Sign in to follow this  
Guest slydon

Never mind payware FSX addons. . .. what about the freeware!

Guest JohnEGPF

The Swiss Alps mesh Is a big improvement on the default, try a flight into Lugano RW19 ..stunning approach have a Crossair video of this approach , and the FSX version is pretty close to the real thing.Only thing I don't like is the way the mountain textures are shown in FSX, peaks and slopes are very "sandy" looking.John

Hi All:Some valid points by all in this thread.Many older add-ons will still work, and merit being tried in FSX.The new and exciting potential for add-ons promised in FSX requires using many new SDK techniques that will take a while to learn and then quite a while to produce, probably longer than FS2002/FS2004 used to require.Tingoose and others (who may not have stopped to consider the difficult mechanics of add-on development) before expressing your frustration:It would be good to show some respect for the generosity of freeware and payware developers who are willing to bother taking on an even tougher challenge in FSX than they have ever had to in the past.Just imagine the frustration developers feel as they survey the mountain they will now have to climb!It may prove to be difficult for even payware projects to turn a profit at a price that FS add-on consumers are willing to pay, because of the more complex methodology the new FSX SDK now requires to produce add-ons that are FSX compliant and/or able to display FSX enhancements over what we see in FS2002/FS2004!And consider the frustration that developers feel after being promised that the SDKs would ship on the retail DVD (what's the date today... one month later, and no 3D G-Max gamepak available to study, much yet use?). And this in spite of being on the Beta team all along, but not being given a chance to study it as they took their time uncompensated to participate in the Beta program?Well, time for a little levity.:-sun1(I sometimes insist on embarrassing myself in public):-outta GaryGB: "Before you criticize someone, it is best to first walk a mile in their shoes"Trolls: "Yeah, that way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away... AND you have their shoes!"Hey Bill and Holger, I think I may have something that will make your day, and at least in a virtual sense "relieve" some of your pent-up frustrations over FSX:http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=55561&start=30Happy Flying!:-bigangel GaryGB

Guest FxF3

John try Garett's mods they help in the US. He may do more as time goes on for Europe and other place but this will at least let you see what can be done in Fixing FSX. This are must have mods.Mode:1Name: fsxdesertmod_1a.zipAuthor: Garett SchmidtDate: Novemeber 2006Version: 1.00Mod:2File Name: fsxtexturemod_1b.zipAuthor: Garett SchmidtDate: Novemeber 2006Version: 1.01 Update

Hi Gary,thanks for the sentiment and the link to the (always appreciated) humor!Perhaps a few clarifications, if I may:* there's no frustration with FSX on my part, just curiosity. I enjoy my "souped up" FS9 and am still developing new add-ons for it but I spend half my days exploring the new possibilities given to us with FSX. Either sim has pros and cons and I can switch back and forth whenever I want to.* FSX (Deluxe) *did* ship with a large number of SDKs, including pretty much all the information a landscape designer needs. I feel for the GMax users but there's much more to FS than just one tool and we know that the GMax SDK is in testing and will be available soon.* ACES team members have been very forthcoming with technical information and tips during the Beta process (more so than I expected) and several FSX developers now are active members in various public design forums. What more can we ask for? Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger:Thanks for the clarification! :-) Probably my wording was a bit disproportionate to the situation as I jovially "stretched the facts" (something I also sometimes do in an attempt to embarrass myself now and then!) to tie in a marginally compatible "storyline" to my satirical post over at SimFlight.:-wink2I hope everyone feels a sense of relief about all this soon (...by 8 A.M.?):-lol GaryGB

Don't blame me, I just uploaded this repaint freebie to the AVSIM file library with exactly this issue in mind.With all the tweeking and testing that people are doing on FSX, I figured a suitable aircraft was required, so what better than one in an 'air test' scheme? :-)http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j105/Ala...0screengrab.gif

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Guest KaelOost

>Hi there,>>it's truly amazing how some people insist on embarrassing>themselves in public :+ >>Let's see: most of my freeware scenery projects take about six>months to complete. How long has FSX been available? And, as>Bill has pointed out, that doesn't take into account the time>it takes until we have sufficient knowledge of the changes and>updated SDKs and tools available.>>How about spending less time trolling and more time producing>something of value to share with the community?>>Cheers, HolgerExactly. What a tool of an original poster.

If you are looking for nice freeware aircraft to use in FSX, you can check out the thread I started at http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...71804&mode=fullMy goal for the last couple of years is to find aircraft with functional VC's, so you'll see a prediliction to that in the aircraft I have chosen to transfer so far. I've also tried to choose a range of different types of aircraft as well.I've also already replaced all the airliner paints with real airline paints for use with the default traffic, though I understand many of the other traffic programs work in FSX as well. All of the default aircraft repaints I used I got from here at Avsim, all created for FSX.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest slydon

FSX has been out less than a month and you expect a flood of freeware already!!!!!!!!!! WOW is all I can say.System-- Gateway desktop FX400 Intel ® Pentium D CPU 2.80 GHZ 1512 ram Nvidea 6200 turbo cache 93.71 drivers Windows xp pro media center edition version2002 service pack 2