Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Futuristic 'Flying-V' airplane makes successful 1st flight

Seems both interesting and odd at the same time......

https://www.cnn.com/travel/amp/flying-v-maiden-flight-intl-scli-grm/index.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

As cool as it is, why did they not show the landing?? :ph34r:

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

8 minutes ago, HighBypass said:

Yeah, that occurred to me too. I'd say probably a good quarter of maiden RC flights of unusual types end up with a wreck.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

To be fair the pilot did do a reasonable low pass, so that "should" have boded well for a landing... :unsure:

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Two fuselage sections, so presumably more passenger capacity?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

41 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Two fuselage sections, so presumably more passenger capacity?

At the very beginning of the video, it mentions 314 passengers.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Reminds me of the "old" Boeing X-48.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

@Murmur I still have the old Lionheart Boeing 797 blended body AKA Boeing X48 in FSX. It appears that the flying V design just takes the X48 and cuts a large notch in the back end :happy:

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

On 9/6/2020 at 2:55 PM, HighBypass said:

Oh sorry, was it a landing of this futuristic concept you wish to see? 

Here you go... 

Rule Britannia!!! 🙂

• Like 2

Is there anything more futuristic and impressive than the Victor Bomber? Looks like it's from a Star Wars movie. 

I recall, after its retirement, what was supposed to be  a fast run of the Victor  at Bruntingthorpe, resulted in the Victor taking to the air. The pilot called for the throttles to be pulled back and the co-pilot froze. Pilot manged to get it back down and land on the grass. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Oh sorry, was it a landing of this futuristic concept you wish to see? 

Here you go... 

Rule Britannia!!! 🙂

The skill of the pilots is amazing!!!

The Vulcan yes. Watched it fly quite a few times at airshows, including its last RIAT display. Also got the chance to check out the interior at the Coventry air museum.

Regarding the Victor... A victor visiting the US, suffered an engine failure so couldn't fly at the assigned altitude. Fearing they would be asked to land, something they couldn't do due to the classified equipment on board, they instead changed frequencies every time their altitude was challenged. Got 17 violations by the time the trip ended. 😀

They also spotted a UFO...

https://exposure.press/introducing-the-victor-v-bomber/

A light at their  streaked past them at a speed they had never witnessed before in the air. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 2

@martin-w MARTIN! YES! Most excellent posts! Love it! :cool:🍻

Mark Robinson