX will go down in history as>'problematical'!! Well golly gee whiz! I at least can understand why there's a shortage of freeware FSX releases...The bloody TOOLS for GMax haven't been released yet!!!The only modeling tools released with the FSX DVDs are for Max7/8, and I dare say that there aren't a lot of freeware developers who OWN Max7 or Max8, given the ~$3600 cost of the program!As it happens, the SDK Update (which contains the GMax Tools) is being beta tested right now, and will hopefully be released within a few more weeks.Until then, freeware developers are just as frustrated as you are... :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi there,it's truly amazing how some people insist on embarrassing themselves in public :+ Let's see: most of my freeware scenery projects take about six months to complete. How long has FSX been available? And, as Bill has pointed out, that doesn't take into account the time it takes until we have sufficient knowledge of the changes and updated SDKs and tools available.How about spending less time trolling and more time producing something of value to share with the community?Cheers, Holger

I'm curious if you would be willing to elaborate on just what you were expecting, and perhaps how long you feel it should have taken to have those expectations fulfilled. This particular freeware designer wasn't on the beta. As such, I've had a full version for the same length of time that you've had one. I'm still trying to figure out what works and what doesn't - not only within the sim itself, but also in the Gauge and Panel SDK. I don't work at it full time - not even within the scope of evenings and weekends. I do this for my own enjoyment, not to meet someone else's timetable.Given the way knives are being tossed around this place right now, I'm not about to release anything until I feel it's good and ready for prime time.Doug Dawson

Guest FxF3

here is tons of freeware already out for FSX. All you got to do is look under FS2004 a lot of it works just fine. :) I love the Aspen airport scenery. You just have to look around. I really wish I had some of the problems you guys are bringing up so maybe I could see it different. Everything has just gone so well with my FSX I almost feel guilty. Some of you guy's cant get it installed others cant get any FPS. Not sure what the problems are when it just worked for me. Tingoose you got to stop these drive-by threads on FSX. :)

I'm very surprised at the small quantity of FSX freeware addons. When FS9 and FS2002 were released there was a lot more freeware ... especially within four weeks!

Hi there,that's because FS2002 and FS2004 were each incremental changes to previous versions. FSX is a whole new ballgame and many design elements, for aircraft as well as scenery add-ons, have to be re-built from scratch. Even FS9 stuff that appears to be working in FSX, like land class or terrain mesh, is far from complete or optimal when used with FSX.In any case, it's too early to make a statement about the proliferation or lack thereof of FSX-designated add-ons. Time will tell...Cheers, Holger

As near as can figure FSX has been on the market now for about a month. What exactly did you expect? You haven't got a clue. If your trying to start another thread for bashing FSX you may have succeeded. If you don't like FSX put it on a shelf; go back to FS9 and shut up.

Exactly my point made [a href=http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=121&topic_id=373654&mesg_id=373654&page=#373840]here[/a]. Aside from having meshes already built, just about everything else is having to be done from scratch...Best,Owen

Guest cwright

I released the new version of AutoStar for FSX weeks ago, though it's not in the Avsim library.The reason why I released this new version rather neatly demonstrates a rather important fact: that in many ways FSX is far superior to FS9. In this particular case, the FSX stars are displayed with full 24 bit colour while the FS9 stars have no colour and the brightness dynamic range is a crippling 3:1.I just received the new England and Wales VFR scenery today. It is absolutely stunning, though there are some problems that I'm confident will be fixed pretty soon. Again, it demonstrates the advanced capabilities of FSX, in this case 1 meter textures. They are crisp and do not suffer from any noticeable blurriness, and it runs *very* smoothly (unlike the old VFR scenery on FS9!). It is far, far beyond anything FS9 is capable of. Best regards, Chris

Guest Len

>>> As near as can figure FSX has been on the market now for>about a > month.>> What exactly did you expect? You haven't got a clue. If>your > trying to start another thread for bashing FSX you may have>> succeeded. If you don't like FSX put it on a shelf; go back>to > FS9 and shut up.>Those pesky naysayers just can't be shut up. They bother you a lot though don't they?

>Hi there,>>it's truly amazing how some people insist on embarrassing>themselves in public :+ >>Let's see: most of my freeware scenery projects take about six>months to complete. How long has FSX been available? And, as>Bill has pointed out, that doesn't take into account the time>it takes until we have sufficient knowledge of the changes and>updated SDKs and tools available.>>How about spending less time trolling and more time producing>something of value to share with the community?>>Cheers, HolgerExcellent reply Holger!Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest FxF3

:-roll Adds nothing to topic. I have seen you do a lot of that Len. Has FSX given you trouble? We are here to help.Bruce:-wave

Guest robby88

Yep Bill and Holger have more or less said it all. The SDK service pack which includes gmax export tools and scripts, and documentation on how to use 3DS tools, only became available just over a week ago and has yet to be publicly released. Any add-on takes a long time to create. There are many new features offered by the FS X SDK that designers will want to make use of in their projects and like any new gain this comes at a bit of a cost in having to learn and experiment with new features.Given the complaints from some about compatabilty problems, I can recall more than one AVSIM thread in the past where some of the posters were urging Microsoft to forget about backward compatability and develop and all new sim from the ground up. Can you imagine the pandemonium and mayhem that would have resulted if MS had heeded these posts and created an all new engine. Those who desire compatabilty can be thankful MS endeavoured to maintain a level of backward compatability.Look what happened to the CFS franchise when CFS3 moved to an all new engine a few years ago... new file formats, new terrain system, hard coded animations and gauges, no compatability with CFS2 or FS2002/04. Thankfully ACES did not do this with FS (though some might disagree ;) )Instead they've maintained a reasonable level of compatibilty while adding many significant new features.