Sign in to follow this  
TimothyNathan

Screen flashes when GNS screen changes

If I sit the GNS430W on a panel, the whole screen flashes when anything on the 430 changes.

So, for example, if the MSG annunciator or OK is flashing, the whole screen flashes, if something changes, say swapping the radio frequency, then the screen flashes once.

If I stick the 430 on a separate screen (say an iPad) then the screen doesn't flash.

Any ideas?

Hi,

Let's start with a few necessary questions first:

• What simulator?
  • What version?
  • What OS?
  • What version?
  • What video card?
  • What driver version?
  • Any video showcasing the issue?

Otherwise I believe XP11.50 has specific release notes about this kind of issue:

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/updating-amd-drivers-for-x-plane-and-vulkan/

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-11-50-release-notes/

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thank you for the additional (necessary) information and especially for the video.

The GNS V2 is basically just "painting" a textured quad on the screen and that is all. The Video shows the entire screen blanks out for 1 frame (it seems so) every time it is drawing. This is definitely a bug in XP11 and/or XP11 with this NVidia driver which is causing this in my opinion and you might want to send a bug report to Laminar.

I'll cross check running OGL only with a more recent card and driver and let you know.

In the meantime, is this flashing if running XP11 in a window instead of full screen (or vice-versa I can't tell how do you run it from the video alone)?

Edited by RXP

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

[update] no flashing with 26.21.14.4614 at least on our systems.

Please note your card can use the latest driver:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/162977/

Is there any reason holding it back?

You might want to review your log.txt, the first lines where it dumps the card capabilities and maybe you'll find some warnings there?

Edited by RXP

There is no change in our product rendering code, so at this stage, if this was working with 11.41 and no longer with 11.50, this is most likely a XP11.50 bug and you'd rather submit a bug report to Laminar. There has been a few regressions in the XP11.50 OGL path during the long beta and this might just be one more which just went under the radar during this time.

Sure enough you'll help them debug if this is a new issue, but more importantly you'd get the chance to have a solution right away if they already know about it don't you think?

Otherwise, what do you mean with "way back"? Is this reverting to XP11.41? If so, there is no way I know of but again they might have a way they'd tell you which we don't know?!?

And what about this:

9 hours ago, RXP said:

You might want to review your log.txt, the first lines where it dumps the card capabilities and maybe you'll find some warnings there?

Please understand I'm willing to help you as much as I can but this is clearly a problem between XP11 and the graphics driver only, and Laminar would be best to advise what you could do.

I have updated the graphics driver to no avail.

Below is the report to Laminar, I hold out little hope, but I'll report back if they say anything.

From= timothy@tdn.email
Product= XPlane
Version= 11.50r3
OS= Windows
Summary= Screen flashes when Reality XP GNS screen changes
Description= Situation: 
At all times when Reality XP GNS is running as a plug-in

What you expected to happen:
X-Plane not to flash

What actually happened:
The X-Plane screen flashes each time the GNS screen changes which means all the time when in flight (as GPS position changes).  The flashing does not happen if RXP GNS is moved to a different screen.  This is all clearly shown on videos.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/73561pwgt3ctnj9/RXP%20Flash.mp4?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ncg4h42vqa3pje/RXP%20Different%20screen%20no%20flash.mp4?dl=0

I have used GEForce Experience to ensure latest NVIDIA driver is installed, but this happens with drivers ranging from 2014 to the latest, so it is not a driver issue.

Steps= Steps to trigger the bug, including locations, settings, et c.:
Run X-Plane anywhere with the Reality XP GNS plug-in running

Occurs with no third-pary add-ons?: 

No

RXP Author states: "The GNS V2 is basically just "painting" a textured quad on the screen and that is all. The Video shows the entire screen blanks out for 1 frame (it seems so) every time it is drawing. This is definitely a bug in XP11 and/or XP11 with this NVidia driver which is causing this in my opinion and you might want to send a bug report to Laminar."

Changes to your system that caused the bug to appear (if any):
Upgrade to latest beta.
Consents to storing personal data= Yes 

This is unsurprising:

Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide much support for 3rd party add-ons. I would recommend contacting the developer/vendor of the plugin.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience,

Danial Wilkinson

I replied:

I have done. He says it’s definitely a your problem.

I’ll pass your details to him, as there’s really no point in me sitting in the middle.

Timothy

His email is bugreports@x-plane.com

Can I just check that you've seen this and are considering the appropriate next steps?

I don't like to nag, but have you seen this thread?

I don't know what to think.  You are clearly at your desk, because you launched a new version yesterday, but I get no answer on here for nearly three weeks.

Is this because you are working on it, the issue is insoluble or I am not important enough to talk to?

It's very perplexing.

I am still waiting for a response.  Is anybody there?

Hi Timothy,

I'm sorry for the unfortunate and unexpected delay.

I've been looking about this last time and there is nothing changed in our code which could cause this at all and this is the reason I was mentioning this most likely is a video driver bug and/or a bug introduced in XP11.50 OGL graphics code they could have missed during Vulkan implementation. For this reason it made sense to me to suggest you contact them directly because they might have a clue, or a known bug listed internally, about this.

I certainly don't want you to go back and forth with no solution. I'll further the request to them then because at this stage this is basically what they're suggesting we do.

Just a quick note that I don't have much news for now and I'm still waiting for the XP11 devs additional suggestions.