Sign in to follow this  
Guest KaelOost

AFCAD for FSX?

Guest KaelOost

Hey all,I've resisted all temptation to return FSX to the store and decided to stick it out. Given that, I want to customerise it as quick as I can back to what I had in FS9. The AI traffic is easy as all the FS9 models and flight plans are working a treat. Unfortunatly as many know, the FS9 airports are apparantly in a different format to FSX and the good 'ol AFCAD doesn't work for them.What I'm curious about is if anybody has any idea when a program like AFCAD may be available? Does anybody know who is working on one? Payware or freeware? I've been going thru various forums without any luck at finding any info. Any news would be much appreciated.

Guest KaelOost

I'm bumping my own post because I continue to see airports for FSX being released with added runways and taxi ways etc... but I still can't find a program, Similiar to AFCAD that works with FSX?Anybody help me out?

It's in the SDK...TaxiwayParkingThis element is used to add a parking spot to the taxiway network. Taxiway parking spots can have preferred airline designations. Since the network will contain many taxiway points (and possibly parking spots), each of these locations need to have an

the FS9 airports are apparantly in a different format to FSX and the good 'ol AFCAD doesn't work for them.Yes and no.There are some new elements in FSX airports which are not in FS9 airports - but the file format is basically the same.AFCAD is not compliant with the FS2004 SDK standards. Lee did not have access to the SDK during the development of AFCAD - it came out months later. He did a fantastic job without doucmentation - but AFCAD does have its share of issues.There is a group at fsdeveloper.com working on a FSX scenery design tool to include graphical elements to replace many AFCAD functions.Right now most folks are working with XML code from the BGLComp SDK in the deluxe edition - which isn't terrible difficult. We have a tool to pull the information from FSX APXnnnnn.bgl files, there is documentation in the SDK where to find the relevant airport information file.I've done two airports - CYHZ - changed the runway designations, and KORH - added jetways and modified the parking. Added x_rwy technique to have both runways open.I haven't released them because I'm still trying to understand the many changes to AI aircraft behavior in FSX from FS2004.If you would like to test with them, drop me a PM with your address.

so which sdk do u use? the bgl comp sdk? or the scenery design sdk? also where do u find the bglcomp sdk?

The BGLComp SDK concerns airports.It does not address terrain polygons - the flattens for airports.If you have the deluxe version of FSX, you can install the SDK's from the first DVD. They will install by default in the Microsoft Games folder under Program files.A good place to discuss specifics of compiling BGL files in fsdeveloper.com or projectai.comThese type files get into some detail and sometimes busy forums like this are not the best place for those.

Guest wyoming

Sky!'s "Stratus Soup" on Fly! simulator. You would literally whispilly emerge from the layer.

First - start with a SMALL airport.Identify the airport source file - using the terrain grid to find the folder / file name. (Also the AP9nnnnn.bgl file which AFCAD shows for the default airport is the same APXnnnnn.bgl file for the FSX airport data - just a different folder)Decompile the airport - you will need the beta tool from Winfried Orthmann in the thread on fsdeveloper.com.Setup delete airport and exclude statements for elements you will change - do not setup statements for elements you will not change.If you change parking - you must copy the entire taxiway network, including the runways, over to the new file.I use FSUIPC linked to AFCAD to identify the locations for parking posts, taxiway nodes, etc.Compile the file and test.Repeat if necessary.Always work from XML source files (I use Wordpad or a share-ware program Textppad), never decompile your own .BGL files.