Sign in to follow this  
Stealthystevie

No Vágar Airport..?

This was always one of my favourite airports in X-plane, and the surrounding scenery was decent too (..although it may have been 3rd-party; I can't quite remember).  However, in FS2020 the whole of the Faroe Islands are forgettable.  The sim barely knows they're there!  Here's hoping someone with the know-how adds to the area at some point down the line.   

Edited by Stealthystevie

There are apparently plenty of airports missing in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, so this is not a unique situation. Based on the total lack of decent photoscenery of the Faroe Islands available anywhere in the entire Solar System, it does not surprise me that they are poorly represented in MSFS. I have always wanted a decent Vagar airport in P3D (and at least one is available), but sadly the quality of photoscenery available for the surrounding islands is pathetic.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The above effort is mine. Still plenty to refine with it. 

I looked at readjusting other parts of the Faroes but the whole place is so uninspiring to look at it kind of put me off. 

I read somewhere that they bought a much lower quality of imagery above a certain parallel which explains why everywhere in the far North is terrible. The Faroes must fall inside that line. 

That might also explain why Shetland goes mad above Lerwick. I think the line crosses it there. 

That I did have a go at repairing - https://flightsim.to/file/1067/shetland-islands-complete-overhaul#

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

There are apparently plenty of airports missing in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator, so this is not a unique situation. Based on the total lack of decent photoscenery of the Faroe Islands available anywhere in the entire Solar System, it does not surprise me that they are poorly represented in MSFS. I have always wanted a decent Vagar airport in P3D (and at least one is available), but sadly the quality of photoscenery available for the surrounding islands is pathetic.

If i remember correctly, the whole faroe islands including Vagar was done in XP11 by aerosoft, and it was pretty amazing, although as you said, entirely handmade as no satelites photos are available. (im sure some air forces have them but thats something thats never gonna be available to us unfortunately)