Sign in to follow this  
kt069

How to organize Community folder ?

As Community folder getting crowded everyday more and more, we need to organize the liveries, sceneries, etc. in folders , in order to control them.

Does anyone have an idea about what to do ? How can we sort them into categories ? ( I am not sure if it works by making category folders an putting each in the related folder. I think, every addon needs to be directly under the Community folder ? )  (I am not asking to use ModMan or something similar .)

Thanks for ideas.

Edited by kt069

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

I think you can create a top folder per category and the sim still picks it up, not tried this myself yet but a quick test should yield the right answer.

Thomas Derbyshire

Don't know if folders and subfolders work.

Another method of organization is renaming folder names -- I add APT (ICAO) before airport folders, TERRAIN before mesh fix folders, OBJECT before single objects (like Sydney harbour bridge), or LIVERY before paintings. This helps me to keep track of what I have installed.

I think what might be needed in the long run is to prioritize scenery addons if they are in the same region, similar to X-Plane's Custom Scenery folder.

• Like 1

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

18 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

I think you can create a top folder per category and the sim still picks it up, not tried this myself yet but a quick test should yield the right answer.

Unfortunately, I tried this and put the addon airports under the "Airports" folder(under Community folder)  and did not work.

• Like 1

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV

3 minutes ago, MarioDonick said:

Don't know if folders and subfolders work.

Another method of organization is renaming folder names -- I add APT (ICAO) before airport folders, TERRAIN before mesh fix folders, OBJECT before single objects (like Sydney harbour bridge), or LIVERY before paintings. This helps me to keep track of what I have installed.

I think what might be needed in the long run is to prioritize scenery addons if they are in the same region, similar to X-Plane's Custom Scenery folder.

Yes, this can help. Thanks.

Anybody knows if we can have external community folder? Or link pointing to another hard disk like in XP11 where you can put a link in the Custom_Scenery folder

With the huge amount of scenery and the huge size of then (Paderborn just for example is freeware and 3.6 GB download) we soon need more than one disk

• Upvote 1

Subfolders, from what I have seen, do not work.    Naming will matter when it comes to priority, as the sim "stacks" in alpahbetical order... here come the "zzz_"  folder names.  🙂

I believe you should be able to move your Community folder to another drive and link it into the Packages folder with a directory junction, though.

15 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

as the sim "stacks" in alpahbetical order

Ah good to know, thx.

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

Seriously, guys, MSFS created a stunningly simple system and you are mucking it up by adding needless complications. Drop the folder into the community folder. Do a simple search if you want to find something. 

• Like 1

Orbx airports simply drop a Symbolic Link shortcut into the Community folder.

If you do that, the actual scenery can be anywhere 🙂

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2

Bert

Thanx Bert, in effect shortcuts do not work but symbolic links do. Glad to see the same approach of XP scenery folder has been followed.