Sign in to follow this  
Guest RGH

What and how do we improve FSX

Guest RGH

Hi.Very few people who are new to flight simulation have the nowhow how to tweek FSX and when you helpfull experianced simers tell us to change XXX to YYY in the cfg file a lot of people do not understand were and how to do this,If The Tecnical minded people can work out fixes,why dont Microsoft fix it for us.And worst of all when we have made changes and there is no lmprovement we wonder have we done it wrong.We see people with FPS twice what we have whith much less pc power.Would it be posible for someone to help all of of us moaners and learners,with as they say an idiot proof post on what and how to do the fixes and find the files,And maybe the moderators could make it a sticky.I am sure it would be very much appreciated by all us newby simers and Microsoft.All the best.Rex

Guest Tingoose

"And worst of all when we have made changes and there is no lmprovement we wonder have we done it wrong."Be careful of adopting tweaks indiscriminately, some are downright dangerous to your system, some are useless and some may just work. Get FS9 and enjoy that. In a year or two get FSX. It might just run OK then for people other than those who fly in the bush where the environment does not tax the system unduly.

Guest RGH

Hi tin goose.Thank you for your reply.Rex

I agree. It would be nice to have all the "fixes" in one place in language that everyone can understand.

Guest sgalbincea

Here's a simple FPS fix: turn autogen OFF.

I actually think the pinned "fixes" thread idea is a bad one because as mentioned above, some of these so called fixes do nothing, some mess up all sorts.A tried and tested thread, on the other hand, would be very usefull.Dreamfleet Project ManagerGreatest Airliners - DC-8Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjethttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

Guest gulfstreamg100

>I actually think the pinned "fixes" thread idea is a bad one>because as mentioned above, some of these so called fixes do>nothing, some mess up all sorts.>>A tried and tested thread, on the other hand, would be very>usefull.>>Dreamfleet Project Manager>Greatest Airliners - DC-8>Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjet>>http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpgI agree Mr Golding.... At first, i applied every available tweak, including changing textures, renaming files, deleting files etc etc etc..but at one point i lost all the 2D bitmaps..Main 2D panels, GPS, any 2D window...so i did a reinstall, and the only tweaks i applied were the ones inside the FSX.cfg, adding some sections and adjusting others..."funny" thing is, the sim is running much smoother now than it did with all the tweaks..Best Regards

The strange thing is that I'm using FSX with no tweaks and 1 add-on airliner :-) and I swear that without making any setting changes it is actually performing better each time I use it!Even stranger, I had the same thing happening with beta 2 on my old knackered PC.Dreamfleet Project ManagerGreatest Airliners - DC-8Greatest Airliners - 727 Whisperjethttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...BANNER_PAUL.jpg

Cheers

Paul Golding

Guest marcdavison

>Here's a simple FPS fix: turn autogen OFF.Absolutley. It's made the biggest difference to me and with FSX's better textures (forgetting the somewhat ott desert landclass) I don't feel I am mising out too much right now.Hopefully at some point someone will sort out the issue with the autogen that seems to bring so many systems to their knees and we can enjoy fsx even more.I have to say my initial experience of FSX was one of frustration, but I've not got it to a poinjt where I have a consistent 20fps and visually it is looking better than my heavily customized FS9 in many respects.I've stayed away from many of the offered tweaks as there is more than a little smell of snakeoil about some...Marc.

Guest gulfstreamg100

Hehe...yeah, kind of the same here..maybe i could leave the sim alone, without any tweaks, but the autogen affects my system, so i applied the suggested FSX.cfg tweak to reduce it..Mainly because i really like the new trees! and that tweak sure works wonderfully, at least to meBest Regards

Guest RGH

Hi again allI just put my original FSX-CFG file back, set up the sims sliders to 50%Mid or Half way Road veh/ships/boats 10% FPS at Heathrow 10 to 11 FPS at Bristol Uk 20 to 22. Then I put in these fixes reduce tree types from 10 to 2 /added FIBER-FRAME TO .25/ ADDED PoolSize=5000000 increase Heathrow 11 to 12 Bristol 21 to 24 RIG ASUS-A8N32SLI AMD64x2-4800@2.6mhz /2GB corsairXMX3200C2pt TwinX @ 3,8,4,4 / Taggon 800W /loaded on a WD Rapter/GeForce 2x 7900gtx @650clockAnd for the people who keep saying there must be something wrong with my set up I have just run 3D Mark 05 score 13270.It seems the ones I picked to use are not very good, this is why I suggested that people who realy know what is safe and will work it would help a lot of us to be able to refer to a fixed post. Sorry if I keep going on, but I would love to see all the Hangers at Heathrow again in FSX, as for FS9 I got rid of that when I built this PC.All the bestRex

Guest FxF3

I would stay away from the texture reduction tweaks if your new to it. I myself only use the clouds reduction tweak.Plus cfg tweaks which aces has given us. Not even sure if you can call those tweaks.I guess the biggest tweak would be the biggest single core overclocked cpu that you can get your hands on.

Guest RGH

Hi.This was my gripe with Microsoft in a previous post.When I built this pcIt was a choice between the FX57 and X2-4800 And microsoft said back then that FSX would be compatable with all the latest technology,I got the X2.To replace that in the Uk with a 939pin FX57 would set me Back

Guest RGH

Hi Adrian.Thank you for the link. I just ran task manager with FSX.By the way on the lighter side if you want a 6FPS gain pause the sim.Cpu usage was topping out at 54% max on one and just a scribble on the base of the other Page file memory was running at 874MB.no problem there.Talking about FSX in Vista I am unable to find out what the promised Update is going to be for,If we have updated our PC to work with Directx[x]that for most will mean new mobo and gpu.will the update allow FSX to work in that enviroment.or will it allow my setup to opperate to the max if I change to Vista,I just have lost all confidence in microsoft,All the bestRex