Sign in to follow this  
Guest FxF3

G1000: FS X version vs Mindstar version

I'm very fond of the FS X G1000 (of which I made no secret on this forum ;)). Now I had a look at the complete feature list of the (according to some people) superior Mindstar G1000 (http://www.mindstarprods.com/aviation/G1000_Features.html) and was surprised at how much functions the FS X version has... It even has functions the Mindstar G1000 doesn't yet have! The functions the FS X does not have are very little and can hardly justify the purchase imho... I mean, it costs 50 dollars, while FS X (Deluxe) cost me 64 all in all!!! Is there anyone here who has the Mindstar G1000 AND the FS X one who can tell me why the Mindstar version would still be a good buy...?

>It even has functions the Mindstar G1000 doesn't yet>have! The functions the FS X does not have are very little and>can hardly justify the purchase imho... I mean, it costs 50>dollars, while FS X (Deluxe) cost me 64 all in all!!! >>Is there anyone here who has the Mindstar G1000 AND the FS X>one who can tell me why the Mindstar version would still be a>good buy...???? Name even one function the default G1000 XML has that the Mindstar G1000 doesn't...Can you create a complete flightplan in the default G1000?Can you edit a flightplan in the default G1000?Can you save a flightplan in the default G1000?Can you load a flightplan in the default G1000?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

One? Let's name some more...:PFD:DCLTR De-clutter SoftkeyMFD:GPS Direct-To Button on MFDGPS FPL Flight Plan Button on MFDGPS CLR Button on MFDGPS Menu Button on MFDPROC Inst Procedures Button on MFD(The DCLTR De-clutter Softkey isn't even mentioned in the MFD list...) (And yes, I know all MFD functions above DO work in the PFD. But the FS X version has them on the MFD, working and all.)General Operational Items:Compatibility with Sim's Flight PlannerFile IFR EnrouteIFR Flight CommunicationAh, yes, forgot about the flightplanner... You name four things, but in fact it's one thing ;): the flightplanner doesn't really work, it only shows you what the filed plan is. You can only add approaches to it or use it for Direct To (even on the MFD... ;)). The reason I forgor about the planner is that I am perfectly happy with the FS X planner and really do not wish or have the desire to enter plans waypoint by waypoint by waypoint... although that would be more realistic of course. I know these items are worked on, but things like the FS planner compatibility won't be fixed with the upcoming patch (AFAIK). And since the last patch took a few months, I wonder how long it will take before everything works.Apart form that (and apart from the planner, maybe): the functions the FS X G1000 offers are all I really need... Other functions are nice (I loved the complete feel of the GNS43O!) but not really necessary FOR ME (!). I'm still amazed at what the FS X G1000 can do: it is NOT a simple piece of defaultjunkware. Imho. ;) Considering the fact that you get G1000 with the Deluxe version (and all other FS X stuff with it! ;)) I don't think anyone can honestly say it's crap. For a default FS instrument it's very good.The fact that you only mention the missing planner option proves I'm right. ;)

Guest FxF3

I'm glad its in the deluxe version it was a great upgrade from the standard version.

I believe all the features you've mentioned above are available in the current beta version of the Mindstar G1000. There's also a new support & discusson forum on the Mindstar Aviation website. (As of today)

It really boils down to what you want to use the simulator for. If you are not a pilot and want to look at something that is somewhat like the real instrument and you view the simulator as a "game" then the default FSX Garmin unit is just fine. If you are a real pilot and especially if you are familiar with the actual instrument because you fly the real aircraft with the real instrument in it you should be very sensitive to just how realistically the instrument in this "game" functions. I have always been critical of the misconceptions that this simulated reality has on the uninformed and especially when they start thinking that with this simulator they can master real flight... and hop right into the flight deck of a 747 and operate it single pilot! The Mindstar Garmin G1000 simulation is not designed for the armchair wannabe pilot looking for a $19.99 addon, it is specifically designed as a training aid for real pilots making the transition over to glass cockpits in GA aircraft and at this point is still a work in progress as more real to life features are getting introduced (that don't tax your CPU more than it can handle). While it was "discovered" on this forum and I even wrote the review for it, don't mistake yourself into thinking this was developed for the PC simulator crowd. This is for proper, button for button, knob for knob, sequence for sequence learning of the real instrument for familiarity and safe operation in the real world.Safe flying... and fun simming,Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Craig,Could you explain what you mean? The last time I read the page, they specifically said "DO NOT create a flight plan in FS, do it in the Mindstar G1000". Has this changed?Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Sorry to confuse you. I meant that you can create a FP in FSX and use it in the FSX Garmin 1000. I was responding to the 4th question in a previous post.Can you create a complete flightplan in the default G1000?Can you edit a flightplan in the default G1000?Can you save a flightplan in the default G1000?Can you load a flightplan in the default G1000?

>> Sorry to confuse you. I meant that you can create a FP in>FSX and > use it in the FSX Garmin 1000.>> I was responding to the 4th question in a previous post.>>Can you create a complete flightplan in the default G1000?>Can you edit a flightplan in the default G1000?>Can you save a flightplan in the default G1000?>Can you load a flightplan in the default G1000? I meant of course, can you load a previously saved flightplan that was created with the G1000.Sorry for any possible confusion...As Zane wrote though, the Mindstar G1000 was never intended for the "caual simmer," but instead is marketed specifically to and for real pilot's familiarization and training. :-walksmile

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator